1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing Nightly makes me worried

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Feathery Dust, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

a bunch of people in this thread earlier said it.

2. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

tho is it does make you feel better (i feel every post i make in this thread starts with this)
    i do know a dev sead that they olny added it in for testing for the devs becouse they thought it was too easy
    and would be balancing it out once it would hit stable
    i think it was omni?

3. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

I just know that a lot of players will certainly not be pleased with ore drops being forced into normal. It would be pretty unwise in a business sense to alienate a large portion of your user base in this way. So getting rid of it would be nice.

4. It's also unwise to speak on behalf of other people. There are more than a few people who think ore dropping is fine. I've also said this before, There are hundreds of thousands of copies sold and this forum represents a small portion of those, like less than 1% of the player base.

Untrustedlife likes this.
  5. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

the likey thing that will happen is normal mode will stay the same
    and they will add an easy mode that makes ores not drop and propley less pixels on death

6. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

Tell me, where did I say everyone thought it was bad? I said a large portion. To think my statement was in any way, shape, or form is incorrect would be a lie. If you think for even a second that only a small number of people would dislike ore drops, especially considering the forum reactions? Who are you trying to fool here? Anyway I'm not going to be dragged into a ridiculous argument with you. Quit trying to provoke me.

I think this is NOT the best way to handle ore dropping unless they give us the ability to (legitimately) change the difficulty of our characters. As stated in other threads, many of us who made normal characters made normal characters because we don't like losing 'items' on death. Making a higher difficulty between normal and hardcore where ore drops are incurred would be the most suitable option since those that DO like ore drops can have that. The rest of people who started normal difficulty would be able to continue playing as normal. It's far more of a win/win than making an 'easy' difficulty and screwing people over who play normal difficulty for this reason.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    DrakeWymulf likes this.
  7. I was saying, the forum reaction here is not really a valid sample of the community at large. You can't say a "large portion" agree with you when the majority of players don't post here. Hell most of them don't post anywhere.

Provocation is not my goal. I personally appreciate when people speak for themselves and only themselves.

8. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Cool it, guys. Surely you're capable of keeping things civil?

9. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Actually, the point of testing in an indie game is to provide feedback, and the developers have to come to terms that they might have to change things if they want to keep a happy player-base. I used to have the Extra Credits video that would detail how if you were a game developer, you'd have to face the possibility of changing something you consider to be yours because sometimes, people in large enough numbers just don't like something (especially if it wasn't in before, then it's modifying the game rules suddenly) if you don't want to risk shooting yourself in the foot.

Woden and Feathery Dust like this.
  10. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

Even if that's misinformation Tymon's right about the whole point of beta testing, why else would a developer let people play an unfinished product if they don't need feedback? It's called beta testing for a reason.

11. To sate an impatient fan-base that's on the verge of rioting due to misinformation and speculation on their business practices and development strategies?

12. Starbug

Starbug Guest

I think most of us buy Early Access to have fun with what is there in any given title, and see new content added in future.

Many players like this new form of buying a game and getting a peek inside the games development process. I would dispute the premise that has been banded around that the developers don't want feedback until post 1.0. I don't think that is in the spirit of early access.

Perhaps the owner / project lead just said that in haste after a few bad weeks / months of critical (and sometimes downright rude) feedback.

13. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

I agree. Simply because I find the current stable build a slight bit too easy and not very challenging at all. It makes making mine shafts a lot more logical and the better way to go about mining. Heck, it gives finding a dungeon that specifically leads underground much more worthwhile.

14. SalmonMax

SalmonMax Title Not Found

Seems like the easy solution is to have a difficulty setting, similar to the oft-mentioned Terraria, where you can make it so you only lose money when you die, or set it a bit higher so you scatter the items in your inventory on dying (but can go get them back if you're quick enough), or do the permadeath thing.

Then everyone gets to play the game they want.

I know it feels funny to crib a feature, but some things just make too much sense to avoid just because someone else did it first.

DrakeWymulf and Feathery Dust like this.
  15. Lemuria

Lemuria Subatomic Cosmonaut

Floran finally wiped out directoriess and fired up the nightly again.

Floran iss concerned - Floran ended up on a planet with no easily accessible plant fiberss. Sseemss ridiculouss to have to deal with farming just to get a ssimple bow. No bow, no delving to the depthss of a planet to repair thrusterss.

Floran is also not being ssuccessful at sstabbing creaturess, when they take a good sseven to eight hitss but can kill Floran in three hitss. Floran can't upgrade, either, because ore is now ssomewhere between a fiery afterlife and the actual core of a planet. Floran probably could wall thingss off, but that sseems kind of lame to Floran. Admittedly, thiss is probably Floran being rusty at sstabbing, but Floran thinkss new players might find combat a bit infuriating.

Floran ssuspectss this iss all untuned nightly sstuff, but Floran feelss the need to post about it because Floran thinkss it would not be ssuitable as iss for an actual sstab... sstab sstab sstab! Ahem. Ssstable release.

rhomboid, DrakeWymulf and Woden like this.
  16. claudekennilol

claudekennilol Space Kumquat

Holy sharks you drop ore on death now? (and bars!?) Screw that. I already edited it so that when I didn't drop pixels on death. Haven't touched the game in a while due to the lack of udpates. I still check the blog. Rarely check the forums. This is a huge mistake.

DrakeWymulf and Starbug like this.
  17. The bars dropping is a bug and the ore WILL be recoverable.

Untrustedlife, Lintton and Serenity like this.
  18. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

Hopefully it's just a test, and they won't force it into actual stable. This would really kill what little desire I have left to continue playing and putting in effort. If they do keep it in normal difficulty, it's going to ruin the game for a lot of people, myself included. I can only hope they do the smart thing and do the same thing they did before with higher difficulty levels and stuff. Stuff previously posted in here however people were saying it was just a test, and it would be removed? I'm really confused by all this. I just hope it IS removed though, or if it is kept at least pushed into some new difficulty, because item drops of any kind just flat out sucks and frustrates me to no end.

And yeah, I've suggested this as an alternative. Adding like a mediumcore difficulty where you drop ores on death. Everyone wins. The people who like ore drops can have it, the people who started normal difficulty characters and don't want their stuff screwed with aren't injured, there are no losers there.

DrakeWymulf likes this.
  19. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

20. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Even if ores can be recovered, I'm still going to use a mod that has it so the only thing you drop are pixels on death. That or I'll just pray the ore farming mod is kept up to date.

DrakeWymulf likes this.