1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Plans for post release content

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Leokins

Leokins Subatomic Cosmonaut

Necromancy approved.

PoroCYon, Insane and Gumdrop Meadowz like this.
  2. AlphaMongoose

AlphaMongoose Ketchup Robot

That is my computer.

3. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Sorry. It just... was one of those things that needed to be said. Far, far too many developers, big and small, will make a game, hype potential fans to a frenzy, release the game, and then just grab the money and run. It's freakin' deplorable. I'm not gonna name names; I'm sure anyone who's been following game news knows a few examples of what I'm talking about.

What Tiy is offering here is the exact opposite of that. Ongoing support for the whole lifespan of the game, defined as "so long as people are playing it" - with an actual plan for succession once the primary dev crew is ready to move on. A lot of dev companies promise lifetime support. A few even make a credible effort to deliver on it. But I've never seen a single one say, "Y'know what? We're going to move on eventually, but even when we do, we've got a plan in place to keep giving you support, even when we're no longer around."

A lot of hullabaloo is made of a customer's loyalty to a particular brand or company. Well, this might be (or at the very least, I'm hoping it is), a shift towards the opposite, with brands and companies selling well based on their loyalty to their customer base. It would honestly be such a breath of fresh air in a number of industries, and not just video games, if that were to happen. Who doesn't want to feel valuable and desired, rather than being treated like just another number for the balance sheet?

4. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Meh, a month and a few days later is hardly necromancy (I think of it as 2-3 months or more, a lot recently have been almost a year later). Besides, unlike most threads, this one at least deserves to stay alive.

I highly doubt I will keep playing this game for years to come, but I may pop in once in a while. I just don't think in 2-3 years I'll be playing much (the only games that have kept my attention for years is Smash Bros. and Mario Kart). But I am relieved to know that Tiy is as committed as he is, I think we need more of that in this industry. :)

PoroCYon likes this.
  5. Leokins

Leokins Subatomic Cosmonaut

Dead is dead! :viking:

PoroCYon likes this.
  6. PoroCYon

PoroCYon Void-Bound Voyager

well... you can still respawn (exept for hardcore characters...)

7. Eldritch

Eldritch Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think I'll do a Dead is Dead character. Probably an Avian, the gliding armor would help avoid enemies.

PoroCYon likes this.
  8. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

No. It is always better to post in an existing thread than opening a new one.

If someone reads this post written by a dev and they want to say their opinion about it, why making an entirely new thread for it?

Rivalyn and PoroCYon like this.
  9. Sinvoid

Sinvoid Phantasmal Quasar

I have to say for a game that doesn't have a subscription fee I greatly Appreciate this. I realize that the cost of constantly supporting a game / updating it is rather expensive.
    I cannot stress enough how amazing it is that you plan on doing this, rest assured if the game reaches the quality I suspect it will I will throw as much money as i can
    to continue to support the future development of Starbound. I'm excited to see what you have so far folks. :rainbow:

10. Eccentric

Eccentric Pangalactic Porcupine

It has a tipping jar system.
    I tipped them 5$ just because I wanted to use the tipping jar system.X3
    And you can only tip them while pre-ordering Starbound.

11. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

12. Passarbye

Passarbye Phantasmal Quasar

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Well, i'm not asking for this tech to be applied in 3D for Starbound... Starbound only needs a 2D Version of this new tech. :)

14. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

It's not that which is the problem. It's a very advanced and cutting edge technique which requires a lot of computational power to carry out. Not only this but starbound already has a water system which simulates pressure and whatnot, so they don't really need this. This is more for AAA games looking to enhance realness.

PoroCYon likes this.
  15. Eccentric

Eccentric Pangalactic Porcupine

I can already imagine it.

It would look neat if the waves would actually splash with the white stream effect.

16. Miles

Miles Void-Bound Voyager

We love you, Tiy :gooby:

Axe Garian likes this.
  17. PoroCYon

PoroCYon Void-Bound Voyager

And I love your necromancy power!

18. Miles

Miles Void-Bound Voyager

yeah, i know !

PoroCYon likes this.
  19. Antireversal

Antireversal Master Chief

This policy is exactly what should be expected out of modern game developers. With that said, it RARELY happens. This alone makes you guys deserve the millions people have put into the game by pre-orders alone.

20. Oraiu

Oraiu Cosmic Narwhal

Fine with this, Just lets pray to god,the secondary dev team doesnt screw things up!

Bamseper and PoroCYon like this.