Planets with Multiple Biomes (Not just one!)

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Captainhindsite, May 22, 2013.

1. Captainhindsite

Captainhindsite Void-Bound Voyager

I'm personally not that into the idea of a planet being limited only to one biome. Since when is an entire planet a savannah? I think this would be epic if changed. Yeah, maybe here and there there could be a planet that is one biome only, but I have a good idea as to how to spice this up (if the devs like it the other way, so be it). Instead of the whole planet being the same biome, perhaps parts of the planet could be a certain biome. For example, a system of continents where each continent has it's OWN biome so there could be a lot more variety on each planet.Who knows, you might even be able to travel to other continents on foot!Thank you for letting me voice my opinion, and please, give me your thoughts below! :proper:

2. LuizFernando6Th

LuizFernando6Th Aquatic Astronaut

Well, I think that will have planets with biomes and even mini biomes​

3. Captainhindsite

Well, from what I've seen on gameplay videos, and reading posts, it seems as if the direction the biome system is heading is more towards the idea of one-biome planets with mini biomes inside. What I'm trying to say is that planets should have more than one biome on each continent along with the mini biomes inside.

4. LuizFernando6Th

LuizFernando6Th Aquatic Astronaut

For example, varied biomes like the planet Earth?

5. Captainhindsite

Sort of. Similar to Earth in the sense that Earth has more than one biome. Earth has mountains, plains, etc. This is a beautiful image for Starbound, where most planets could have at least have 3 different biomes.

6. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Master Chief

I sorta assumed that small planets/moons would have 1-2 biomes, and larger planets would have more. That's the way I'd like it to be anyway ;)

7. Pentafrost

Pentafrost Orbital Explorer

From what ive read it seems like they wanna make different biomes on each planet and maybe on bigger planets even more than one biome and then some mini biomes inside that spices it up so nothing will look the same, im thinking that by mini biomes they mean that there could be a dessert and inside there could be hills with sand maybe and some waterholes with small cactus and palms :)

8. Master_Discord

Master_Discord Big Damn Hero

Sci-fi seems to be filled with references to mono-biome planets: Arrakis (and Tatooine and Abidos for that matter), Hoth, Vulcan - sometimes it seems like Earth is the only planet they expect to have a varied biosphere. Then again, every sci-fi I've ever seen or read focused on earth-like life forms. Most science articles are written like "This planet couldn't support life" instead of "Earth-like life couldn't survive there." Maybe sentient sporks or lizards made out of sand live there, we don't know. :p

Heck, even MARS has different climates, and it barely has an atmosphere.

9. JakeMorph

JakeMorph Aquatic Astronaut

I support this.

I mean, the most obvious thing is that Earth is the only current known planet to have life, and how many biomes does it have? Well, actually, it has pretty much all of them. So it just seems weird to have a planet covered in one sole biome.

Captainhindsite likes this.
  10. Asteroides

Asteroides Subatomic Cosmonaut

Was gonna make a thread like this one

I read that Tiy said there was gonna be 2 creature spawns for a medium sized planet above ground. To me it doesnt sound very planet-y. I would love for biomes to change as you go east and west, even up or down. Like an underground cave jungle powered by gas vents biomes, with bioluminescence type of thing.

If this is not in the game at release, i seriously hope its going to be moddable. It would be awesome to have both types of planets, ones with varied biomes like earth, and ones with single biomes like Hoth in star wars. It would make planets alot more fun to explore, why would i really go east/west on a planet if i know theres only 2 types of creatures to be found? All the exploration is digging down for material.

Even for the one biome planets, it would be cool to have sections of the planets split where different types of arctic creatures spawn.

Some motivated artists could do art assets for when Biomes merge. For example, the place where ice and forest biomes merge would have art being forest trees covered in snow or a taiga with lichens etc...