Modding Discussion Outpost containers keep inventory

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Antikx, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Antikx

Antikx Void-Bound Voyager

Has anyone seen a mod that makes it so all the Outpost containers keep their inventory. I play on my own modded server with friends/family and sometime it would be nice to say, "I left you some rice in the fridge, left of the Teleshop." :)
    I just feel it would make the Outpost a more inviting place to visit.

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

It's not possible, I don't think, because the Outpost is treated as a mission, or if you've ever played a modern MMORPG (WoW, FFXIV, etc), an "Instance".

It's a temporarily-created world that only exists while players are within it and then 10 minutes after the last player has vacated it, it disappears.

AFAIK, without changing how the Outpost works, or re-creating the Outpost to spawn in an asteroid field or something, there's no way to keep stuff from disappearing from the containers without adding said things in the data for the Outpost "Mission" itself (which means it would always spawn every time you go to the Outpost).

EDIT: I do have an idea though.... but my newbie mod knowledge doesn't know if it would actually work...

What if you placed a copy of the Outpost within your "ship" (you'd have to make a custom ship), but off-screen far enough that you can't see it on nearly any standard resolution at full zoom out?

But then I don't know how you would beam to it, or what-not... but it could be something to look into. Can you place a teleporter on your own ship and beam to/from it? lol. I never tried that.

EDIT: Also, the Outpost would probably lose its Matter Manipulator protection too... unless you placed a dungeon generator (which I don't know if it works on a ship) in it... etc etc.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  3. ViralHatred

ViralHatred Void-Bound Voyager

Shield gens work on ships, and you can teleport to a flag on your own ship so you could do that. I am unsure of alternative methods of doing it at this time as I've only just gotten to grips with modding (and loading) things into the outpost.

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

If you want to leave stuff, I'd just find a planet and put a teleporter there. Tell them the coordinates and have them use the teleporter once. Neither of you need to travel to the planet again - just teleport there.

I have considered experimenting with ways to place a mini-dungeon in my shipyards. It would be cool if the blockfile just let you do that by way of
    "dungeon" : "outpost"
    but probably doesn't support that. However I can place an object - an invisible and possibly self-destructing object - that places the dungeon. So that's a possibility, and not a difficult one.

I have placed the outpost in my shipworld before with admin commands. You could do that now without a mod.
    /admin
    /placedungeon outpost
    /admin
    That will place the outpost starting with where your mouse is pointing. Now keep in mind that's getting the whole outpost world so you'd have blank space. It would destroy what's in the way now and ignore the need for anchoring. BACKUP YOUR SHIPWORLD FIRST before attempting this because you may not like the result.

You'd need a modded ship to actually GET there with all the invisible non-real blocks in your way. Or maybe something like the phase shift tech mod?

That might also be too much. I believe the outpost is itself has several microdungeons and it might be better to place the microdungeons rather than spawn the outpost world.

Yes you CAN place a teleporter on your ship and teleport within the same shipworld. You'd want a purchasable teleporter though so you get an added destination. But then the outpost has a suitable teleporter installed already.

Now maybe it would be better to combine what I said at first - go find a planet. Possibly a moon or asteroid field would be coolest.
    /admin
    /placedungeon outpost
    /admin

and that needs no custom ship, no custom techs, and no fear of messing up your shipworld. It would probably fit best in the asteroid field.

ViralHatred likes this.
  5. Antikx

Antikx Void-Bound Voyager

Lots of great ideas, thanks everyone.