1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated [Outdated] Planetside Teleporters 2.11

Configurable teleporters for warping from place to place on a planet or ship.

1. Vaeux

Vaeux Big Damn Hero

Vaeux submitted a new mod:

[Proof of Concept] Planetside Teleporters - Teleporters for warping from place to place on a planet.

Read more about this mod...

2. AndrewSeven

AndrewSeven Void-Bound Voyager

Looks good, that data input device to make coordinates is VERY nice.

3. Its a very nice system, but nothing that hasn't been done already. Sadly the biggest limitation is having to use the tech to manipulate the players position. Hopefully the devs will remove that restriction and bring it towards a more global layer for objects to use as well.

4. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

"Planetside Teleporter"?
    Where are the NVidia PhysX particle effects >:O

5. Vaeux

Vaeux Big Damn Hero

Is there a mod that's done object-based teleporting better than Waypoints? It was the only one I could find that attempted similar teleporting, but it takes several seconds to actually teleport, and doesn't use normal interaction to trigger it (the author claims "E isn't usable for teleporting for technical reasons"). My teleporters act like actual functioning objects, rather than mere receptacles for tech data (which they still are, of course, but it's all about perception) - has that been done already?

But seriously - if there are similar mods I've missed, let me know. I'd like to see how they handled certain things.

Having player movement handled solely on the client-side - as techs are - actually seems pretty reasonable. What's rough is the one-tech-at-a-time limitation, along with no other forms of client-side scripting. Tech handling in general is a common enough complaint that it will surely get addressed eventually.

Pah! The original didn't have PhysX. It barely had physics! And you know what? We liked it!

6. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

But the pretty sparks and rocks :<

7. chewfaimau

chewfaimau Void-Bound Voyager

I have a question, what about teleporting back to the ship? Sorry if this question sounds dumb but does it interfere with normal teleporting functions? But I liked your video and its a very helpful and I want to try it but have a fear of not getting back to my ship.

8. I was referring to the whole "use a tech as a way to teleport with objects" deal already being done. I have fiddled around with it myself but didn't release it as a "mod" along with countless other systems I've come up with. You have certainly progressed the furthest into the teleporting. I was not trying to offend you judging by your response.

9. chewfaimau

thank you for the quick reply and i will give it a try :)

10. AndrewSeven

AndrewSeven Void-Bound Voyager

I had a quick look at the mod code to see how that input panel worked.
    I will have to look at it some more today, I haven't seen anything like it in other mods.

There are a couple of signs/banners mods, but it would be neat to be able to enter text instead of using pre-made ones or single letters. Some kind of handheld labeler (p-Touch)

11. Vaeux

Vaeux Big Damn Hero

Ah, don't worry about offending me. It just seemed like you had jumped to a conclusion about the mod basically working the same as what came before, when it's actually a bit more novel. The notable difference is the method of object-to-tech communication. It sounds like you have experience in this area - what method did you find to work best?

It doesn't interfere with normal teleporting in any way. As far as I'm aware, it's not possible for mods to interact with the standard teleporting mechanics at all, which is actually pretty inconvenient.

I was surprised when I couldn't find any mods that did something similar, since it seems like a handy way to get input, at least until we get some proper input methods. The limits on interaction range would probably make a full keyboard somewhat inconvenient to use, however.

12. chewfaimau

i have tested your mod and its really useful mod, I like the fact that I can input the coordinates and make me take to where I want to go thank you for such a great mod I hope this gets add to the game or further developed.

13. Kasdar

Kasdar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

is it possible to use this to teleport around on a ship? For the custom ships that I might use which are rather large?

14. jadenguy

jadenguy Void-Bound Voyager

Back up your files and give it a shot. We only have hours until the great purge...

15. Vaeux

Vaeux Big Damn Hero

Yep. Functionally, a ship isn't really different from a planet, so things work the same on both. It'll look the same as the standard ship teleporter, though.

16. iraham

iraham Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What magic has to be done to make the Furious K compatible? I tried to hack it and I just end up with tons of perfectly generic items... :(

17. petecis

petecis Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, same question from me too. I love this teleporter mod. Any plans to update it to work with Furious Koala?

18. Brixmon

Brixmon Phantasmal Quasar

Doesn't work. When I drop the coordinates onto the teleporter and press E, it just says "No coordinates entered. Please drop coordinates onto teleporter."

19. petecis

petecis Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I played around with the mod a little to get it running on Furious Koala. Got past the type conversion issues. However, it seems that non of the tech initialization code is getting run. As a result the coordinates and everything inside the tech card are nil. When you drop the tech card onto the teleporter it basically fails. I see that the coords card gets created in the game, but none of the spawn coords code is getting run. I dont know enough about starbound modding to be much more use though :-(

20. Vaeux

Vaeux Big Damn Hero

Huh, I didn't notice that the emails I was supposed to be getting from forum replies were getting flagged as spam.

To be honest, I was kinda hoping everyone had just forgotten about this mod. It never got much attention, and I ended up losing interest.

I was tempted to update it for Furious Koala, but now that wipes have stopped, I wouldn't feel comfortable releasing something unless I fully intended to keep it up-to-date. If I don't, and someone ends up having to jury rig or remove it, it could result in the loss of teleporters, or even character loading issues related to the tech.

Requiring a tech at all is an ugly workaround for the API's limitations, which don't really seem to be improving. My feelings have shifted from "you can do some novel stuff with roundabout tech usage" to "the need for roundabout tech usage is dumb and I'm not sure Chucklefish even cares". It just feels like such a mess, and I'm not sure when or if it will get better; it's discouraging.

I might still update it, though I haven't even started looking into what stuff the update broke. No guarantees. Sorry.