Other bits and pieces from today 23rd June

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jun 23, 2014.

1. davidlolcat

davidlolcat Subatomic Cosmonaut

Loving the pace of the updates! Keep it up.

2. Jeoshua

Jeoshua Existential Complex

What's wrong with it becoming a cheat menu, in a mod? Wouldn't that be a perfect place to put that kind of stuff? At least it would be a better and less obtrusive place to put it than a loom, or a new crafting table.

3. Jeoshua

Jeoshua Existential Complex

@Tiy @GeorgeV

I know, it's gauche to summon devs like this, but this is in direct relation to the parallax backgrounds. While watching the Twitch combat and seeing the parallax backgrounds, I had a thought about the backgrounds that would be a quick and dirty fix to something that's been bothering me: The stars. They seem to swirl around your character, always. What if you changed the center of their rotation to the bottom of the screen? That would give the impression that the stars are a dome over your character instead of making it seem like you're near the north pole of the planet and the stars are swirling around YOU.

Simple idea, simple fix, good results. What do you think?

Blinn likes this.
  4. Giles

Giles Master Chief

whoa cool! o_O

I think the acronym could use a little work... maybe like "Shipboard Artificial Intelligence Liaison" -- It works as a liaison between your character and your ships' various task-focused AIs and protocol layers.

\\ Of course, if the only thing I can find to complain about is the name, it must be on a pretty solid foundation. I look forward to seeing how this develops into 1.0!

But yeah, 'lattice'?

-> Reply with acronyms for SAIL

5. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i keep misreading it as lettice
    [​IMG]

Giles likes this.
  6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Except... that's lettuce. :pfff:

Dargona1018 and Ado like this.
  7. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

we dont pronoce it that way in amarica
    we say let-tis
    not let-us
    atlest i do anyways :p

8. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Except this isn't about pronounciation, it's about spelling. :hylotl:

Jeoshua likes this.
  9. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i blame auto-correct not doing the work for me :cool:

10. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I blame autocorrect for the continuing decline of spelling skill the world over. But shit's getting out of hand, again, so let's get back off on topic.

Boshed and Jeoshua like this.
  11. KiraSlith

KiraSlith Void-Bound Voyager

• USER WAS TEMPBANNED FOR THIS POST. Reason: LOSING THEIR COOL. Expires: 3 DAYS
    Ban me, come on, fucking do it you Lilly liveried fuckwits. I don't want my account here any longer. Your wipes have created a cheating based community of useless maggots.

12. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Yeah,guys.Don't go off-topic.It seems like these new mods don't hesitate on clicking that big shiny ban button.

13. ArchieTheMuffin

ArchieTheMuffin Tentacle Wrangler

He's not the Poster this forum deserves, but he's the one it needs.

Dargona1018 likes this.
  14. Jedi65

Jedi65 Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, If anything 'ship-based' to 'shipboard'. That actually flows WAAAY smoother...

15. Jedi65

Jedi65 Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, this looks really good actually. Not for everything mind you, but for certain loot maybe? Then give those things a 50/50 chance to either be awesome or blow up in your face! OOH! THEN YOU COULD SELL BAD THINGS TO MERCHANTS AND WATCH THEM INADVERTANTLY BLOW THEMSELVES UP!!!!

>Profit 1360550184014.jpg

16. Galaxydog1

Galaxydog1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That parallax screenshot looks pretty cool :) but what i'm REALLY digging is the "issue command" window for the A.I
    Even if it's going to contain preset commands, I can definitely see a mod being released allowing you to "create" your own commands.
    Keep up the good work!

17. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That'd depend entirely on the nature of the commands. If they're but simple references to hardcoded effects, we can't do shit. But hey, maybe they aren't.

18. Galaxydog1

Galaxydog1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm not a modder myself, but I was thinking: what if someone created a mod that implemented robots on your ship and somehow the modder added a feature that allowed the player to program these robots to do helpful things, like automatically smelt the ores that you place in a specific storage container or organize your storage so that you don't have to spend 5 minutes cleaning up every time you come back from a planetary expedition? The ship A.I could be used as a medium to tell the robots what to do through commands that you created yourself.
    I know this is a little far fetched, but modders in the Minecraft modding community have actually created programmable computers and robots (an example being "ComputerCraft") that run on lua based code programmed by the player (all done in-game) that cut down trees, mine for specific ores, send redstone signals(redstone being electrical wires used in Minecraft) and wireless redstone signals, and even dance (dunno what that's about)
    Anyway, the point is: It isn't impossible, but it certainly isn't easy.

19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

But if they're but simple references to hardcoded effects, like plenty things are, we can't do shit. Minecraft doesn't have that limitation because as a Java program it was de/recompilable and thus extendable on that deep a level Starbound isn't.
    And my point is, that if they're hardcoded, it is impossible.