Orbital Colosseum

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Daitenshi, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

Huh that could be interesting. Like if it's a "Duel" between players and there's like a spectator mode that allows those not participating to watch.

Jedesis likes this.
  2. Jedesis

Jedesis Ketchup Robot

Yeah something like that would be great.

3. Daitenshi

Time To resurrect this thread I suppose. Woot Woot :)

4. Supagriff

Supagriff Astral Cartographer

I'm thinking that the implementation of controlling the pet, wouldn't be that hard. You have a right, and a left mouse button action. You also have movement and jumps. Where upon capturing a monster, the code gives the pet two actions that you can control. Probably a melee and a ranged attack, where the attack speed and health and whatnot is determined upon training.

5. Daitenshi

Hmm I suppose that depends on how the code handles player Input and Control. However you re correct It may not be too difficult.

6. GunmanRex

GunmanRex Oxygen Tank

Man. I forgot all about this.

7. Daitenshi

I decided to res it with the implementation of the Suggestions vote system.

GunmanRex likes this.
  8. Supagriff

This thread kinda reminds me of the Kingdom Hearts Colosseum. And I think this is by far, one of the best ideas on this forum.

9. Daitenshi

Why Thank you! And yes I did take inspiration from several games including Kingdom Hearts. Vote it up on the New Suggestion Voting... Page. Thing. Do you have any Ideas or concerns?

10. Supagriff

I would say, as a concern, the Colosseum should be in some kind of restricted space. To elaborate, no pvp allowed, even remotely close to the base. This will stop people wanting to gank you on the way to it (or out of it). As a sugestion, I think a competition against the Developers would be awesome! Another idea would be random or given starting weapons and armor. Same gear, same guns, and the same enemies. This will narrow it down to pure skill. That way, when the leader boards are posted for this colosseum, you did it just like everyone else. Also, MECH fighting! You could customize your own mech, and pit it against others. And maybe a mech and player obstacle course. Just throwing this out there, and i'm sure this has been mentioned, but scaling enemies, with party size. The enemies should get harder, the more people are in a party. As an added bonus, it would be awesome if they had a raid boss. Some over-the-top, big bad evil guy, that you needed 15 dudes, running and gunning to take down. That would be epic.

PS. Do you know what page this suggestion is on, on the voting page?

11. Daitenshi

Those are some incredibly valid ideas!
    Lets start with the first

Colosseum should be in some kind of restricted space:
    • The Idea of an Orbital Colosseum would allow this. Think of it like a satellite or a Moon on which players warp down to. This will allow for PvP to be restricted in this zone UNLESS they are in the arena itself.
    I think a competition against the Developers would be awesome!
    • I agree! But people always want to gank the poor Devs. Maybe an NPC based on the Devs? Just for S's and G's
    Same gear, same guns, and the same enemies. This will narrow it down to pure skill
    • Sheesh! Why Didn't I think of that! That is absolutely Brilliant! Yes in Ranked situations I think this would be the best.
    MECH fighting!
    • Oh you are bringing back memories of Mech Warrior. This would be awesome to incorporate larger battlefields with Vehicles and Mechs.
    Scaling enemies, with party size. The enemies should get harder, the more people are in a party.
    • I think overall this would be good. The difficulty is not with scaling but with having it remain properly balanced with players without simply adding MORE enemies.
    Some over-the-top, big bad evil guy.
    • I don't remember if i mentioned it but I "Think" I mentioned something like a boss at the end of each Cup. I think you're getting at Individual bosses that would REQUIRE 5-10 Players to beat. The biggest issue with this is that some people would like to play alone. However if the boss scales for players, then we may have something going here.

12. Supagriff

This idea was mainly meant for the challenge side of this. At the end of every cup there should be a BBEG. But you should be able to party up with your friends, and do something more along the lines of a raid boss in WoW. So you waltz up to the colosseum, and instead of applying to fight in a cup, on the main page, you hit the tab titled RAID. It switches over, and gives you a preview of the available RAID bosses (maybe there is a limited supply of them at any given time, so it is not common that you get to do this), and a prompt comes up and says "You must have at least 5 people in your party to continue." You select OKAY, and it teleports you in to the arena with your friends. Granted this is more of a PvE kind of thing, but it is a fun twist when you are tired of PvP.

13. Daitenshi

Yeah That makes sense. I really intend this to be just as much of an End-Game experience as a tiered one. I can imagine the Bosses at Tier 10... Chaos. Pure Chaos! Eventually players WILL get bored of Tier 10 Worlds. Or will clear them out. Having alternative goals is ALWAYS important. Especially since some people don't want to collect everything and just want more Combat. Raid bosses and the Colosseum in general will provide Motivation and Content for all players. With the addition of player made Battlegrounds/Arenas the variation is limitless!

Edit: I added the Current Up-vote Page this suggestion is on. it will change. So stay tuned.

14. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

I will have to disagree with forcing players to use the same gear and equipment, as this will put certain players of equal skill at a disadvantage to others. This will be because some players may have used similar type of weapons to the starter weapons throughout the game while others were better at different type of weaponry (not even to mention the player modules).

Since each weapon is tiered the PVP battles should be tiered based as well so every player can fight to their own preference and it would be up to the devs to ensure the weapons are balanced.

15. Supagriff

That game variant, i think is the most fair. Even if you have used pistols or rocket launchers the whole game, then you choose to go into a match that gives you an assault rifle, you should still be very competitive. I can understand why you would want to use a weapon you are familiar with, but someone will always be cross about about how the pistol is better and OP than something else. There may even be sub-variants, where you choose what starting weapon you want. So you would have a Ranked Pistol-Only Match, or Ranked Rifle-Only Match, where the pistols or rifles are all the same.

16. Daitenshi

These are my exact words in The original post. The separate Gear Sets that are per-determined are there to address your exact concern. The entire point would be to prevent "Tiy's Kitten Launcher of Damnation" from entering a PvP arena and wasting players without giving them a chance. If a player dies, They should be able to learn from it, get better, and adapt. Not lose all hope.​

edit: I think i understand where the confusion arose. I hope my addition to that sentence helped clarify.

17. Supagriff

18. Daitenshi

Thanks! i added that link to the front page. I'm seriously not sure why this isn't getting as much attention and Weapon Customization is.

19. Supagriff

I personally, I dont like custom weaponization. It seems like it would break the game... But I most assuredly agree. This is an awesome idea!

20. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

My goodness, that is the least orthodox means of getting suggestions from the community I could have possibly thought of.