October 10th - Integration

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Oct 10, 2014.

1. amagicbox

amagicbox Void-Bound Voyager

I installed nightly builds initially; carte blanche. It crashes immediately. Every time. Always.

2. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Also ship combat. Don't forget ship combat.

I'm holding Chucklefish on to that promisse...

3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Ship combat is only planned post 1.0
    Though I see some issues with it.

If they do it FTL style they would have no issues with Vanillia ships. As it won't be difficult ( in a sense ) to make more prefab models top down view of them.
    The only issues are mods which allow custom block ship creation, would essentially not work as intended.

There is another option of course also. The way that Galactic Princess Handles boarding + ship battles is also an option.
    Skip to 2:07 to see the actual gameplay footage.

4. BloodyFingers

Well, while both of those options are quite valid, it requires a shift in pespective that I don't think is feasible. However, there's a game in Steam Early Access called Windforge that has something quite close to what I would envision. It is basically the same Terraria/Starbound formula, only steampunk:

Of course, ship damage and the consequences for losing combat would differ, but that'd be the gist of it.

Edit: Oh shit, does that count as advertising? If so I shall remove the video and just place a link instead. That's the best video depicting ship combat that I could find (There WERE one other video but, due to it's content, I chose not to use).
    Edit2: Bollocks, the game have already been greenlit, so no point in fussing about it...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    The | Suit likes this.
  5. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

oh wow... at both options: galactic princess and windforge. (i don't really see FTL as an option, to be honest xD)
    i wonder if both/either game creators would
    co-op with starbound designers to do the space battles o.o
    "can't we all just.. get along?" xD

BloodyFingers likes this.
  6. BloodyFingers

Ummm... I just have to say, and I hope you don't take this the weird way, but all those colors...

your post looks... delicious...:lickitung:

guess I'm just hungry,,,

Kawa likes this.
  7. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

lolwhat xD how would one not take it 'the weird way'? >w<
    (and how does it look.. delicious.. exactly..? lol)

8. BloodyFingers

I dunno, It just reminded me of ice cream... blimey that did not help at all...

a-anyway, yeah, there is precedent to what you said in that post. Edge of Space, I believe, has content from Terraria (I think it was a boss, but I don't know the details) and the nice thing about Indie Development is that there really is little to no barriers preventing them from collaborating with each other. Everyone wins is what I say.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014