1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Now all procgens suck

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Iaeyan Elyuex, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

My sister caught a large bird monster near a Glitch fortress. She showed it to me. My heart sank as I watched the creature fly into enemies to deal contact damage, just like all the other procedurally generated creatures do. Awesome. Yeah, that's cool. Now they're all boring. Gee, thanks.

2. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

large flying monsters should also have a ranged attack. but yeah, would like to see a little more variety in the way procgen monsters attack. as it is now the only truly interesting procgens are the large flying ones.

3. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

Do you see any bird shooting laser out off their ass in real life? No?
    Though it's a game pretty much ALL ranged damage capabilities are special, NOT their normal attack
    They can spew rainbows and fire from time to time but they won't use it always when they encounter an enemy
    Ranged Weaponry is already OP in starbound so let's don't make mobs just bodyguards that can't be killed by any other creature beacuse they always shoot fire or electric bolts

4. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

You also dont see salamander aliens double-jumping around in real life either. I really dont think its too much to ask to have a little variation in the way the procgen creatures approach the player. As it is now, procgens only seem unique to a surface-level, since most of them just tackle you to attack. Im not saying i want creatures to only attack with ranged moves, but giving them more to work with would make each new encounter actually unique, and not just "oh, like that last one but green with tentacles".

DraikNova and Sh4dowWalker96 like this.
  5. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

If they would at least have their dive move back though. Now they only fly to your X,Y coordinates and die of contact damage, earlier in the game, birds did fancy dive moves to attack you with a different movement pattern. They didn't stay on top of you, but instead flew back to a spot above you. This prevented the contact spam that we now have. The dive attack for big birds could also be combined with a "block while diving" attribute to that attack so that the contact damage taken is ignored while the bird performs the dive. This would get rid of the cases where your pet dies because it actually attacked someone.

6. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I don't know. Do you see gnomes that are able to be carried around and barf rainbows? No?

7. MrVauxs

It was made by a random user who was invited to make a weapon for starbound beacuse he donated the project
    The same goes with nearly all purple tier weapons

8. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

Then have you ever seen a crystal with a beast inside that was able to shoot giant lasers in real life? Erchius is a Chucklefish creation, and while we aren't even able to make lasers as shown in real life, giant birds that sometimes do look like dragons should be able to drown the world in fire ,acid or similar.

This whole real-life vs game comparison that you brought up is not really helpful at all.

9. MrVauxs

I just wanted to say that giving every flying mob ranged attack as default would make them overpowered