November 7th - All the things!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Nov 7, 2014.

1. TheGlitchKing

TheGlitchKing Subatomic Cosmonaut

Please keep in hunger, it'd give so much more purpose to farming(There was supposed to be a whole path of progression for farming.... remember? right? with different subpaths like animal herding? RIGHT???) and separate food and healing.

2. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

and the hyotl (or. whatever the fish people are called) feed on fish instead of food? xD
    and avians on seeds! you know. the ones you plant to GET food.
    what about the plant people (
    sorry, forgot the name)? why do they eat meat? they should feed on water instead. or at least.. on water, also.

jonathonspy likes this.
  3. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

I never needed to make a farm despite needing to eat constantly, what's your point?

4. starboundish

starboundish Phantasmal Quasar

I always loved farming in this game, every Char I've played had his own - pretty big - garden for all the food needs. And I think with the outposts there will be a possibility to sell crops or seeds?
    Maybe I'm mistaken.

5. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

To hear that the hunger system is getting scrapped is immensely disappointing. This kind of compliance to people who want a free ride with no risk is concerning

6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Fish are food, silly.

7. BloodyFingers

Not to mention hylotl are fish...

jonathonspy likes this.
  8. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Amphibians. Not fish. There's a difference

RenaldiForumStar and jonathonspy like this.
  9. BloodyFingers

Right, my apologies.

I forgot hylotl can't even breathe underwater on their own :pfff::pfff::pfff::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:lickitung::fireball:

10. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

X
    Well if they were fish then they wouldn't be able to breathe OUT of water. So think bout that :p

11. BloodyFingers

[​IMG]

Before this gets out of hand, I'm being purposefully inflammatory. The Hylotl are cool, It's all in good jest! :p

RenaldiForumStar likes this.
  12. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Ah no I wasn't getting angry. Just pointing out that unless they wanted to have fishbowl heads constantly, them being fish wouldn't work out well :p

13. Kara G

Kara G Phantasmal Quasar

I like the idea of food giving buffs, but I really think the hunger system should remain but just increase the amount of time it takes to starve by a lot, probably make it a whole one and a half in game days, that way at least players will still have to have and use food, but it won't be such an intrusive factor especially for newer players. Realistically a person wouldn't die in a day without food anyways. I would seriously just increase the time it takes to starve by a large amount.

14. Merlander

Merlander Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not that I know anything about balancing and the like, but what if you made : revolvers at 75% of two-handed firearms, grenade Launchers two-handed, quicker pistols at 60ish% of two-handed firearms. Also I see only a few firearms used: The singleshot (pistols,snipers), Spread (shotguns), Explosive (Launchers), High fire rate (Rifles). Especially if you consider that assault rifles (underpowered) and grenade launchers (overpowered) this only leaves 3 gun types worth using (the single shot, spread, and a grenade launcher.) To help diversify the balancing will help, but if you add some pros to snipers or rocket launchers it might help diversify further possible shot penetration or maybe more ammo types for the Rocket Launcher.

15. Rizsa

Rizsa Void-Bound Voyager

NO! dont do away with the hunger,

thats why i got this game, i LIKE the hunger, and its what you said you wer giveing us, if you REMOVE the hunger 80% of the people in the game wont ever do ANY cooking at all, or evan plant crops, there will be NO need,

i COULD plant a crop!

or i can eat all the bandages :D
    bandages = less work.
    bandages it is

hello person that makes us food on our server! :D your fired

keep the hunger!

we still need food in space >:l

16. grillv20

grillv20 Void-Bound Voyager

About hunger. Why on earth would you TAKE FEATURES OUT OF YOUR GAME?! Why would you get rid of a perfectly fine working system? Why do you need to rework it? Why can't you just keep it as it was? Did you break it or something? Its seriously a waste if you're doing away with this in favor of putting in this food buff system. There will quite literally be no reason to using food and most people will probably just throw all of it away, save for a few actual good pieces of food.

17. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Like I have mentioned before in other topic along these lines of food, this new change would give me not much incentive to grow crops. This would make it less of an incentive to do so. The hunger system I rather enjoyed along side the hot/cold bit. Survival in space to an extent. I may be a builder primarily, but I am not fond of creative mode.

In a game like say minecraft, I usually play in peaceful mode, which means no hunger. I am always updating a particular mod to add the hunger thing to peaceful mode. Granted I do also play on easy in that game from time to time, it was always incentive in easy, but not in peaceful.

In starbound hunger added something to its' semi-peaceful difficulty; where there was not much to worry about. Enemies are eventually outclassed, hence me calling it peaceful in the long run. Having it buff only makes it like potions in say Terraria. I don't use many potions in that setting as is, which means not much farming; or in that games case not much grinding. Now I am not comparing the games to this one just using examples from those games.

I am sure the hunger system divides it into 50-50, people like, peole don't like. It could be split further into those that don't mind either way, but just consider it an annoyance or tediousness. I like some of the ideas set forth, but would be nice if they were in addition to what is already in. Then again it is up to yall to decide what is finally in the vanilla gameplay and the direction the game will take. Only figured I would at least say something in my own view point as I always usually do.

I can see those that enjoy a potion like system, and those the do like it in addition to a hunger, as well many other ways it can be done. After all there are many sides to a coin, as well angles. If the hunger was toned down like someone else mentioned that would be fine, else I guess I have to see if a mod will add it back in. Hopefully one can be made to do so with ease. I prefer playing vanilla if possible, but something like this that was in the initial release of beta was in a way a draw to the game. Well at least for myself.

One the note of the nerf, I actually like the idea of pistols, being dual wielded, having a slight reduction. Being beneficial if you do dual wield them. 50% more increase when dual wielding is quite a bonus. I mainly use the rifles personally if I was to use a gun. This is definitely a decent direction in balancing, I think anyway.

Good to see many of the systems are being worked on and balanced. :)

18. FormalRiceFarmr

FormalRiceFarmr Big Damn Hero

I too love the element of survival and preparation that the hunger system adds. Now that ore drops upon death, it's much more important to bring a supply of food when you dive far underground to mine.
    PLEASE consider leaving it in, even if you heavily change it.

Perhaps as a compromise there could be harder-to-craft foods that give buffs?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  19. Akari_Enderwolf

Akari_Enderwolf Pangalactic Porcupine

I REALLY hope they listen to us on this... KEEP THE HUNGER BAR!
    We LIKE the hunger bar and hunger system, it was fun, I was even planning to make my own hydroponics bays in my ships, without hunger I see no reason to do so, Food becomes worthless.

20. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

Making food useful makes it worthless. haha