November 3rd - Dungeon Shield Generator Implementation

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Bacon Falcon

Bacon Falcon Void-Bound Voyager

This looks absolutely amazing. My hype sense is tingling.

2. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

No. The generator prevents wire changes as well

3. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Oh alright, that's cool

Players could still noclip through though, but that would be cheating anyways, so doesn't count as an issue

4. korvas

korvas Void-Bound Voyager

This is really nice- I was waiting for the day when dungeons became truly interactive like this. Shield generators are great.
    Please release stable soon- I am really in the mood to play this game but I want to wait until it's polished.

5. Corverean

Corverean Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe a craft-able player shield generator that slows the speed that blocks can be damaged also?

Higuera likes this.
  6. Fatal Glitch

Fatal Glitch Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I agree, wiring can get quite big... this screenshot is of a counter that goes from 0-9 then repeats... imagine a clock....

Attached Files:

7. Higuera

Higuera Cosmic Narwhal

oh dear GOD that wiring...
    *head suddenly explodes from overly-complicated wiring*

8. John Donne

John Donne Void-Bound Voyager

Whenever I see "polish" used as an adjective, my mind always jumps to Poland. So in my head, most of the refinement of the game elements is being done over in Poland, for no discernible reason.

Colaymorak likes this.
  9. B-b-banjo

B-b-banjo Master Chief

Now this is what I'm talking about! Does anyone know if this has been implemented yet in, say, the mine shaft dungeon on the nightlies?

10. Higuera

Higuera Cosmic Narwhal

im pretty sure EVERY dungeon in stable is in nighly,along with a few new ones

11. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

So, when you are giving polish to something/someone, are you actually betrothing?

My word, I am a match-maker...

12. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

Simple, have it check for a "player-placed" variable and set the generator once placed to shield player-placed blocks in X radius.

Blake81 likes this.
  13. Flagdread

Flagdread Big Damn Hero

Very nicely done, I'm very impressed and excited by the implications of this.
    Nice work guys!

14. RedReaper

RedReaper Void-Bound Voyager

That is so cool! Keep up the good work guys.

15. Splift

Splift Zero Gravity Genie

Yay, one of the empty dungeons I saw 11 months ago has some switches that work in it now.

Sarcasm aside the news page has been showing a lot of promise in the last several weeks, hopefully it comes together.

16. B-b-banjo

B-b-banjo Master Chief

Thanks, but I was asking if the wiring has been implemented in them yet (in the nightlies).

17. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

here's an idea - why not make the lights in the wiring in/output system a different colour? like blue or yellow or something. that way, an object that already has an input and an output can have its lights switched on and off via the wiring system without actually triggering the device.

i'm talking about the
    purple and red circle thingies that show up everywhere when you have a wiring tool in hand, where you connect the wires so stuff will do.. well.. stuff.

18. Sefidicus

Sefidicus Void-Bound Voyager

Can't we have a 'dungeon', you know, with monsters and traps ? This just looks like hard platforming. I know people always had trouble navigating those Apex 'dungeons'. Just feel like they're not lengthy enough or provide the dungeon feel. Feels more like an abandoned base to me.

Aer_ likes this.
  19. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

You realize this is just a prototype to figure out how to implement this feature right?

20. Unclever title

Unclever title Cosmic Narwhal

Started up a new character in the nightly and found a mine dungeon area. Gotta say I immediately noticed a change in play style as instead of just breaking crates to gather the items inside I now had to check each one and grab every item.

Ultimately I do think it's better, requiring a player to tackle the dungeon without using dirt shields and platforms, but I look forward to when you allow us to place torches in dungeons regardless of a dungeon's shield generator status (assuming you'll allow this at some point). Granted, dealing with the darkness in the mine made it a much spookier and threatening place to go through.

Further, I found out for the first time that you can turn lanterns and floodlights on and off, which is awesome. Particularly the floodlights they have a satisfying SCHUNK noise when they turn on and off.
    Kinda makes me want to set up a monster alert system connected to a pressure plate on the outskirts of my base.