November 27 2014 - Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

I unsubbed from that subreddit when things started getting ugly. Shame to know it hasn't changed :/

2. Mystify

Mystify Void-Bound Voyager

In theory this would be a great idea, but its really hard to do in practice, at least for something like this. There is no 3d model you can use to pile snow on, just a sprite. Simply figuring out which parts of the sprite would be appropriate for snow cover would be effectively impossible to do well. The most feasible thing I can imagine is making a snow cover sprite for each sprite that can be overlayed on top of the existing one, but that would still require an artist to do all of the work, so its not really a big saving.

muf likes this.
  3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Snow falls. Why worry where it goes. M'aiq thinks the snowflakes are pretty.

Tribunus, Jonesy, GorunNova and 4 others like this.
  4. BugsyBro

BugsyBro Void-Bound Voyager

I dont know if this is the place to say this but:

When will all this be released? Im always reading the blogs but the game hasnt updated in a longggggg time. So, will they ever release all this?

5. Colaymorak

Colaymorak Big Damn Hero

it all depends on how you mean released.
    If you mean as a stable build, no idea. No one, least of all the devs actually knows when the next stable release will be. Rest assured that it will be a major overhaul of a lot of things, and an update to everything else, also Novakids look like they'll be there, and better farming.
    Otherwise I would check the nightly build, where they put pretty much everything you see here about once a night.

Hope that helps, if not then someone else may be able to assist with any confusion, possibly even someone with a paycheck. :iswydt:

6. Kyora473

Kyora473 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They're not more important. I'm sure CF would celebrate those if they had staff members from those places, but so far as I'm aware, they're only comprised of people from the UK and US, hence their celebration of American and UK holidays, but not others. If you lived your whole life in russia, would you celebrate Cinco de Mayo? Or Canadian thanksgiving (which is in october), or Halloween? Probably not.

7. kikinaak

kikinaak Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm in the states, have never been to Canada so this is just a guess, but being farther north, your harvest season probably comes earlier than ours, so the celebration comes earlier too?

rhomboid and Colaymorak like this.
  8. Colaymorak

Colaymorak Big Damn Hero

huh. yeah that's probably it.

9. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

Bioluminiscent plants?

That's brilliant.

BloodyFingers and Pingeh like this.
  10. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

Woah, those are fancy. Gonna have to transfer some of those to my planet.

11. Speed Lightning

Speed Lightning Phantasmal Quasar

Happy Late Thanksgiving! I hope that you guys and gals enjoyed it. =D
    This new environment sounds extremely interesting. I look forward to exploring it, let alone simply seeing it.
    Do you know how many other new sub-biomes have been added by the developer team since the most recent stable update?

12. Scarletting

Scarletting Void-Bound Voyager

Most important question:
    What colours do they glow!?

willpill35 likes this.
  13. willpill35

willpill35 Subatomic Cosmonaut

if you go into your starbound properties you can set it to nightly builds. Also if you get tiered of the unstable nightly builds you can un check the nightly update and it will revert to the current stable build.

Also in refrence ot the actualy thread i agree with some of the anit american holiday sentiment if we are going to celebrate one nation specific holiday we should do it for all or only celebrate the ones that are all across the world on the same day. and this is comeing from an american. But happy turkey day to you devs im just saying more holidays to celebrate is not a bad thing. :3

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  14. JayelleAnderson

JayelleAnderson Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I approve of glowies! I look forward to seeing them! :D

15. Mystify

Celebrating every holiday is impossible. Saying you can't celebrate any is just being a wet blanket. If other countries don't put their holiday's in their games, it is not anyone else's job to do it for them, nor does it mean its wrong for them to put in their own holidays.

16. willpill35

willpill35 Subatomic Cosmonaut

And you totaly missed the point of what i said ignorance is bliss i guess. The point was to reduce the Celebrated holidays to ones celebrated global and exclude ones that are specific to a single country.

17. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Wait, what is all this debate about? Are we to determine what others should celebrate or not? Or are we pushing to make every single bloody holiday a party for everyone?

You know, as of today, there is BloodyFingers appreciation day. It involves the sacrifice a goat and donations to me as a way to celebrate this glorious occasion.

Common costumes for this holiday are dilacerated fingers. It is said that if you really mutilate them, I shall bestow good harvest and fertility upon you .

Well? Git!!

Colaymorak and Kawa like this.
  18. GameFreakAaron

GameFreakAaron Aquatic Astronaut

as it turns out that was not my problem lol i had to delete my starbound appdata altogether in order for it to run on any of my computers lol now that thats solved i am playing the crap out of the nightly builds so yeah :D btw we celebrate food holidays because we are awesome freedom and democracy for everyone! :party:

19. Mystify

and I say let anyone celebrate whichever holidays they want. How many truly universal holidays are there? If a holiday is not specific to a country, it is probably specific to a religion instead. Just let people celebrate whichever ones they feel like and leave it at that.

20. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Are you two seriously arguing about holidays? Please don't.

BloodyFingers, Dunto, Tamorr and 3 others like this.