November 17th - The food that makes you buff!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Nov 18, 2014.

1. CAB The Floran

CAB The Floran Yeah, You!

Fireworks!! :D

2. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I don't think it is the role people are disregarding, as it makes it less of a role by dropping it. My reason for saying that is the simple fact that food already had some buffs, granted they were ones that were higher tier crafting; ie the hamburger being one.

I may be one that is urked by the system being dropped, although there is mention of it being put back to an extent; when I don't know. The new system in itself is pretty much like potion brewing, and does cause myself wanting to farm less. I don't have much use for the effects. Now with that said this new system is quite a bit more fleshed out than it was. Having more recipes means more ways into the depth of food tiers. Before there really was not much to the food system where buffs were concerned.

The way they expanded upon this, due to the new effect/affect system they have in place, is what you would expect in having many different choices. I do like this new system, even if it is a lessened incentive to farm for myself. This does not mean I won't, as I am a builder, and as with most that would build for aesthetics; it will not stop me from doing so. For function, not as much. Never mentioned that I would absolutely not use this new system, just would not as often be using it.

Great works take steps to focus on things particular to maybe improve those aspects in the background. Hopefully if/when they do add hunger back it will have a bit more function or feasibility other than what some one else called a timer. And hopefully not too much towards overdoing it. Balance must be made, why not make the buff the focus for now and later then focus how to go about other mechanics. This I am sure is not the last we will see done to food, as there has to be Selling enabled to get that line of progression to be used.

On note I am glad to see the progress and depth taken to this new system, despite the onslaught continuously mentioned. All this is just another step closer to what the devs have envisioned for their goals. :)

All this is the way I see things, and the reason to my quoting is to point out that not "everyone" overlooks or has a complete problem with the changes, although as you said, each to their own; as each has their own opinion or view point on the matter.:)

Appended: Oh yes, fireworks; gotta love em'... Just like awaiting them in the console minecraft to come about. lol

KazeSkyfox likes this.
  3. Caelann

Caelann Void-Bound Voyager

With all this new depth to the food system, if hunger were to be reintroduced, it should definitely make use of a "saturation" mechanic like in Minecraft -- meaning that eating food shouldn't just replenish your hunger meter, it should also keep it filled for longer, like a buffer, depending on how filling the food is. In essence, stopping hunger drain temporarily.

Cheaper, more common, and faster to produce foods would replenish small amounts and wouldn't really have that much (if at all) of a saturation buffer. The more expensive and rare a food is, the more hunger it should replenish; and the longer it takes to produce, the higher a saturation buffer it should have. So top tier foods would both replenish more and be more filling. This is just a rough suggestion, of course, but the idea is to really make higher tier foods worthwhile through the saturation effect.

In addition, some foods could have a big buff at the expense of hunger-related benefits, so they would, in effect, work more like "potions" than food. Drinks are a good possibility.

KazeSkyfox and Tamorr like this.
  4. KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

this isn't a cooking sim, you'll never see people eating your foods or complimenting you on it, there's no gratification in doing that.

just like there is no reason for me to do that either. I like that stuff too, but I'll be overlooked on servers because nobody will need to eat my food.

I usually have hunger enhancement mods on minecraft servers to make people care about the farming mods I install. Otherwise they'll never bother with me and I'll just be isolated from everyone else as opposed to an essential part of the co-op team.

I didn't like the hunger system as it was, I feel like they did the lazy thing and just removed it instead of actually trying to make food stand out as an essential part of gameplay. They're going to need to make food more valuable than glorified buff potions (that I never use in any game ever anyway) to make me care about it again.

and since the farming was one of my favorite aspects that made me feel valid while also doing something I like this hurts my opinion of the game in general.

this is similar to the kind of cooking system I'd like to see.

Caelann likes this.
  5. Caelann

Caelann Void-Bound Voyager

I know that feel. I invariably play as a farmer-type in these kinds of games, and it's always a bit of a blow when people don't really care about the large, efficient, prettied up farms I like to build, because they will happily settle for a tiny corner of land where they can plant a few crops all crammed up against each other, and it's fine by them because it's enough to get by, and they'd rather be doing other things instead (hence my surprise/satisfaction when I found the TFC mod for Minecraft).

That being said, while SB is definitely no cooking sim, do keep in mind the devs have told us a while ago that they're planning on implementing different paths of character specialization and expertise for making money, of which farming and cooking is one. It's no cooking sim, true, but if you take the farming route, you are supposed to become proficient at it, and it is supposed to become your primary source of income. So, making & selling food is (or was, at least) meant to be profitable enough to be your "profession" for all intents.

6. TerrarianoBr

TerrarianoBr Void-Bound Voyager

Pickaxe this breaking too fast...And from what I noticed, minerals are more difficult.....on my map is hard to find iron !! =(

7. Xylott

Xylott Orbital Explorer

As I had said, farming for profit. I don't get personal gratification from others enjoying something I've made. My gratification comes from the wealth that I can get from making them (in games, not in real life). If I can exploit quick riches with crafting food, and other items, then I am all for that. Farming games are fun to me and this would be cool to do in Starbound as a deviation from the normal exploration aspect if I just wanted to do something different from one day to the next. It would even be more awesome if different quadrants of star systems bought and sold seeds and foods for various prices so that you could be a trader.

As for the hunger system, making it more complicated doesn't necessarily lead to it being fun and accessible. If it feels too much like a chore and does not feel like fun to have it there, then forget it. I'd prefer it being off. I want to play a game that feels fun to play and not a chore. If the hunger system can be REWARDING when I have to feed my character and I want to look forward to the next time I want to feed him because it would be fun to do (just like it is when I equip new armor or weapons), then I'd be all for it. But that would be the biggest challenge.

8. KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That would be neat to have. The trading, I mean. I would likely do that, if it were done in an immersive way. It would give me a reason to feel valid on servers and it would have role-play value to me on SP.

I'm a co-op player, if I'm not being useful there is no reason for me to play on servers. In the stable build of starbound there is no way for me to be useful since everyone else is much better at fighting or spelunking than I am except I grow the food because nobody else wants to and it also makes me feel like I'm earning my right to do what I want instead of just having it handed to me which my friends would do for me, but I never feel right about it. If that makes any sense.

Unfortunately if the rumor about making hunger on normal mode is true, that means to get it back, I'll have to put up with ore loss on death as well. Why they can't just make these things modular is beyond me.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014