November 14th - Now we're cooking!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

But what if you can't, or worse, don't want to see anything promising?

2. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

But what if there isn't to begin with? Both options apply.

presidenthobbes likes this.
  3. Mystify

Mystify Void-Bound Voyager

What would a working hunger system look like, in your opinion?

4. If I may further elaborate, perhaps food could've spoiled over time as a counter to being overstocked with over 200 alien meats? Additionally, there could be certain ways to allow the food to last longer (refrigeration?), yet the food would still expire regardless. I do believe food spoiling has been suggested before as well.

Also, if the hunger bar EVER does make a return, please make it more visible instead of popping up every now and then. That itself was one of my biggest pet peeves with it.

5. guyverlord

guyverlord Big Damn Hero

More crops? I'm gonna do so much cooking... And I'm gonna need more storage space, being the materials hoarder that I am...

Please tell me containers with more than 16 spaces are in the works. I'd be a quality of life improvement to not have to look through 4-5 storage lockers to find the one I want.

Naun, Longpork and Royal_Starlord like this.
  6. Chaos Sponge

Chaos Sponge Astral Cartographer

Ok we are working in the business of entertainment, therefore the argument of "Its ENJOYABLE" is a pretty damn huge one

7. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'm not allowed to post "THIS" anymore, so at this point I'm basically just padding the post.

#TeamFridge

Longpork and Dragonith like this.
  8. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

In terms of Starbound like I said at the very least a combination of what we already had PLUS the buffs for cooked foods. I'd also likely tamper with how much hunger bar is filled depending on the food item. Also I would make it so if you are not at least at half hunger bar you would not be able to heal completely.

In terms of gaming as a whole I would opt for something like what project Zomboid has.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    Longpork and Hatsya Souji like this.
  9. Chaos Sponge

Ok let me give you the shit here. This is the business of entertainment. The "Because people want it" is the entire !@$%ing point here so a simple vote should be able to decide it all. Hunger is do able because i was removed. Game makers must balance difficulty and i didn't find food hard to find so if people are complaining that shit is to hard for them, let them die. BUT REALLY a vote would do[DOUBLEPOST=1415995076][/DOUBLEPOST]http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/hunger-bar-and-buffs.86119/
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/hunger-poll.86118/
    READ THESE[DOUBLEPOST=1415995273][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Ok i said that enjoying the game is a huge argument and do you know what i enjoy. Going to distant planets, find all sorts of different foods, and eating them so i don't starve, cause then they are important.... I love hunger, and without it this game seems to be half what it was.... I honestly believe i may close and never reopen starbound until i get hunger back, and if that does not come, it will not open. All i want is

Hunger bar empty- slowly die of hunger
    Hunger bar Full- Well Fed Buff
    THAT IS ALL I DREAM OF!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    Mero, Longpork and Darklight like this.
  10. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I worry about your sanity now.

yclatious likes this.
  11. Chaos Sponge

funny you mention that, and i really think this is weird to go into, but game mean more than games to me sometimes. Hard to explain. More like i roleplay hard enough that i dream in am in game, but that wont be affect by hunger, but thought it funny you mentioned it.

12. Mystify

I am just trying to figure out what in the world you guys expect hunger to be doing when you are on the 50th sector. Typically, if starvation is a serious concern in a game, getting enough food at all is a struggle. You are very short on resources and you are eeking out your survival. Or you have an increasing demand for food, like a country to feed, so you have to be ever increasing your food production to meet your ever increasing needs. What dynamic do you see in starbound?

M_Sipher and Kawa like this.
  13. Chaos Sponge

Let me explain why i complain, when you job is only to make people happy, and simply putting back in a feature already programmed cost nothing, why not do it. It is not like they are making the game for themselves.[DOUBLEPOST=1415995658][/DOUBLEPOST]
    You wouldn't believe how a little point would affect things. For example when i role play i explain everything. For instance- blocks can fly due to app of matter manip. I spent a night trying to find a way to appease my mind on how novakid could make sense. Its just little things that don't add much to the gameplay, but a ton to the story[DOUBLEPOST=1415995755][/DOUBLEPOST]I want hunger to be back by popular demand, and that idea isn't unreasonable since it is a beta

14. Warped Perspectiv

Warped Perspectiv Pangalactic Porcupine

Alright. First off, about 9 people total for 2 polls is NOWHERE near any proof that everyone is in support of it being reimplemented. There are millions of people who own this game. That's a very, very, VERY tiny drop in the bucket.

From the looks of the previous dev blog entries, it DOES look like hunger will be done away with. Not everyone does like the hunger system. Sure, the last dev blog thread had a good majority in favor of it being implemented, but so far this one has been leaning more towards positive takes on it being removed, with a few very vocal defenders of the hunger bar. Having buffs implemented only when it's full wouldn't work, as I'm sure the hunger bar is constantly decreasing after you fill it, albeit at a slow rate.

I also don't feel arguing that "hunger makes it realistic" is too much of a decent argument. We have talking apes and plants that travel through space.

At most, you should focus on trying to get it implemented as an optional thing to be chosen as on or off upon character creation. Everyone can easily get behind allowing an optional feature, as it's not something they're forced to deal with if they don't want to.

I believe this is what Kawa meant when most people don't have arguments in this thread. Nobody is putting in a decent argument for it to be reimplemented. There IS a good argument for making it an optional feature in that some players did enjoy it as a feature, and those who do not would not be affected by it through this manner.

Kawa likes this.
  15. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

There was nothing wrong with hunger per-se, it was just boring. "Must remember to stock up on Item A because Bar A depletes over time and makes annoying noise." It was an annoying noise generator, and I hate those. Beside,s there's much more important battles to fight.

#TeamForTheLoveOfYhwhGetRidOFDropOresOnDeathOnNormal.

steveman0 and Royal_Starlord like this.
  16. Mystify

You can justify a million features with that. Lets say you need to spend 1/3 of your game time sleeping. Then when you get up, you have to brush your teeth, or they will eventually rot. Then you have to put on your armor again, since sleeping in your armor makes no sense. The process of putting on your armor should be time consuming, since armor is hard to put on. Oh, and don't forget to use the restroom before you go. And every so often, you will randomly get sick, which may do anything from being slightly annoying, to rendering your character useless for days, weeks, or months, or if you are really unlucky, kill you.
    How many of those things will improve the story? How playable would the game be after them?

Kabu likes this.
  17. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That's probably one of the better tags I've seen so far.

Mero and Royal_Starlord like this.
  18. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

It's an issue most close to my heart, and the major reason why I stopped playing nightlies. (There was a mod that fixed the problem, but it was never updated. If nothing else I'll just wait for stable and then beg people who understand modding to fix it for me.)

Mero likes this.
  19. Chaos Sponge

Let me explain something. Being someone of beliefs that i have, i have always hated word play. Churches, for example, use it to make people think that something makes sense. Lets just get to the point of, what people think is fun

20. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'll make a note. But no promises.

Mero likes this.