November 14th - Now we're cooking!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

So... ten more pages of futile crosstalk and miscommunication?

Mero, Exxil3d, Roequ and 3 others like this.
  2. SimpleTrooper

SimpleTrooper Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hunger bar was a pretty good thing but I think if new food sistem is well balanced then let it be so. Also as mentioned before Hunger Bar can be added again but like a mod!
    And now we have COFFEE!!!:coffee: After getting coffee evrybody would stay hyper active for whole night! :lickitung:

Mero and Kawa like this.
  3. Tanek

Tanek Pangalactic Porcupine

Looking forward to seeing the changes to foods. :) I wonder if some will still have negative effects along with the positive.

(as a sidenote, just using the word "survive" does not mean something is meant to be in the survival genre. fighting off monsters also qualifies as surviving ;) )

It is the internet, after all.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    Mero and Peelz like this.
  4. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

I thought I had heard somewhere that they were planning on having an option in character creation for having a hunger bar, oh well, I wouldn't turn it on anyway.

5. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

So does having to eat an item from time to time. Just hope the mod that puts it back in is good and stays updated. Yet another disappointing decision after the one to make the home teleport free of charge from the start of the game

Mero, TheKassuriBard and jonathonspy like this.
  6. Golemonium

Golemonium Void-Bound Voyager

So, ehm, one question - can you grow yer' stuff in your ship? I remember seeing Floran high-tier version with big glass room upstairs, and it would be smoking good for farming.

Royal_Starlord likes this.
  7. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That's an excellent question. Let's find out.

Royal_Starlord likes this.
  8. Tanek

Tanek Pangalactic Porcupine

I guess the question would be...why? The hunger bar was an aspect of surviving in the game, yes, but it was not a meaningful one. It wasn't like food was ever scarce. Unless they wanted to MAKE food scarce, or otherwise change the system to become more of a challenge, hunger was nothing more than a periodic annoyance. Not great game play.

Removing it and adding in other uses for food/cooking makes relevant something that was just a way of resetting a countdown clock.
    ------------------

To the growing crops in your ship question, I know it had been possible before. Many people did it to avoid the problem of crop timers stopping when you were not on the planet. I don't know how much of that has changed over time.

Exxil3d, Kabu and jonathonspy like this.
  9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I've never farmed in all 175+ hours I've played so far.
    onboardfarming1.png

Update:
    onboardfarming2.png

Mero, Higuera, Boufman and 4 others like this.
  10. TheNinjaM

TheNinjaM Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think the hunger bar should not be completely removed.:facepalm: It should be at least a difficulty option. i.e. hardcore difficulty now means you must eat. Needing to eat is immersive and great and makes farming and hunting feel worthwhile, otherwise why would you do so? Please do not remove hunger, the only thing that needed to be done with hunger was to make cooking and hunting easier not to remove it all together:cry:.

Mero, krzysztof, Boufman and 3 others like this.
  11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Too late.

12. SupertankerZambda

SupertankerZambda Void-Bound Voyager

13. Madzai

Madzai Phantasmal Quasar

Sorry, if put that way, ANY game is "survival" - even COD. I'm pretty sure, when ppl read "survival" in SB description they mean other things and not fighting off mobs, because this was stated in another paragraph. Yeah, original hunger system was bland, but it needed reworking and not disposal. Same goes for planet survival system - carrying special item in backpack slot doesn't count as survival. No one in sane mind asked SB to be "Don't Starve", but we were promised with some survival element, and right now SB has almost non of them. SB moving close and closer to Terraria in gameplay terms, and that is worrisome.

14. Chaos Sponge

Chaos Sponge Astral Cartographer

I get i am over reacting but i think i might quit playing because of this... i love the hunger, its my favorite part..

krzysztof likes this.
  15. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

You and I remember Budapest Terraria very differently.

16. Albussystems

Albussystems Pangalactic Porcupine

... kay^^

Thats alot of farmables :D
    The system for the buffs sound interesting!

I do not understand the praise about food healing you. I use "Bananacreampie" and similar all the time in the current stable and i get "heal" and "speedboost"! So thats nothing new there, sry!^^

I am still a bit surprised and a bit sad about the hungerbar...

I do hope the Buffsystem and the new recipes will be fun though,.... itrytokeepanopenmind^^

Edit: Is it just me or are the pictures too small to view?!
    Can i get a link with a full resolution for the sheet please! .D

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  17. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

if it was so trivial then there was no need to remove it at all. All of those uses could have been coded in WHILE keeping in the hunger bar. >_> Again the two methods are NOT mutually exclusive.

Mero and TheKassuriBard like this.
  18. LOL BALL

LOL BALL Existential Complex

I kinda liked spamming my face with thousands of pizza every second. (° n °)

Mero, Longpork and Kawa like this.
  19. Chaos Sponge

Chaos Sponge Astral Cartographer

WHY THE HELL NOT KEEP HUNGER BAR AND HAVE THE BUFFS SAME TIME

Mero, krzysztof, Boufman and 4 others like this.
  20. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Precisely what I was saying.

Mero, krzysztof and Hatsya Souji like this.