November 14th - Now we're cooking!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Nov 14, 2014.

1. weirdee

weirdee Big Damn Hero

I'm glad that the developers have decided to go in the other direction and crank up the food complexity, but I also want to know if it's possible to sell cooked food somewhere...

2. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

I suspect that - beside other players - many NPC vendors will be able and willing to pay some pixels for quality edibles.

3. Perq

Perq Phantasmal Quasar

Sooo, hunger is still gone. Even tho the major part of community voiced that it should be worked on, rather than scrapped, devs picked the easy way out.

I see some people saying that this system is only an annoyance after an hour or so. Maybe it is - now. It can be worked around, so it can be something to worry about all the time. Pressing the buttons doesn't have to be manual too - set up food to be automatically used at X point. It does require some work tho, so all that stuff was scrapped into lackluster buffs.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    Ferrettomato likes this.
  4. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

Well, actually, there is still discussion going about it, with slight possibility that at least some compromise will be made (that on top of 7th November news thread). The whole matter and considerable unrest in community in connection to the decision of hunger elimination was brought to devteam's attention and we may possibly expect some more news about that soon-ish.

As for the second part I - as my earlier post indicates - do agree. Hunger - however problematic - was actually underdeveloped. It could and should be refined, rather than simplified even further.

Higuera and Beatrice like this.
  5. supernovus

supernovus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

After the current master branch is merged back into stable, there will be a lot more nifty APIs to work with, including the new status system. At that time, if nobody else has taken it up, maybe I'll look at building a configurable survival mod, with hunger, thirst, fatigue, and more, as options that can be toggled, at least on a per-character basis.

Tamorr likes this.
  6. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Having trouble with that riff raff? You know, they were a lot more organised under my command...

All you have to do is say the magic word and surrender the thread to me... :devil: :devil: :devil:

7. Warped Perspectiv

Warped Perspectiv Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, nobody can really come up with an overly good way to fix the hunger system other than making it more annoying by having food expire, with the exception of having it provide a debuff on the player instead of death. But overall it's probably best put back in as an optional feature players can select. Like that was the best solution I saw for it.

8. chubchubrecon

chubchubrecon Void-Bound Voyager

I don't mind hunger being an optional feature but removing it entirely.... Food is not food if it is not needed to live. If you take away hunger entirely than Food = Potions. I don't think that not eating should kill you, but I think that food should affect energy regeneration. So keeping yourself well fed provides better energy regen. Not eating should not be so terrible that it kills you. Also not eating should not drastically slow down your energy regen. Eating however should provide a small increase in the regen, giving a logical reason to eat.

9. Warped Perspectiv

I think if they were to have it use a debuff, a SMALL hit to your movement or energy regen would be acceptable. Or have it scaled based on difficulty.

chubchubrecon likes this.
  10. Optimal

Optimal Void-Bound Voyager

I'm back, haven't played the game in 1,5 years so I wonder, is there alot of new content?

11. KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

awesome because the hunger system was pathetic before, it's nice to know food is getting attention because I just love cooking in games.

...can't stand it IRL though, I manage to burn everything and in my house, the chef also cleans the dishes ):

12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'd say. Fishfingers without custard anyone?

13. Warped Perspectiv

WHISKEY. WHISKEY IN A FLASK.

Jonesy, BloodyFingers and Kawa like this.
  14. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Ow! Wait, I need those... :cry:

And now you know where my nickname came from...

I wasn't even aware the game was out for that long.

let's see... you missed out the valentine and christmas stuff. And you can no longer eat toilet paper. You sort of drill it into your skull with a weird drilling noise.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    Tamorr likes this.
  15. Royal_Starlord

Royal_Starlord Big Damn Hero

Will pasta be a craftable food item in the future?
    Kinda curious. 'w'

Beatrice likes this.
  16. Ferrettomato

Ferrettomato Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I heartily support all these new food options (although having the chart at a readable resolution would be nice, but I don't support the removal of the hunger system. It was one of the main things that made you feel like you were surviving when you first started out. The way to know if you've done it properly is if you can't go afk for as long as you like in a dirt box and survive no matter what. Like if logging off in Rust could save your life. Rather than remove the hunger mechanic because it's annoying, buggy, and unbalanced, improve it. Hunger could actually have a bearing on the player's performance, giving them healing and buffs when it's full and slowness, decreased attack damage, appropriate character animations, etc. when it's low. This would make you feel a lot more like "Oh no, I'm starving!!!", rather than the previous "Ugh, I'm starving again (read this in an annoyed tone)". To counteract this, the player would have to eat a lot less often (because the last thing you want is to collapse from starvation every 10 minutes), and perhaps make food a bit more nutritious as the balancing may require. There could also be hints from the character as its hunger goes down, not as annoying as text messages would be but not as unnoticeable as the bar popping up at the bottom of the screen (the first thing that comes to mind is a slightly transparent speech bubble with an icon reflecting how hungry the player is). One last note, reintroducing hunger would most likely greatly improve the importance and popularity of the farming path, especially on servers where players would be buying food off of you.

What to take away from this is that I and many others feel that removing the hunger mechanic isn't the way to go.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  17. EldrickTobin

EldrickTobin Void-Bound Voyager

I look forward to ssselling automato products to Glitch to make the money to keep my guards in boiling oil cauldrons for my walls for when the pumpkin monster come for my harvest. Not MY fault I had to fight that alien war machine that happened to make them 'cannibalistic' zombies hungering for fresh produce.

So okay maybe I did make the gun that shot holes in the war machine that bled the problem all over their garden/spawning patch. It was that or we were all dead... or pies.

Yep looking forward to trade systems. Doors and wall don't hold up forever :party:

18. Xylott

Xylott Orbital Explorer

Can we make any creamer for that coffee? :zzz:

19. Amyas Leigh

Amyas Leigh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Please tell me they're going to add hunger back. When I bought Starbound I fell in love with its cozyness and the fact that you had to eat/stay warm to survive. Taking that away just turns the game into Terraria without all the bosses and stuff to do :(

20. sindri

sindri Void-Bound Voyager

I idea of removing the hunger bar seems strange. Although I kind of hate it of course when I starve and have not enough food with me xD but it just belongs to the game I think...so not sure how to feel about that^^
    Nevertheless, I'm sure excited for all these recipes!