1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Novakids will craft guns instead of swords.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Garatgh Deloi, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Shadestyle

Shadestyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i may have said this before, but they are allready triple nerfed, low damage, limited use, and Inaccurate dps basis. At least 2 of those need to be removed. All guns technically do less than 1000 damage at t-10 due to energy limitations and innacurate dps. (aside from cluster grenade launchers, those are almost feasable.)

Also, shotguns are broken logistics wise, their inaccuracy is supposed to be a balance for having a significantly HIGHER damage than normal guns, which evens out to a little less when you take into account spread, but these ones are a joke, plain and simple. Borderlands did it right, Shotguns are -like- a melee weapon, but not.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    krylo likes this.
  2. krylo

krylo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Last time I played nightly players had double the energy pool, which did a lot to bring guns in line with melee.

It's been a bit so I'm not sure that's still the case, but I kinda feel like they're where they should be after that.

Or at least revolvers are. And, I mean, why would you ever not use dual wielded revolvers?

But the idea they need any nerfs right now is still. . . no.

3. Fibriel Solaer

Fibriel Solaer Space Kumquat

If Novakids' guns do less damage than swords, they're going to be completely useless. This is a terrible idea and goes back on their "all races play the same" deal.

4. Shadestyle

Shadestyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think they should do the same amount of damage as their melee counterparts, simply because energy is the compensation for it. and then add melee weapons which use energy as well for special effects.

5. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

The fact that they'll be able to craft guns will surely populate the galaxy with more novakids. They are something special, played different from the others. Something the devs stated they didn't want. Though hey! If it works it works.

6. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

The devs has said that they dont want race differences as in special bonuses for a race (being able to jump higher, etc), but they have also made clear that that statement does not include different racial crafting recepies.

They have said that the racial crafting recepies wont be the same for each race (each race will be able to craft special armor that gives bonuses, for example a extra inventory, or glide).

However, every race will be able to get anything eventually (a non novakid can learn the crafting recepies for guns, a human can learn to craft avian armor, etc). But every race will not start with the same crafting options.

Thats what they have said.

7. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

Reads* Nods* Yeah I'm aware of this bub ;J.

8. Fibriel Solaer

Fibriel Solaer Space Kumquat

I've been doing some reconsidering and Novakid's crafting of guns may actually be a very good idea, if only because it will allow them to balance out the currently-totally-fucked-up-due-to-random-generation guns.

Everyone points out that guns are useless, but that's because crafted melee weapons are much better than most dropped melee weapons.

9. Cipherstar

Cipherstar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ugh. I feel like the "all races play the same" is just laziness, whatever the excuse. It's ridiculous for a robot to suffer the same limitations as a human, or a fish to a monkey, or a plasmic entity to a plant. They should all have their own unique function at least to the logical extent of their characteristics. Balance them out. Make them interesting. But making them the same is boring and unimaginative.

But that isn't relevant to the discussion.

Honestly guns should just use ammo. Kind of silly for everything to use the same energy pool. Craft ammo, loot ammo, ect. Specific ammo types even. Apparently Chuckle doesn't like that idea for some reason. Probably due to abuse potential. But abuse potential is already massive for this game as-is. I feel like it hardly matters anymore.

10. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Well, I personally prefer the Peglaci's version where you start out with a gun that can be crafted into a different type as you go up in tiers.

11. Will Liferider

Will Liferider Ketchup Robot

Well in my original post I said that guns should do more damage, but be subject to all the problems inherent to firearms. The person that quoted my post was trying to debunk the idea that guns malfunction, so I was just referring to that portion of my suggestion.

What I meant by nerfing guns is to buff the damage, but nerf the reliability

12. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Then why bother with guns if they might be less reliable in combat? All the damage in the world won't matter if the gun fails to fire and fulfill it's intended purpose.

13. Xronim

Xronim Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can picture trying to survive early game with a 1 damage per shot pistol that you can only shoot 6 times before running out of energy.

14. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Zuvaii is right, here. You really can't balance gameplay (damage) with frustration (lower reliability). This isn't enjoyable, when your big weapon you just found/crafted/traded for suddenly doesn't work, and it's as useless as that piece of coal you picked up awhile back.

Having mechanics that are unreliable is just not as enjoyable, overall, since humans remember negative events more strongly than positive events. For me, the best example is Lightning mages in D1/D2. Fire did 30-50, Ice did 20-40, Lightning did 1-100. You will hit the jackpot once in awhile and that's really great, but you will remember all the times you couldn't kill obsolete trash mobs with your best lightning spell, because you rolled a natural 1. And that happens a lot.

krylo likes this.