1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Novakids will craft guns instead of swords.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Garatgh Deloi, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Because novakid aren't? They are already traveling cowpoke star people. They've been doing this frontier thing longer than they remember.

It's kinda the difference between a person lost in the woods, and a person who calls the woods their home.

2. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

if you guys are complaining about guns being underpowers it worth mentioning that max energy on armors are now doubled in the nightlys

that max was 400 on tier 10 armors and now its 800

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  3. krylo

krylo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I spawned Tier 10 Armor and Revolvers and went guns akimbo against Tier 10 Enemies. The change would have been good if they wouldn't have also mixed in 'tanky' enemies in the nightlies that have about double the HP, but with the tankier types mixed in guns don't actually feel all that much better.

Though I do like the sound effects for revolvers. (Also like that there's enemies with appreciably different HP amounts now, just if you get tanky types guns are still pretty useless, good against normies though)

4. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

isnt there olny 1 kind of revolver tho? that and tecnicly tier 10 isnt balanced yet
    i would try it on tier 1 or 2 cus i think those are the 2 they are working on

5. Madzai

Madzai Phantasmal Quasar

At first, they were dead set about races have only looks and lore difference between them no matter that. Now they making difference in races crafting. CF why can't you be consistent at least in one small thing? And in before "and you are whining again, about every small thing!" posts, i just want to say that race specific weapon could add so much to gameplay, especially if races are so colorful and different as they are in SBis just a huge letdown.

6. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Thats not true.

Tthey have allways said there will be armor bonus differences (having a full suit of apex will give you certain abilities while a full suit of human will give you other abilites). While any race can get said bonus by getting said armors, they cant craft every armor.

In my humble opinion crafting different weapons is simular, everyone can use them but not craft them.

So to me it sounds very consistent.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  7. Madzai

Madzai Phantasmal Quasar

You're right, yet we have to see the said differences, because in current system i have hard time imagine it. One having a bit of armor and other have a bit of more energy? Anyway, we'll see. But armor difference is something, that come later in the game, guns for Novakids are there, right from the start and even if they'll be sucky (and i'm pretty sure they'll be), it means nothing for a lot of ppl, who love guns, because crafted weapon (in comparison with RND one) had to be balanced to be one same lvl as melee for other races.

8. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

From what they have said its more:

Humans: Getting a extra inventory.
    Avians: Getting a glide ability.
    Floran: Getting energy recharge while outside at day.
    Etc...

9. Madzai

Madzai Phantasmal Quasar

So, high tier armour will acts like additional techs, hmm, that's pretty good if they include it this way. Add a bit to so much desired variety.

10. krylo

Okay so I tried on tier 1 and 2 and. . . guns actually feel about right, now.

I used a whole bunch of them, just typing spawngun 1/2 like twenty times each and running wild with them.

They pretty much destroy enemies of their own tier, but so do melee weapons--because you're meant to get each type near the end of the tier, and work on about even footing with enemies of the next. The energy issues are only a problem for enemies that (and I just found this ability) have their shield, or are highly mobile and hard to hit, and I'm pretty much okay with that.

Shotguns still feel a bit weak as their damage is split between all projectiles, so you kinda have to use them at close range, buuut they fire a bit faster than equally hard hitting melee weapons, so I think it evens out more or less. Basically everything seems to perform well within its niche.

11. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

Oh... didn't even remember that. My bad, you were correct :)

Though it does say salvage or reverse engineer. With starships I doubt they're able to reverse engineer them, given just how complex they are. With respect to any Florans on here, uh, they live in huts. I doubt they can seriously work with any of the really advanced tech :rofl:

However in that case, guns are a definite possibility. Though to be honest, it still doesn't seem much their style, you know what I mean? They're a warlike race with existing traditions regarding combat, I'd be surprised if they didn't have any real ranged options until they raided someone else. Though I don't know what options really fit them lore-wise. But the bow, sling, throwing spears, slingshot(people scoff but they're pretty deadly with the right design and ammo) all seem like possible options.
    Our armors are clearly military-styled though.

It's very likely that we're accessing a premade database of knowledge from one of our tools (ship AI? matter manipulator? pixel printer?) in order to be able to craft so many different items, that or we're super-geniuses. Either way, crafting guns to me seems *doable*, which kind of makes it weird that we don't have the option.

And if that desert island has monsters on it, a gun might be useful :rofl:
    The plan is that races differ in tech and knowledge only, but not have any natural abilities endemic to that race. Racial armors already have different abilities (not just stats), I don't see why we couldn't have different weapons as well. Especially ranged weapons, since there's such a variety available. In the end, if you want to use another race's tech, you can, so it's not like any one race will have permanent advantages, which was the point.

But regardless... Respectfully, let's save "consistency" for the politicians, Chucklefish doesn't need it. They've changed their plans on a lot of things already, and in my opinion, no one has a good reason to complain when it's in the best interests of the game.

12. Shadestyle

Shadestyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

you people are thinking about it backwards, Think about it, you are selecting your race, and you think to yourself, "Hmm, i like to use melee weapons, i better use the one race who's backstory and theme revolve around guns, hey, wait a minute, this is EXACTLY like how hylotl can't use meat in their recipes, I better go on the forums and inform them that this is bad that I cannot use swords and hammers as a western themed race right from the get go. it's unbalanced!"

that kind of thinking lead to the crap currently being spewed from the minecraft forums.

Lintton and krylo like this.
  13. Model QT-377665

Model QT-377665 Ketchup Robot

Hmm, that will be interesting, perhaps not good, but interesting.

14. FunAsylum

FunAsylum Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah, Novas are kinda western and stuff, so they should be able to craft guns, it's unsuiting for almost every other race.

15. Starboundcommunity566

Starboundcommunity566 Pangalactic Porcupine

Tier 1 nova gun, you have bow
    Tier 2 nova gun you have iron bow
    Tier 3 nova gun you should have come across npcs with guns by now.

Is how I imagine it. Other races i doubt suddenly can't have guns. If you can't stand not having guns you can look up starmaps for pirate air ship locations or have a novakid crafter put a gun in your planets chest for you to grab.

16. Shadestyle

honestly, i find it insulting to the game's spirit when people insist that novakids should just craft normal weapons instead of guns.

17. Cipherstar

Cipherstar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

... That's not like irl at all. What is this, WW1? I've never had a gun misfire on me and the only time I've had a gun jam was when I used an older weapon and it was myself that f'd up and so long as you aren't using the wrong ammo they'll never "Blow up in your face". A slight jump to the cursor depending on the gun could be interesting though.

Guns are the product of countless generations of improvements to make the most effective weapon we can. A sci-fi reality should have better guns, not weaker ones. But they'd also have done something to make melee relevant again as well, I'm sure.

This is a Sci Fi game. If I want to play with swords I'd play something else. I'm here for space ships, planets, and lasers. It's irritating when firing a gun feels more like firing a stapler.

Melee weapons in Sci Fi are usually incredible but few and far between. I'd like to see the roles reversed here, guns be common and melee weapons being rare but awesome. Things like gravity hammers and lightsabers, electroblades and vibro-axes, ect. But that's never gonna happen. So at least please do not ruin guns. Starbound is my only sci fi fix.

Shatara and FunAsylum like this.
  18. Will Liferider

Will Liferider Ketchup Robot

Conceivably yes. I didn't mean that all guns should misfire, because that would suck. I was referring to the really early weapons. Notice that I said "if the guns are crafted from basic materials". No person, not even a Novakid, would be able to land on a planet, grab some random stuff found near the spawn point, make a gun without the precision tools that we have today, and not end up with a misfire or two. For example, I was thinking that the early guns would be more like the Eoka pistol, used by rebels in Cyprus (Mediterranean) in the 1950's
    Eoka Pistol.jpg
    This gun was capable of killing people, and it did just that. But it was very inaccurate, and the barrel had a tendency to come off of the handle sometimes. Of course, all guns wouldn't be like this, and would quickly improve.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into this, but I was just spit-balling ideas for nerfing guns without making them useless

19. Shadestyle

Yeah, but you do have precision tools. Pixels used in most forms of crafting imply that it is used for fine tuned mechanical portions of a weapon/item. and it is implied that you already have a limited crafting machine, considering that the portable pixel printer is an UPGRADE to your existing crafting.

20. krylo

Why though?

Have you USED guns?

They don't need to be nerfed. At all.

Shadestyle likes this.