1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Novakid- New starbound race

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ZangooseSlash, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Herdo

Herdo Pangalactic Porcupine

Ordona, that is something I had not considered. It is possible that these things would be added regardless, but if these goals are met they will be added before release. However, I feel like that would be noted somewhere if that is the case.

2. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

i realize that no matter how sweet this game is(which is awesome), how will they make dlc work for this game? seeing that if they add a race and have it not push into the main game lore then it'll just be eye candy and a lot of content which we have to pay for? or will it be magic free stuff that comes from an update?

3. Disciple Cain

Disciple Cain Subatomic Cosmonaut

Don't worry about it. It will work and you'll be pleased with the results.

Aural Automaton and Autzome like this.
  4. Autzome

somehow this made me feel at ease. c: thanks for that! i guess i've seen too many games fall out of my reach because of dlc that it just kind of..made me worry

5. Herdo

I took that as more of an assurance the game won't be delayed, rather than "If we don't hit this goal, we will still implement it, but the game will be delayed".

Ordona did get me thinking that they may be planning on implementing these things regardless, but if the goal is reached they can do it before launch.

natelovesyou and WoxandWarf like this.
  6. Blackleaf

Blackleaf Oxygen Tank

We got over $300,000 in just a day. Seriously theres no way its NOT getting put in the game.

7. Desolas

Desolas Subatomic Cosmonaut

We're almost at 300k now. I doubt it would take almost 200k to hire an artist to make one race. It's simply a money ploy.

8. Disciple Cain

You bet. It's a $15 game-- what's to worry about? [​IMG]

And you know what? It's working. Just like it should. Nothing wrong with pouring more money into a game this big.

9. Keadin

Keadin Big Damn Hero

I see where you're coming from, but think of it this way: the devs are making a game. They have a specific vision for that game (features, content, art, etc). To complete it according to that vision they'll need more money. This makes perfect sense, devs also need to eat, pay the rent, support a family, etc. For that reason they decided to open up pre-orders so that people interested in the game can help them finance the endeavour. So far, so good, right?

They probably had a rough estimate in mind on how much money they needed to complete said core vision of the game they had in mind within the "somewhere in 2013" timeframe. Now it turns out the interest in the game is HUGE, they're getting way more than they needed. Instead of sticking to the core vision of the game they've decided to show their thanks for us by investing some of the extra money into more game features, features that were not part of the core vision of the game and that would probably be postponed until way after launch, when more money had been made on the game.

So, rather than shady practices (which imho is a pretty loaded term reserved for games like The WarZ), realise that you're getting more bang for the same buck by the time the game launches, rather than afterwards, thanks to our overwhelming support of the project.

I could of course be wrong, but that's how I see it :cookie:

Dzelda and WoxandWarf like this.
  10. Autzome

it's not that bad, it's just convincing my banker to let me use money for personal reasons.

EDIT: but all will come to late when the time comes!

11. Passarbye

Passarbye Phantasmal Quasar

CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS GAME!! X3

12. Herdo

As I've mentioned, I have no doubt we will hit the $500K mark, that wasn't the point.

"Stretch Goal 1 – The Novakids"

Stretch goal 1. Eventually, we won't hit a goal, or two, or 5.

Desolas said it better than I could. "Dangling content in front of us and saying "Hey, get us x money or it won't be put in" is a crappy business tactic."

LeifGram, Blackleaf and Zangoose like this.
  13. Disciple Cain

I don't know if your banker knows this yet, but Starbound is a pretty damn good reason.

Autzome likes this.
  14. Disciple Cain

Yeah but... you and I already poured in $75 each. As much as we disagree with the methods, nothing kept either of us from shoveling more cash in the pile.

15. Watcher

Watcher Poptop Tamer

I don't care what it takes, i want to play one.
    I mean, look at the release pic! it's a SPACE TRAIN. A F*CKING SPACE TRAIN.
    And he's sliding and he's shooting and space sheriff and his arm looks blown off but regenerating and energy beings and
    *gaaassp*
    it looks way more awesome than any other of the races to me, and I just wish i had more money to pour down the throats of the devs...
    Wouldn't mind Molly coming past and throwing up on my carpet after getting drunk off of all my wine... but alas, I don't have a lot of money.
    And honestly, I wouldn't mind the release being delayed to squeeze these guys in, even if it delayed it by like a year.

ArchmageZandor, Purple and Bietol like this.
  16. Weiland

Weiland Big Damn Hero

Interplay (I'm sorry, "InExile") did that with Wasteland 2 on Kickstarter. They needed $900K to make the title, but they got such a huge influx of funds that they started offering new milestones, with each one reached given new features that the community wanted. Very good, very successful, very exciting way of doing this.

17. Lilly Satou

Lilly Satou Space Spelunker

I know most people are saying that the devs are dangling the content in front of our faces to try and get more money, but I'd like to think it's just something that wouldn't have existed at all if not for the storm of interest. They could've gotten to $750k or a million dollars with no stretch goals, but instead they're adding more content.

Also I just think that the Novakid looks awesome. Energy beings are best beings.

Disciple Cain likes this.
  18. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

The problem is, these forums are still rather obscure on the grand scale of the internet. As time passes, I'm fairly positive that the rate at which they accumulate money will drop. I know we hit 250,000 in less than a day, but it could take two days or longer to hit 500'000, simply because there are less people to preorder. I know more people will discover the game and such over the course of this, but the amount of new people probably won't make up for the falloff in existing members that have already preordered. I know we will eventually hit 500'000, however the initial rush of members preordering is not an accurate representation of how the money made will continue to grow.

19. reversePsychologist

reversePsychologist Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Aaaaand now one of the only two fan-races I would have eagerly played as is (hopefully) going to be in the game.

Chucklefish, stop being this good or your ideas are going to break the universe.

Jonesy likes this.
  20. Excellent!:mwahaha:
    I seriously hope that the next goal will be Parfelians.:proper::catface:

Sundew, Mopy, Endless Rain and 3 others like this.