Nov 19th - Sep 8th???

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by kyren, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Substance

Substance Scruffy Nerf-Herder

These new items will be awesome.
    I cant wait for the first annual beach ball hoops contest.
    Or maybe the epic paper air plane "poke them in the eye" arena.

(I can predict a boomerang coming in? :D)

2. Royal_Starlord

Royal_Starlord Big Damn Hero

Aussie hylotl and florans! :D

3. Mystify

Mystify Void-Bound Voyager

Do you really think those took much time to add? I would estimate the effort/returns on adding those to be very low

4. herobago

herobago Void-Bound Voyager

Well since you have paper airplanes how about this, a guy (Dieter Michael Krone) created a paper airplane shooting gun, it folds paper into planes before shooting them out.

5. garpu

garpu Subatomic Cosmonaut

Is the casual (that is, no-nerdrage ore dropping on death) mode new to this build? Thanks for putting it in. My blood pressure thanks you, too.

6. Feathery Quink

Feathery Quink Title Not Found

Scary, ain't it?

Mero likes this.
  7. JasonPanic

JasonPanic Space Penguin Leader

are you guy running out of stuff to add to the game :/

8. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Thanks for the stuff update.

9. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

You probably shouldn't be too curious. Even the smallest inkling of this dark knowledge will probably drive you irreversibly mad.

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I think the main focus of the post is to show off concepts of new mechanics.

In the current live version, I don't think there's anything that has realistic item physics like the beach ball in the above .gif.

I don't think there's also items that react to air and trajectory anything like that paper airplane either.

Sure, a beach ball and paper airplane kinda look like "wtf? THAT's what you been working on?" things, but to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a decent bit of coding in the back-end that enables other things to have similar physics that we Would care about, such as lobbable grenades that behave in realistic ways.

Mystify likes this.
  11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

It's just a rename, in Casual's case.

12. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Minigames! Stations and towns with silly minigames for prizes.

Plus it's giving the modders more to play with. Could be weapons, could be casual fun for players to engage in while on multiplayer servers. Hell, this makes me wanna make sure there's a volleyball court when I rebuild my compound in the new version of the game.

Every little bit of physics programming, every "make your own simple in-game games or useful programs" tool they give us, the richer and more robust the game will be, and the longer-lived it will be.

13. Warped Perspectiv

Warped Perspectiv Pangalactic Porcupine

It doesn't change the fact that there IS development and a way you can see it. If they're too thick to check it out and just assume solely off of Steam stable updates that the game isn't being development, that's their fault for not doing a simple google search. And fans have themselves to blame for lack of updates. People got annoyed having to make fresh characters when there were frequent updates, so Chucklefish listened to the community and toned down the number of stable updates they were releasing. They implemented the Nightly builds for those who want to have it constantly updated.

M_Sipher touched a bit on the benefits of these items also. Gonna quote it below.

And has been brought up, it opens up a whole bunch more possibilities, one of which has been throwable time bombs.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  14. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Anyone interested in forming the SBBA (Starbound Basketball Association)?

We could even have a server with so we can build several nice stadiums in it, and even go on a galactic tour, sharing coordinates for the upcoming games.

yclatious and Kawa like this.
  15. Warped Perspectiv

We need uniforms.

BloodyFingers likes this.
  16. BloodyFingers

Dyes would also help in that regard
    I'm also thinking plain basketball might not be that much fun. Perhaps a variant using some techs... I'll brainstorm some ideas for rules later.

17. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I have those white shirts with the colored sleeves. Also colored shirts with black sleeves.

Edit:
    jerseyshore.png
    uniformy enough for ya?

18. BloodyFingers

I always had this crazy idea of an entirely player-driven activity that I would totally sponsor out of my pocket pixel in order to make it a viable alternative for the planned progression paths.

Like playing this would net you some cash (I could try and do farming and renting for initial funds, perhaps some partnership later on). Thus allowing you to progress on the game as an actual space athlete.

Warped Perspectiv likes this.
  19. Warped Perspectiv

We can do dodge ball. Make it where the ball does enough damage to kill a player, or at least enough that we can see it register the hit. But death would probably be easier for removing someone from the game.

BloodyFingers likes this.
  20. BloodyFingers

Sure, that's a good idea. But reading that hot potato post above gave me an idea:

What if the ball were a bomb with a timer. It would reset when picked up so teams have to pass the ball among them or else it will blow in their faces (nothing lethal, but startling enough. Or make it lethal if that makes it funnier, I dunno). The rival team have to intercept the passes in order to counter attack. The timer on the ball could also freeze when thrown around, so it doesn't blow before scoring.

Oh, there has to be a visual cue of who have the ball on them. An effect or something, to avoid sneaking it inside your inventory.

I'll make a separate thread so we don't flood this with off-topicness.