1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Not even hamachi works

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Yanazake, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Dr. Toros

Dr. Toros Existential Complex

Yeah, for most people simply forwarding a port correctly solves all their problems. But there are theoretically people out there who aren't simply incompetent, and people with problems are loud.

2. Mentosandcola

Mentosandcola Orbital Explorer

Tbh, I have been having problems like this lately. I'm starting to believe it's just a case of the beta glitches. I can run servers easily, port forwarded, hamachi, tunngle, but starbound is just too stubborn to even allow me to host a server. It's probably something that either works or doesn't, because I ran a server yesterday with ease, but today it just doesn't work.

That's just my two-cents... I dunno how others are.

3. Dr. Toros

Have you patched since yesterday?

Also, are you using a static IP? If not, it could've changed and that would cause problems.

4. Mentosandcola

Mentosandcola Orbital Explorer

Static IP shouldn't make a difference with how I set it up. The way I do it works for many games, including terraria.

Maybe the patch messed with things.

5. Yanazake

Yanazake Space Kumquat

ALRIGHT, people, less discussion, more step-by-step help and talk - NOT everyone knows how to portforward. [and sorry for disappearing, i've been out of internet for three days because some trees snapped the cables on a nearby street]

So, let's assume this: I am outside of the US, know nothing about portforwarding, my internet is likely fast enough for decent online play. These are the base traits.

Let's go deep down. I'm using a tp-link router model TL-MR3420. The router port-forwarding page gives me little info. Runnin IPCONFIG on the cmd window gives me just as much info, basically, it says my ipv4 address is the same as the router's ip address, with 100 instead of 1 at the end, subnet mask with three 255 and a 0 at the end, and "default gateway" is exactly the same as the router's ip address. This, obviously, means i got no useful info out of either.

I COULD just plug out the darn cable from the router and put it directly on my computer, but people would start to ask what happened to the connection [home router, family uses it as well wirelessly. I could use it like that when there's nobody home, but let's try to ignore that possibility, alright?]

I get random ip numbers from www.whatismyip.com , www.whatsmyip.org and www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports - Tried restarting my router a few times and what i get is that both whatismyip sites give me different ips, but NOT random ones, one gives one, and the other gives another, while yougetsignal gives either of the two ips mentioned beforehand. Do note that they BOTH start with 186, and i heard this is a bad thing.

Whenever i try to use these ip numbers on the portforwarding page, i get the error "The IP address is not in the same subnet with LAN IP address".

This is all i can think of right now. What else information you guys need?

edit: oh, right, i am on version offended koala, it seems.

6. Dr. Toros

>Let's go deep down. I'm using a tp-link router model TL-MR3420. The router port-forwarding page gives me little info. Runnin IPCONFIG on the cmd window gives me just as much info, basically, it says my ipv4 address is the same as the router's ip address, with 100 instead of 1 at the end, subnet mask with three 255 and a 0 at the end, and "default gateway" is exactly the same as the router's ip address. This, obviously, means i got no useful info out of either.

Not quite. You want to forward port 21025 to the IP address given by your IPv4 (basically, including the 100 at the end). Your external IP is only used to provide an IP for people trying to connect to your server.

Try that and see if it works.

7. Yanazake

Yanazake Space Kumquat

But the ipv4 address i'm getting is a "default router ip address" with a 100 at the end. I tried, it accepted the forwarding, but by testing my ports at Yougetsignal, it says they are still closed. Also, i DID try giving my friend the said ipaddress with the 100 at the end, and it didn't work in the game anyway.

edit: Alright, i'm gonna forget that site. No matter what i put on it, it says that all my ports are closed. I tested the "common ports" search on all ip numbers i got, but no deal.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  8. Dr. Toros

You still don't quite understand.

You forward the port using your IPv4 address, and give your friend the external IP like from whatismyIP.

Yanazake likes this.
  9. Yanazake

Yanazake Space Kumquat

Well, i'll be damned, this is confusing.

Something did change, tho. I used my ipv4 address obtained from ipconfig to try and forward ports on my router -> then i checked the sites again, and tried both ip addresses i was getting. Unlike before, i got an error from the game, saying that "joining failed" with the 21025 port at the end of the address. This is some actual progress, because i was logging in anyway in my previous tries. Now i'm hitting the same problem my friends are when i try to invite them.

I want to confirm something else, tho. I've heard some time ago, when trying to do the same linking and forwarding for terraria that addresses starting with 186 are bad addresses, as much as ones starting with 255 and 192. I think this is basically because they are default internal values for routers and the like. Any way to circunvent them? Because i'm still getting two addresses anyway, and neither works.

10. Dr. Toros

It really isn't a complicated process. You forward to your IPv4 address. You give your friends your external IP address. You connect to your own hosted server with 127.0.0.1, which is the default "connect to yourself" address.

And that's it.

11. Yanazake

Yanazake Space Kumquat

I don't know what changed, but hamachi started to work now. It's full of lag, tho, and i still can't host normally without it.
    Maybe the update fixed something. I'm gonna try without it later, now that technically...
    my ports are probably forwarded, i'm starting to get a single ip address from various sites, and i was able to host for a bit, even if with hamachi.

This still doesn't make sense, tho. Network stuff is hard. :c

12. GoofusMaximus

GoofusMaximus Orbital Explorer

1.) use tunngle(sorry I just rather dislike hamhandsachi)
    2.) make sure you are port forwarding the correct ports for starbound
    3.) switch your firewall to interactive filtering mode and have someone join. Once they do allow that user to join(may require user to rejoin).
    4.) switch your firewall to active filtering mode with exceptions
    5.) if this doesn't work it might just be a problem I have not encountered yet

13. Dr. Toros

Use this guide.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/211820/discussions/0/630799815291752097/

It's as simple and thorough a guide as I can make.