1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated No More Gateways (Discontinued for Good!) 3/6/2015

Removes gateways from solar systems (and modifies early-game quests a bit)!

1. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

Shadow Wolf TJC submitted a new mod:

No More Gateways - Removes gateways from solar systems (and modifies early-game quests a bit)!

Read more about this mod...

2. Shadow Wolf TJC

3. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

Neat ideas. Hard to get this series of gateway alternative mods to play nice with the list of other mods I'm trying out. I blame the comparability bridger.

4. Shadow Wolf TJC

Unfortunately, I think that more mods ought to leave the task of adding missing arrays to other more utility-oriented mods (such as the learnBlueprintsOnPickup Compatability Bridger mod that I bundled with the No More Gates mod) instead of trying to internalize it all. They're currently running the risk of causing compatability issues with other mods that likewise try to add in new recipes to the same items or objects, which isn't present with the No More Gates mod.

Although it requires the addition of some extra files, it helps in cutting down on compatability issues when multiple mods require it, since multiple mods can build off of what mods they require in common with less risk of compatability issues. (In this case, the learnBlueprintsOnPickup Compatability Bridger mod adds in missing "learnBlueprintsOnPickup" arrays (that start off empty), and then the No More Gateways mod adds in its recipes to that empty array afterwards.) I wish that I didn't have to create this kind of mod, but alas, Chucklefish seems reluctant to implement this sort of thing in the main game.

Still, if you don't like having to use the Compatability Bridger mod, you could make the following changes to moltencore.item.patch:
    Code:
    {
      "op": "add",
      "path": "/learnBlueprintsOnPickup/-",
      "value": "moltencore"
    },
    Change it to:
    Code:
    {
      "op": "add",
      "path": "/learnBlueprintsOnPickup",
      "value": [ "moltencore" ]
    },
    You'll also need to change the No More Gates.modinfo file so that the learnBlueprintsOnPickup Compatability Bridger mod is no longer listed as required.

Note that, if you do this, then pray that another mod doesn't try to likewise add this kind of code to moltencore.item. Otherwise, it'll probably crash due to trying to add an additional "learnBlueprintsOnPickup" array when one already exists.

greenRAM likes this.
  5. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

Thanks a lot, and I agree completely. The main chucklfish team needs to put an intern onto this task.

6. Shadow Wolf TJC

By the way, what mods were you using that conflicted with the Compatability Bridger mod? Maybe I could convince the authors to make the necessary changes, so as to improve compatability.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  7. TheSilentObserver

TheSilentObserver Big Damn Hero

So, I'm now quite conflicted.

On the one hand, I really... REALLY like the idea of this mod. In combination with the garden-planet gate spawns, which makes it feel more like the ruins of an ancient race of Gate-Builders ala Stargate, the universe just feels a little more sensible. If the gates actually led anywhere other than a strange outpost on some random asteroid for whatever reason that'd be even better... but I'll take what I can get!

The down-side is that I've pretty much confirmed my fears that this series of mods (whichever one it is specifically I can't tell) and Frackin' Universe are incompatible. I was a little surprised to find that out, because so far I've installed SEVERAL other mods that altered the way in which the universe generates with almost no problem. Yet whenever I try to start a game with the No Gates/Planetside Gates mods and Frackin' Universe... bam!

So what do I do? Settle for a non-sensical gateway system on devastated chunks of rock, but enjoy the madness of a vastly improved universe?

Or do I get rid of those godawful asteroid-gates, amuse myself building ancient ruins around the gates on planets, and endure a lack of variety when it comes to the rest of the universe?

EDIT: Okay, so apparently... as long as you generate the Universe BEFORE installing Frackin' Universe over the top of this, it works. However, solar systems added by Frackin' Universe WILL have interplanetary gates. I suppose that's actually not a terrible idea, since they tend to be very hostile systems without an abundance of 'lush' worlds for gates to spawn on.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  8. Bazalisk

Bazalisk Subatomic Cosmonaut

i agree totally with you on this, i have spent ages trying to work out why my worlds weren't loading only to narrow it down to this mod. We could always ask the dude making frackin if they would consider making a comparability patch or something.