1. Note: Nightly builds are not officially supported and things that appear broken might actually just be broken with no way of fixing it, but community members may still be willing to assist you with common problems.

Closed Nightly Won't launch - error 10810

Discussion in 'Nightly Builds Support' started by DukeOfRiven, May 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

Super excited about the hopefully-soon 1.0 update. I know the nightly isn't up to date with it all, but I wanted the freshest version I could get, so I reinstalled the nightly and... keep getting a 10810 error (on a Mac, 10.9.5)

THINGS I HAVE ALREADY TRIED DOING

1) Restarting Steam
    2) Launching the application directly instead of through Steam
    3) Deleting the Starbound (Unstable) Folder in SteamApps and reinstalling
    4) Launching the application directly instead of through Steam AND not even having Steam open
    5) Swear
    6) Tried chmod +x [Directory]starbound.app to see if it is a permissions problem.
    7) Verified cache

Any ideas?

(There's also no error log because the game isn't generating one - the storage folder is completely empty.)

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  2. DukeOfRiven

Any help?

3. DukeOfRiven

... anyone? Even just a "lol stfu an google" because I did look at the "look here first" thread and tried those things.

4. floranhungry

floranhungry Void-Bound Voyager

Sorry yo. Swearing is usually the most effective solution at such times :p pray that nightly fixes itself on monday (no patches weekends usually lol) cause a lotta the time, it'll fix itself

i think nightly is not working the best with macs rn

5. Shadarack

Shadarack Void-Bound Voyager

I know a work around...for the Linux version. I use Ubuntu, so I'm not sure how similar that is to the version of Debian Mac uses. Try running the game from command line so you can see what errors are causing the game to fail to run. Google suggests "open -a starbound" from the location the executable is stored.

Command line run is how I found out that libsteam_api.so was not correctly path referenced in the Linux version. Running LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./ ./starbound from command line in the executable directory resolved the issue for me. Sorry I don't know enough about Mac to make a more coherent suggestion.

I found hints on how to get this path reference issue corrected by doing a search for the error message command line run returned. Other Steam gamers had similar issues with other games.

6. DukeOfRiven

Wow. Running "open -a [DIRECTRYPATH/starbound.app]" got it to launch. DO you know what '-a' is doing - trying to search on Google returns ten billion unrelated searches.

7. DukeOfRiven

Welp, scratch that - it didn't work again after a restart.

8. DukeOfRiven

LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed for the application /Users/~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound - Unstable/osx/Starbound.app with error -10810.

9. DukeOfRiven

It's not been working since Wednesday.

10. DukeOfRiven

What currently gets Starbound to open is
    open -a DIRECTORY/Starbound.app -n

No idea why.

11. Shadarack

Shadarack Void-Bound Voyager

If Mac Debian works like every other version, typing open without any arguments will give you a basic manual for the command. -a Opens with the specified application. Try it without the -a argument and/or try searching google with the error search string you turned up previously. And -n works because you probably have a copy of Starbound running or trying to run in your processes. -n indicates that you want to open a new instance. It probably won't hurt to continue to use -n every time you open it, although I would think if you get too many copies trying to run at once, it may cause system slow-downs. A reboot may be a good idea.

Please keep in mind, I do not have Mac, I have Ubuntu. They are both Debian derivatives, so SOME of the things I do may work for you, but probably they will work differently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.