Nightly builds are live!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 16, 2014.

1. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

and so it goes on...

2. Toquio3

Toquio3 Star Wrangler

So, looking at my post history tells you that I think I would win a court case against CF for false advertisement?

Please, point to my posts that show that I believe I would WIN A COURT CASE AGAINST CF FOR FALSE ADVERTISEMENT.

Thank you.

SweFox likes this.
  3. Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

Yes, I get it, you hate the game and hate the developers and hate everything about Starbound. Won't stop me from opposing illogical nonsense.

4. Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I'm gonna try that, not today, but probably soon.

5. Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

I tried it, but it doesn't seem to my liking. It's like playing in Creative Mode in minecraft, sadly, which makes sense for the devs given that they're testing shit on this build. Glad I backed up my player and universe folder!

The "broken ship" look is quite exquisite though.

6. Nimeni

Nimeni Big Damn Hero

It can get even better. What about daily builds?
    (disclaimer: no actual update was made in the making of this game :D )

7. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

Only warning. Posts that are about "hey person, screw your hate of this" or "you're a total jerk blablabla" are automatically deleted. Let's keep discussion on track, ie "about the new nightly updates" and keep personal conversation to PM.

Now, my opinion. I'm totally gonna put Fishy and her universe in my backups folder and jump right into nightly progress! This is gonna be fun! =D

8. Toquio3

Toquio3 Star Wrangler

Ok, hopefully, this will be on topic:

When this nightly thing stops getting updates like the others, will you then open up another opt-in beta program and, if so, what will it be called?

9. SpikeX

SpikeX Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh I been waiting for this for a long time.. thxyu babies and dont mind the haters who download it without rlly knowing whats happening to their game plsss.. <3

10. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

nightly builds are made to show the actual ongoing progress, the updates for that won't stop as it's pushed the moment a dev pushs a change. correct me if i'm wrong. but hey, if you really want to, you can maybe get a personal branch for yourself of the game, what it contains may be up to the devs.

11. Let's keep the name calling out of these threads, please. We can get our points and opinions across without having to be mean, ^.^b

12. SpikeX

SpikeX Subatomic Cosmonaut

aaaw doesnt work for me.. crashes into loading the title screen.. 'program not working'.. hope this helps

13. Yes!

14. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

It's designed to take the Starbound game files and push them to the Steam servers at a set time every day, regardless of whether or not the code breaks the game, hence the name "nightly builds" =P
    In other words, it's the very very latest version of the game that the devs are working on.

Melissia, Leth and Izzabelle like this.
  15. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

ah yeah, that makes more sense!

SeaMichelle likes this.
  16. Yamada Stone

Yamada Stone Void-Bound Voyager

It`s totally much more interesting than playing an actual game, somehow. I actually think that the game should be updating such way in early Progenitor Beta stage. This is wonderful that devs gave us a way to observe developing process with almost daily blogs and nightly branch.

17. SssiltSsstrider

SssiltSsstrider Title Not Found

what gets me is that people were right, people will complain about anything, instead of -I dont know- Ignoring the game while updates are being made? i have firsthand experience on how hard coding a game is, even on a simple mechanism like Greenfoot. people make game design seem easy, when in reality is stressful as all heck, its time consuming, and even with 3 weeks of solid work i barely managed to get a ROUGH game of asteroids to play right without being broken with a team of 3 of my friends. but no, people want the WHOLE game cut and dried presented to them when they knowingly signed up for the development of a game by a small company who allowed the buy-in so they could afford to work on the game.
    if you want justification on the addition of 2 more games on their work-load? they may well be running out of budget because of rent on the building, upkeep for facilities, payment to the dev team, payment to the host of this site, and more

so nuts to the people who complain "Wah, starbound! Gibme update! No, Update not good enough, want more!" they are bloody well trying their hardest

*Edit* also- i like the look of the broken ship

18. Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I had try and the game crash at the loading screen.
    Too bad... well, I will try next night then :p

19. roadrashh

roadrashh Void-Bound Voyager

Yup. Just copy the files in the Starbound save folder (typically located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\player) and put them into a new folder on your desktop (or where ever you'd like to keep the backup saves).

20. Beniwa

Beniwa Master Chief

I streamed a little of the nightly update earlier today, as soon as it went live.
    Was kind of cool to see how the dev version of the game functions. I was already told that
    the nightly version isn't even something for testing, just showing the public how the
    progression is going, but I was kinda sad that monsters weren't added yet. Didn't allow me
    to test passed the quest that requires you to cook something. Was kind of hoping that down
    the quest line, you could repair your ship (this was before i read the post that mentioned that
    the only way to repair it is through admin powers)

Either way, was fun experience and am definitely doing it again once the next build is out.