Nightly builds are live!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

That's why I asked about backing up characters/worlds, so that I can restore them manually if I switch back.

2. Kingpwn

Kingpwn Big Damn Hero

If it's a war then I'll go grab my muthaf***in tank!

3. SssiltSsstrider

SssiltSsstrider Title Not Found

the worst part is, i really want to do this, but i got a planet circumnavigating Citadel on a tier 10 planet moon, and i really want to test the raw beta stuff, but i dont know how to just back THAT save up- the others can burn for all i care

Melissia likes this.
  4. Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

Yeah, I'd like to be able to back specific worlds up as well. Not entirely sure how.

Eyecrown likes this.
  5. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Finally... god thanks... Finally back to testing and seeing something undenyable and solid. Gooooood!

6. Loxy

Loxy Pangalactic Porcupine

Tempted to try this out honestly, As much as i got super hyped up for the game, When I actually did get it.. I never bothered to actually play.. No thanks to Uni and my terribly bad attention span. So unlike some/most here, I have nothing to lose.

:ninja:

7. flegu

flegu Orbital Explorer

Doesn't work.
    [​IMG]
    It said "it's broken" so I guess I can't complain :D

8. SssiltSsstrider

SssiltSsstrider Title Not Found

i spent untold hours on that save, toiling and troubling, travelling countless planets for the Concrete, pressurised steel, and the support blocks required to make the raised platforms, the supports, and the feed-between layers of concrete
    all my other constructs are just live-ins untill i get to impervium, so i can do more Mega-structures, but i want to see how the progression works out and affects my hobby of Rediculous build sizes

Eyecrown likes this.
  9. Yamada Stone

Yamada Stone Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you very much. Game crashes a little bit often, but it`s OK. Damaged hyloti ship is beautiful!

10. Jafetgx

Jafetgx Phantasmal Quasar

What i did to be able to play both unstable and beta, was to copy the whole "starbound" folder from SteamApps-Common while subscribed on to the "unstable" branch, labeled it starbound-unstable and then desubscribed from steam, redownloaded starbound and that's my "clean starbound copy.

I guess it could be done the same way with nightly, but then i'd recommend the nightly be the last unlabeled folder cuz it would update nightly (duh) and then the other two, since they won't get updated anytime soon they can be anywhere else.

11. SweFox

SweFox Guest

Sort the universefolder after date.

12. Taddl

Taddl Title Not Found

If you want to back up your saves, I recommend copying the player folder for you characters/ships and copying the universe folder for your planets.

If you want to have both versions simply copy the whole starbound folder and rename it, before switching to nightly, you then can start the stable version using the starbound.exe in the old folder or add the stable executable to steam.

I tried it myself and it works, but I had to delete all my characters.

13. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Devs: Please respond ASAP.
    I would like to make an alternate launcher - just as a sort of stand in until you can create a new launcher with support for multiple profiles (See the Minecraft Launcher) - but in order to do so, I would need to use a hacky workaround that avoids the need to be logged in to steam. (similar to what people are saying above about copying their starbound folders). Do I have permission to distribute it?

14. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

YES! I can't wait to see everything defying logic and getting 1 shot by level 1 mobs!

Joking aside this is what I was expecting to do in beta. I can finally do it!

15. ToastMacbread

ToastMacbread Aquatic Astronaut

Now you're just taking the piss. This will slow down development as the team will now have to submit partially non-broken work at the end of the day. This causes the coders to stop at a certain point, and to waste time uploading it to the distribution server.

16. Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

No it won't. They already stop when they go home for the day.

Mollygo(ddes)s has it set up as an automated process regardless. It's not something they'll have to put effort in to.

17. wigifer

wigifer Void-Bound Voyager

I find that unlikely - It'll likely be automated as most things like this are.

18. wayninja

wayninja Aquatic Astronaut

I was able to fix this by moving all of the files from my "players" (Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\player) folder to a backup folder. Which means you have to start over, which is not a big deal for me.

Can someone post the admin commands needed to repair/fly the ship?

Mabana2go and Pinocchio like this.
  19. wayninja

wayninja Aquatic Astronaut

Well, this isn't really broken, it's downright missing. May need to uninstall/reinstall.

20. flegu

flegu Orbital Explorer

Yeah re-installing did the trick. I guess updating from unstable messed something up.