Network of Starbound Fanfiction Writers

Discussion in 'Hangout Threads' started by SB Fanfiction Network, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Sounds familiar...

Seriously, though, both ideas sound awesome. I'm personally leaning towards the first, though it might need something special to make it really stand out. With something like that, the key might lie in how society would build itself around the fantastical (magic, useful or dangerous flora / fauna, the interplay between the different races, etc.) and the mundane (widespread General Crisis-esque warfare, colonialism, advancements in art and science, etc.). Settings like Thief and Arcanum tend to do that very well, with at times literal conflict between magic / nature and technology / civilization. In Arcanum a wizard firing a gun will cause it to explode in his hands, while in Thief the two main religious factions embody each side both in terms of philosophy and aesthetic. Besides, I've been focusing a lot on the 18th century as inspiration for my current novel, and I'd love to see a setting reflecting the preceding century.

That said, the other is still absolutely doable. Being set in the 20th century is the main thing that interests me, since in reality slavery was very much a no-no by then. That's not to say slavery isn't doable, but it needs to be handled right. I'd suggest being very careful about how society handled slavery, and think about it from the outset. My novel started out as Thief (Victorian era meets Medieval era in a fantasy world) meets Lucasfilm's Alien Chronicles (conflict between a downtrodden slave race and their decadent masters), but quickly found my own tone where slavery is more of an "out of sight, out of mind" affair and largely replaced by barely-better indentured servitude in developed areas. The brutality seen in Alien Chronicles didn't make sense in a Victorian era setting, and it shows in some of the early chapters. But at the same time, it all depends on what your interpretation of the setting is, so it may well be justified.

Jareix Cryvix and Lavranzo like this.
  2. Lavranzo

Lavranzo Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm always up for it!

After some consideration, I have found myself agreeing with you: I will most definitely set it in a 17th century-esque setting. Somehow I have managed not to think in the colonialism; the rest of your points, I very much agree with, and can add that I have included :) It is true, however, that it might have trouble standing out on its setting alone. Hopefully the plot, the language and the characters will make up for that ;)

Suddenly I feel really bad, having never played neither Thief nor Arcanum :cry:
    But now that you say it, I kinda recognize my thoughts in the Lupusad - Better take precautions so as not to undergo copyright infringement, haha.

Lodish likes this.
  3. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The End of Time

Would it be pretentious and not starboundy enough if I were to write some short stories pertaining to the deeper and darker lore aspects regarding the Sallok, Salzar, Syphrauk, and their progenitors?
    (Also may include stuff that is debatably NSFW... Including but not limited to examples of successful religious and cultural genocide, the development of using and controlling cancer as a driving force for a civilization with the studies being based on live subjects (basically, cancer being the quantum leap of the Salzar rather than fire), the eventual discovery of the soul during attempts at cloning technology (followed by more dubious experiments and ever darker concepts), slave farming (sort of similar to raising animals in modern day feedlots/factories), and other similar subjects)

Lavranzo and Lodish like this.
  4. Jonesy

Out of curiosity, what would make a good name for the Apex homeworld? Considering the 1984 theme, my guess would be 'Apex One' or something along those lines. But does anyone have any interpretations / headcanon about it?

I ask because I've been thinking about doing an epic Starbound fic re-imagining the plot to be a bit more epic and emotionally-involving than it is now. It's slow going since most of my writing focus is on H&L, but I've got a pretty good framework for the first chapter so far.

Lavranzo, The Squid, Alkanthe and 2 others like this.
  5. Jareix Cryvix

Hmm... I think something like that would work. Maybe "Apex 1A" to be more specific for its colonization signature. Other conquered worlds would be listed as "Apex :designation:" with all evidence of previous inhabitants being eradicated. Nobody needs to know that this used to be Avos. They just need another planet to cope with their rapidly climbing populations... And when they get bigger, they get harder to control...
    Reminds me of a short story I wrote a few weeks ago...

By the way Jonesy, what would be considered SFW and NSFW from the list above? I'd like to know before I end up posting a depressingly endless downwards spiral of destruction and despair of a culture's total extinction from the glory blind eyes of another.

Jonesy likes this.
  6. Jonesy

Bit hard to say. Rule enforcement surrounding NSFW content doesn't often cover dark themes. I'd say try keeping it matching Starbound's 'dark but not too dark, plus a few laughs' style. Maybe the Apex occupiers embark on a long series of increasingly bizarre attempts to get conquered Avians to enjoy bananas and accept their new interior design aesthetic.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  7. Jareix Cryvix

Well, if you've ever seen the film Snowpiercer, you can get a good idea of where things will go...

The Squid and Lodish like this.
  8. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Alright, I uploaded a new chapter, if anyone is interested, feel free to read it and tell me what do you think ^.^