1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Need wiring help

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by obsidiangoat, Mar 26, 2017.

1. obsidiangoat

obsidiangoat Void-Bound Voyager

I have switch A and switch B.

I want switch A to open and close the door at all times.

I want switch B to open and close the door only if A is on.

How do I do this? Please help, it's so much harder than I thought ; -; I'd prefer not to rely on a 3rd switch, I know how to do it with 3.

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

I assume you're talking about Starbound. Moved to Starbound Discussions.
    The social subforum is not for Starbound related stuff like this.

Regards
    Iris Blanche

3. obsidiangoat

obsidiangoat Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you, my bad, it's been a while.

4. Exilyth

Exilyth Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The way I read it:

Code:
      A      B       door
    on     on      open
    on     off     open
    off    on      closed
    off    off     closed
    This does not do what you want, e.g. the state of switch B is ignored completely since
    Code:
    "(A and not(B)) or (A and B)"
    simplifies to "A".

You could solve this using a bunch of not gates and latches, but just using another small wall switch is a lot easier.

5. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

I would not even remotely claim this is a good solution, as I'm pretty new at this and even to me it looks clunky but it does what you said.

SwitchesNW.png

SwitchesWW.png

Also note that this design requires the switches (or at least Switch B ) to be the kind that has an input.

So at its core, it's just two switches linked to a door by an AND gate. What all that extra stuff accomplishes, is that when you flip A to ON, B is forced to ON as well, if it wasn't already. The delay allows it to distinguish when you have just switched A on, from A just being on. In the latter case B will work as normal.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017