Modding Help Need some assistance with a quest item

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by ManicRykker, Apr 18, 2017.

1. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

Ok, so I have a little conundrum.

I have an important quest item in a quest line I have set up in my mod. It's a reward from a previous quest, and is pretty much required for completion of the quest after it.

My problem is, is I am afraid of the player potentially trashing the item. I can't really think of any way to give it back to them without compromising the quest line.... (the item itself is a trigger for something, and if they can just get duplicates of it, it will kinda make the quest line feel less genuine.)

Is there anyway to keep an item from being trashable?

2. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

is this trigger in some sort of dungeon? if so, maybe make the item findable in the dungeon, like a secret room that you hav to do so many triggers throughout the dungeon to get to (like the Erchius secret room). that way, if they were to lose it, it could still be used, and if they didn't lose it, they likely won't know there's a copy

3. ManicRykker

There's my problem. The item isn't hooked into any dungeons or anything. (You're actually supposed to place it on a planet)

I mean... I have a warning message in the description right now warning the player that it'll be gone for good if they trash it.. but I'd much prefer it if that weren't the case.

4. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

To my understanding there's really no way to stop a player from trashing items; that can even happen in the vanilla quest items (like the trash bag you're supposed to burn to ashes). All you can do is give ample warnings to the player, and if they accidentally trash it or something of the style, they'd have to spawn it back via commands.

5. ManicRykker

Yeah... I was afraid of that. I actually had suspicions that was the case considering the only thing keeping the core tools from being trashed is the fact they are bound to the tool bar...

Dang. Oh well... Thanks for the assistance anyway. Keeps me from wasting development time trying to work on something that isn't possible. Rofl

6. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I was actually thinking of some thing similar to the trash bag quest G.Xyon mentioned. I remember that you could easily abandon that quest and talk to the person again in order to get the item again. But if the quest item you are using is similar to the old trash bag or Dreadwing's wreckage players will probably realize that the item has no other usage than the quest and find no need to make duplicates. On one more note you could discourage duplication by making the max stack count for the item 1.

G.Xyon likes this.
  7. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

What if you made the item a "currency" such that it doesn't really exist in their item grid? Aka "money" (pixels) and "essence". And no, there would be no indicator automatically added to the inventory screen next to the pixels/essence.

Alternatively you might consider using either universe flags or world properties. Thing universe flags carry across characters(and can't be reset without deleting universe.dat. World properties would limit your quest to the same world(because you can only read from the current world). If any of those would be better... depends on the specifics that only you know.

8. cpeosphoros

cpeosphoros Orbital Explorer

@ManicRykker Can you respawn the previous quest if the player loses the item?