Modding Help Need help replacing armor texture?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Vafiveh, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Vafiveh

Vafiveh Void-Bound Voyager

I've spent almost two hours looking through forums and wikis but couldn't find a guide or how-to for simply replacing textures of armor.

Basically all I wanted to do was find an easy way of making the armor/clothes from my avatar, so I thought it would be easiest to just retexture an armor set. When I open my starbound to maybe find the files to edit, all of the folders are blank..
    Not sure what i'm doing, anyone feel like helping out?

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Have you unpacked your assets?

The | Suit likes this.
  3. Vafiveh

Nope, How does one do that? (I've never tried editing game files for any game, so i'm 200% the newbie here)

4. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

5. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Reading Stickies which say Modding Guides - is generally the best place to start learning.
    Modding is extremely simple if you know the basics.
    You can't expect a how-to guide for changing everything in S.B.

So its better just to learn the basics and apply what you learned.

6. Vafiveh

As I said, i had spent hours reading before posting but understood little. I've found and edited the files in the _unpacked folder, now how do I get that to work ingame?

7. FoggyPaws

FoggyPaws Subatomic Cosmonaut

Repack your assets and replace the packed.pak file you unpacked in the first place
    I recommend renaming the old one to packed.pak.old just in case you wanna go back, so that you don't have to re-download vanilla files, but it's up to you

8. The | Suit

Please do not teach people improper modding mechanics.
    '==
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...g-basics-p1-editing-vanilla-files-v1-3.86970/

Read the link and first make your own basic mod.
    The concept can be used to edit all vanilla files.

9. FoggyPaws

FoggyPaws Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well so long as all they've done is a personal retexture, don't plan on sharing it, and all they've done is change textures, no file names or anything like that, everything ought to be fine.

I mean sure going and making a patch for it is the proper way of doing things yes, but if there's no need then there's no reason to do so.

10. The | Suit

Because, you do not make such assumptions.
    You always teach people the proper method of doing things.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    SleepySquidd likes this.
  11. GROVER CURES HOUSES

GROVER CURES HOUSES Void-Bound Voyager

Not even then. If you're going to do the first several steps and are too lazy to isolate your changes(you will never figure out which files you edited later, costing you all your work), you can just take the unpacked folder, stick it in the mod folder and create a .modinfo with {"name":"a"} in it. If you're going to be lazy as fuck, why bother trying to repack anything? That takes time and steam will eventually nuke it anyway, so you'll have to keep the extracted assets around.

There is literally not a single upside to this terrible piece of advice.

e: regarding patching/not patching: if your mod has a file in the same place as sb, that file will replace the base file. You don't need to do anything special to make that happen. Patching is a special toolset that lets us jury rig some semblance of compatibility into the system.

SleepySquidd and The | Suit like this.
  12. The | Suit

It is good to see you are passionate about the issue.
    But you should avoid attacking people in such a manner. There are calmer ways to disagree with people. Please refrain from such outbursts in the future.

SleepySquidd likes this.
  13. Unclebepis

Unclebepis Void-Bound Voyager

I extracted the files using Starbound's built in extractor, yet i cant find the texture files

14. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wait an extra minute before closing the command prompt window. This is the most common error that results in incomplete assets.