My progress for May 19th

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, May 19, 2014.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I'm not sure I like the thing about the backpedal nerf.

Are mobs going to be slower, or am I going to have to stop and fight everything I see, rather than run away from it while occasionally batting it away from me?

I don't want to have to stop and fight every stinking aggressive mob while exploring a planet -- I'd never get anything done, especially not with the ridiculously short day cycle some smaller planets have and the lack of ability to choose where to beam down to a planet (hint hint: We want teleporter beacons!)

Piccolo likes this.
  2. extremist

extremist Existential Complex

Yay! Sounds like hella work though, great to hear what y'all are doing in detail. :)

3. MaxHeadroom

MaxHeadroom Void-Bound Voyager

I'm curious about the removal of OpenSSL dependencies, sure that project (OpenSSL) is sometihing of a ClusterF**** but does this mean that you are looking into LibreSSL instead?

4. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

Wow, you guys are releasing updates faster than we can read them! Way to contradict criticism! :U

5. Would this be an "all the time" backpedaling speed reduction, or just a "while in active combat" thing?

TrueEdge likes this.
  6. Fireball14

Fireball14 Void-Bound Voyager

I assume alternatives in OpenSSL will ensure more stable server connection?

7. Ponjkl

Ponjkl Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yay! I like this dev-user communication system :D

8. mwpow3ll

mwpow3ll Guest

Hmm... PostGreSQL and OpenSSL use /dev/urandom and /dev/random for unix already, so I'm assuming the point was that you removed a dependency and just call those on your own. Removing dependencies is usually good news, but I'm interested in knowing the performance difference if any...

9. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

You can still run away. You just have to turn around and actually run instead of just moving back while blasting at the thing trying to melt your face

10. Ghazter

Ghazter Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think I'm going to enjoy these "mini-updates", be prepared for the occasional "more tech savvy than thou" type people.

I'm like where all this is going though. : )

MaxHeadroom likes this.
  11. Fireball14

On other hand there some of us that really can learn something from there progress.

12. Ghazter

Ghazter Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I hope I didn't come across as implying otherwise. :eek:

Meant more the kind of people of the vocal minority that shouts "why did you do X&Y when Z&B are clearly better soluitons", you are correct however. :)

MaxHeadroom likes this.
  13. Fireball14

Btw removing third party libraries are always worth it, if a native solution can be used. I learned it the hard way. :whoop:

14. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

Seems a logical approach to combat, thank you for the info.

15. ClockworkMidnight

ClockworkMidnight Big Damn Hero

I LOVE this! The idea of a sort of blog on what is done everyday will stifle the booers saying you guys are just derping around. It's also fun to read such things for me.

16. sceamer

sceamer Master Chief

As a developer myself, it is quite interesting to know what's going on internally in the development of Starbound, keep it up!

17. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Yay back to Prebeta news Style.
    Completely pleased with the new outcome.
    ===
    As for walking backwards movement modifier - I think it is a great idea.

18. sleepy123

sleepy123 Big Damn Hero

I, for one, welcome Omni's hard work. Good job!

19. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

The code isn't hot code by any respects. I'd assume it's faster, but it wouldn't be noticeably faster.

20. lemonrev

lemonrev Subatomic Cosmonaut

my thoughts are does anything have to make sense in a game :p, so long as people know whats going on and can have a good laugh your all good :p