My feedback about Starbound 1.0

Discussion in 'Other' started by Nakano15, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Nakano15

Nakano15 Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm not really sure where to post this, but I believe this is the right place, even more because most of
    what I'll say are things that annoy me in this game.

I've quit this game some weeks ago, in fury because of some issues I've found in the gameplay, but yesterday,
    I decided to come here tell the bad things I found in the game.

I really enjoyed the idea of Starbound, like, really, I'd spend some more time playing it, but right now, I've got kind of
    depleted of joy while playing it.

One of the game issues, is that beside there is a large variety of weapons, most of them doesn't seems to have a really
    good damage compared to other weapons looted, most likelly I feel like the weapons have the same damage, but different
    attack speeds compared to the others, most likelly I find weapons I loot having not worth status, that if I am
    not currently using a crafted weapon.

Another thing that annoys me, is that once a guard notices you doing something bad, the guard seems to actually never forget what the char have done, and there is no other way of resolving that without killing the guards that are chasing you because of the crime.

The game before, used to sell some recipes, maybe merchants could offer recipes of vanity gears on their shop, as a kind of alternative to get those vanity gears, but would need to gather the items needed to make it.

The crew system I really enjoyed, even more because of their classes, but It really sucks when they stop inside poison or lava, or stay inside traps like spike traps, and other contact damage traps, but the major issue, is that once they are defeated, is needed that I go to the spaceship, and call them again, because they will not come back, in missions like the Floran Party for example, is really hard to not have them getting stuck inside a poison trap for example, and having to do the mission alone because they died, there could be like a 1 minute respawn for them, so they teleport back to the player in full health, without needing to go to the spaceship, or, upon a crew member's defeat, another one that's is in the ship, teleports to the player to take the other crew member's place.

Talking about missions, I wonder why does the missions are more expensive in resource on the latest versions of the game, my pc is quite low end, but used to run very well the old Floran Party mission, even when it got an update, now, I have to reset startbound, in order to join the same mission, or else I will get teleported back to the ship after trying to enter the mission, and more, while inside the mission, there is the chance I will get a crash if I wander around it for too long, so I have to go asap to the end of the mission.

The exploration in the game... Well, it's not the best ever, at first, it looked nice to explore worlds, but after travelling a few worlds, it begins to be boring, the worlds most likelly have nothing to offer, and they generally are big as heck, taking several minutes of your time exploring it, on the underground, you only go if you need to upgrade your equipment to the planet's tier, the surface barelly have much to be seen, the monsters are almost the same, with the same kind of loot, dungeons are scarce and most likelly doesn't offer anything really good, compared to before, which they used to have unique loot, the only thing that seems to save exploration are the towns, because of the quests and shops. After some world explorations, the only way of doing exploration without getting really tired of it is by travelling the worlds using a hoverbike, because nothing interesting really happens, or opposition or situation appear while you are exploring, and if does, it's a one time thing (ex: Bandits in the wilds).
    Doing quests is worther than exploring worlds, because you get more rewarded by doing the same kind of quests, than exploring a big nothing.

And about quests, would be nice, if some interesting quests like the one of catching a monster would appear more frequently, that was one of the kinds of quests I kind of liked in this game, now the quest I hated is the one of catching a named bandit, how you guys think it's fair to face an enemy that have an absurd defense, and that can 2~3 hit kill the player? How?!
    I got real, real furious with the game because of that kind of quest, which was the very reason I stopped playing this game,
    the only possible way of completting that kind of quest, was by placing the bandit inside a box of dirt, and then filling it with lava or poison, because the battle is impossible.

Also about quests, who got the idea of that main quest? And even the part that it's cutscenes are unskipable?
    The main quest begun very well... Until I met Esther, she made me get bored with some story I were not interessed into
    (really, I'm not interessed) and then things resumed into scan racial object, then do some mission.
    That should not be all, the main quest is a boring chore, there is space for more in the main quest, Starbound have
    hundred of stuffs that could be used to make a better main quest.
    And why there is not many side quests, you guys could at least add themlittle by little, through mini updates.
    One good example of good side quest was the one of getting a teddy bear to the bear cub, the quest challenge were
    of finding the ingredients to make the teddy bear, I'm not saying that all side quests should be like that, but
    they could have an objective that requires you to make use of things found in the world, to be able to either give to the
    quest giver, or use to make something the quest giver wants.
    Another thing, Starbound have also several creatures that are not randomly made, what if a npc at the outpost asks the
    player to capture one of that monster, and then asks again after some time?

I guess this is all for my feedback on this game, all the bad and annoying things, or at least almost of them, are above.
    I hope my feedbacks are of help.