1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Mummies?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Scottish Pig, May 27, 2012.

?

Mummies: Yay or Nay?

1. Yay, mummies!

77.8%
  2. Nay, no mummies!

3.7%
  3. Maybe.

18.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottish Pig

Scottish Pig Subatomic Cosmonaut

About the new going to be playable race, the Avians, I was thinking that if the Avians would of been a primitive type race before hand, would they maybe have possibly of mummified their dead like Egyptians? In the picture of the Avian temple where Tiy is laying on that altar
    [​IMG]

The Avians do seem similiar to Egyptians too, with the hieroglyphics scattered all over the walls.
    Also, I do know that Mummies we're too in Terraria, but I just thought about it and wanted to know what other people thought of it. The temples will most likely be bigger and deeper, with sacrophagaus's(?) inside of them if there will be mummies.

I won't be here for a few hours after I post this, so post your opinions on this idea.

-Pig

BoxcarRacer and Solumos like this.
  2. Aeynia

Aeynia Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The Avians seem less Egyptian and more Aztec/Mayan to me.

Karamunin, Ghostar, Mikey and 4 others like this.
  3. But Mayan also mummified their Kings, so it still have a point :geek:

4. Solum

Solum Cosmic Narwhal

Meh, there is also mentioned that they began to use technology.

5. Deven

Deven Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I say Mummys!!!! Buttt if you die as a Avian and you were like a high preast/general or a high ranking official you can be mummified and come back to life and like do a quest and get your former self back. :idea:

6. ockpii

ockpii The Reel McCoy

If species have special skills, Mummies could wrap enemies and strangle them. I'd be happy if they were just a background/mob of an Egyptian-like enemy.

~ockpii

7. diskincluded

diskincluded Big Damn Hero

The Avians strike me as way, way more South American than Egyptian, in that they don't look Egyptian to me at all.

8. Herbert Obo

Herbert Obo Void-Bound Voyager

Mummification doesn't have anything to do with technology, it's more religious than anything. Also, even with our current tech level it's hard to preserve something as well as mummification for long periods of time, barring cryogenics because you have to keep them frozen, you can't just leave them in a tomb.

If zombies make it into Starbound there will likely be avian mummies, if not, don't get your hopes up.

Force2Reckon likes this.
  9. Setosan

Setosan Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yes, yes and more ДА ! xD
    Why ?
    :V Because...Space mummies (and zombies) are kewl...

[​IMG]
    CYYYYYYYYBEER-SPAAACE MMMMUUUUUUUMIES !
    *ahem*
    Sorry 'bout that...xD

xboy777 likes this.
  10. xboy777

xboy777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the idea of Avian mummies. Maybe they could somehow have wings since it's believed by them that when they die and go to the afterlife they gain wings. Or maybe they could somehow use their bandages as weapons. Either way it sounds cool.

You know what I just realized? The story says it starts off with you fleeing in a space pod yet they took the time to make Avian temples. If you choose Avians as a playable race, does that mean that you would actually start off on the planet or would you find other planets inhabited by Avians that took residence there and built temples?

11. Herbert Obo

Herbert Obo Void-Bound Voyager

I would say the later, unless they feel like greatly differing their racial starting quests, which wouldn't really be a bad thing.

Force2Reckon and xboy777 like this.
  12. Jayne Cobb

Jayne Cobb Big Damn Hero

Agreed^^
    I think other planets (as in the race had spread before the home world was destroyed), maybe they will have had to go into hiding though, that way its not like, oh my home world was destroyed but there are 20,000,000,000 other planets that are exactly the same.

Except for co op

xboy777 likes this.
  13. Scottish Pig

Mummies would be cool, because just think about it...

Your all alone, just after you crashed on a escape pod from your home world... You explore for hours, finally coming upon what seemed like a Egyptian pyramid. Walking up the huge flights of stairs to the top, a eerie glow emits from the top in the dark night. Upon arrival at the top, you see a altar with many rubies and gems along the sides, and pots with hieroglyphics engraved on them and feathers hanging out like wings. Though, on the ground, something catches your eye as you see a wooden trapdoor. You open it to see a long, dark ladder that leads down into the heart of the pyramid. You pop on your flashlight, making sure you have enough batteries, and begin to descend down the ladder... After going down to the bottom of the ladder, you look around with your flashlight to see many burnt out torches over the walls, and 3 paths in front of you, all winding in different directions. You decide to take the path to your right, and as you walk down the hallway, a loud crash erupts noting that the way you came has now been blocked off, and you are now desperate to escape this pyramid before it would surely collapse. Though, you do not know that from that abrupt sound, evil began to lurk deep within the Pyramid. Continuing down the hallway, you start to hear a scraping sound, echoing off the bland and colorless walls of the pyramid. Then, before you know it, you hear a moan and swiftly look behind yourself, only to see a mummy with its evil red eyes staring down on you, and then...

YOU WE'RE SLAIN

Anyways, to sum it up, you go into a pyramid and get attacked from behind by a mummy when you least expect it. Even though its a 2D game, from recent pictures and the lighting demo video, it seems to be pitch black behind where your flashlight is pointing, being able to have sneak attacks from enemy mobs from behind. This is just an idea though, and I may post it in the suggestion's forum possibly.

-Pig

14. xboy777

Are you a writer because if not you have a talent for describing a scene in detail :up:

15. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

Hmm, maybe mummies as playable races? But you have to unlock it by actually becoming a mummy in a one of these temple/tombs. I wanna be a mummy!

Force2Reckon likes this.
  16. Scottish Pig

Not much of a writer. But thanks anyways. I might start a story in the Fan Fiction section.

xboy777 likes this.
  17. xboy777

That would be cool. I haven't checked out the Fan Fiction section yet. Maybe I'll give it a look :geek:

18. Force2Reckon

Force2Reckon Phantasmal Quasar

I like it!
    I love it!
    I wants summore of it!

19. Cosmin Negoita

Cosmin Negoita Phantasmal Quasar

First of all, wouldn't this thread fit into the Suggestions forum?

But yes, I would like to encounter mummies, but playing as them is kinda weird for me. It doesn't make a lot of sense. Everybody want to play all kinds of races, but they don't really think about technology, space suits and vehicles. Think about a mummy in a space suit driving a mech or a hoverboard/hoverbike...

20. Force2Reckon

Force2Reckon Phantasmal Quasar

Except it's not a suggestion, he wants to know if people think it will be in and what they would think if it were... not suggesting that it be (although he is inadvertently doing this as well.) But yes this could fit in the suggestion thread as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.