MultiPlayer and port forwarding?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Psychman, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Mercnet

Mercnet Pangalactic Porcupine

Apparently not on the internet...

2. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

My good sir it is rude to correct people, unless your doing it for a good reason. lets stay on topic. :)

3. Sadron

Sadron Ketchup Robot

Remove the 90 question marks you have in your title, it's annoying.
    No, he has every right to do so and I applaud him for doing it. Someone has to.

4. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

At least I'm trying to be polite. I already helped this person with my answer and, we already acknowledge rudely that I made a mistake in my grammar, now if your not here to help this fellow please don't hinder others. :rolleyes:
    And speaking of grammar I don't think respect is a common word in anyone's vocabulary in the internet.

5. thisisbleep

thisisbleep Void-Bound Voyager

Connecting through Steam should be easy to join a friends game, if the Steamworks API is used for Starbound.

People who have problems with their router tend to have a cheap/poor quality router (e.g. the free one from the ISP) or have the settings too strict.

6. Sadron

Sadron Ketchup Robot

If you're* not here to help~ And I AM here to help, help you stop butchering my language.

7. Zaniel

Zaniel Space Penguin Leader

I agree, multiplayer on Terraria is pretty nightmarish unless you decide to put the work in. Even then, it's still pretty glitchy. I have faith that Starbound will be a completed game designed for user friendly multiplayer, though.

8. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Rule #1: Don’t be a jerk.

Come on now that was just rude, please do not behave like that. It's completely uncalled for.

9. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Thank you! :love:

10. Psychman

Psychman Void-Bound Voyager

lol, sorry

11. Sadly i do not have router access to the network I am, then i can't do it. Still our clan servers will be hosted in professional datacenter, then no troubles :D

12. http://pastebin.com/jy5R8BWm

WoxandWarf, Thanel, Quantum and 2 others like this.
  13. Hmmm
    "05:54 <+kyren> just, auto port forwarding"
    Does this means the client will find its way for itself without need to manually forward doors when we don't have access to our router?

14. Zaflis

Zaflis Pangalactic Porcupine

Your wording doesn't make sense. Client doesn't connect to itself, but to some server. And client (game) connection to server on your computer never requires port-forwarding in the first place, only if the server is on other computer through Internet.

Auto-portforwarding is just something server does with the router. UPnP is short of Universal Plug and Play. I do not know how it works, but the 2 connecting devices are propably the server computer and its router.
    edit: Yes i really think they are. The router must support UPnP, and then Starbound server can directly tell it to make right kind of port-forwarding rules automatically.

15. thisisbleep

thisisbleep Void-Bound Voyager

Sadly my point about people with the rubbish routers which are free from the ISP still stands. Cheap routers do not support UPnP in my experience.

Buying a good router is a good investment, it can boost the area of Wi-Fi coverage, improve the potential wireless speed and also has better options in the settings.

16. Yup it was about that i meant because like in Terraria when the port wasn't open and we didn't had access to the router, that's it. If that auto-portfowarding is able to bypass or at least make it easier would be awesome!

17. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Also kyren didn't mention it, but current builds (except Windows, which will change) also support and prefer IPv6, so you won't have to worry about NAT issues if you can talk IPv6.

Active Link and Thanel like this.
  18. Mercnet

Mercnet Pangalactic Porcupine

That is hot right there.

19. IPv6 of local connection : fe80::902:cfdb:5b8:2f6d%12

When I do ipconfig in cmd, that means I can talk ipv6 then? :alien:

20. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

That's a link local IPv6 address.

http://www.whatismyipv6.net/