1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Movement Demo (Fan-Made)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Forever, May 12, 2013.

1. Forever

Forever Phantasmal Quasar

2. Nanohurtz

Nanohurtz Space Spelunker

I am impressed! If this is the way Starbound's toons will move, then I'm sold twice over. I really like the BG music. Great work!

3. enthusedpanda

enthusedpanda Pangalactic Porcupine

Is there a way to run?

4. Siloxis

Siloxis Big Damn Hero

I knew it was a misstake to start this "game".
    Now i even want the beta more than bevore to be released ahhhhhh...

I'm completely adicted to play starbound now :D

5. enigmatic fluff

enigmatic fluff Big Damn Hero

I grabbed this and tricked my boyfriend into thinking the game was already released.
    Trolled him into next year, lawlawl.
    Thanks. :D

6. PureWillkuer

PureWillkuer Starship Captain

Nice idea :up::up::up: But is there a way to run??

7. Hugt

Hugt Phantasmal Quasar

3 likes on your post, triple half-life 3

8. Forever

9. 1stxknight

1stxknight Pangalactic Porcupine

10. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

Not a particularly large demo, but actually pretty nice for a first time project. Gotta start somewhere, right? Did you enjoy the experience of creating this?

11. Forever

Indeed I did. It was quite the experience, though frustrating at times, but very rewarding after all the good feedback I got.

Magician Xy likes this.
  12. Dubology

Dubology Big Damn Hero

Nice job! It gives a nice taste of what we are going to be dealing with in game :up:

13. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

Ah, yes, the life of a programmer. Small amounts of satisfaction in between copious amounts of frustration and the unshakeable belief that computers are the stupidest invention on the planet. As a student going for software engineering, I know that feeling well. :D

I must say, you did quite a good job capturing the atmosphere of the game, even for such a small screen. The music fits pretty nice too.

For your next challenge, try to add some inertia to the movement, even just a little. I've found that games feel a lot more fluid when the character doesn't stop moving immediately after the button is no longer being pressed.

Finn Learson likes this.
  14. Forever

I can give you the file if you'd like so you can see that inertia would not be possible. Being my first game, I had no idea how physics engines worked. The way I made the movement system can't even make ceilings, let alone an inertia system. :p

Though that's certainly a good idea and I'd do it if I hadn't screwed the project up from the beginning.

15. icepick37

icepick37 Phantasmal Quasar

Hah! Nice. It's definitely a fun toy.

16. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

Cool.

thanks for lowering my insanity for the game.

17. Star and Moon

Star and Moon Space Kumquat

Cool! This is neat.