1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Mouse positioning bug on various resolutions.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Edge!, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Edge!

Edge! Subatomic Cosmonaut

Bought a copy a couple days ago, tried to start it today and the game seems to be running another resolution, so I can't move my mouse past the right side of the screen (as if I had hit my display border).
    I run on 1024x768.

There are a couple of people with this issue as well, with "too high" and "too low"(my case) resolutions, both on reddit and on this forum, none of their threads have been given a reply by a dev/moderator.
    It also doesn't appear on "Known issues" thread on steam.

I couldn't find where they store any game options, searched from the game folder to Documents to appdata to registry, there wasn't a single config file to edit, except startuppreferences, which has only the window and mute/unmute preferences.

SOMEHOW, by using -szy and -szx parameters, I was able to create a new game and go into the options tab. The game display becomes glitchier than ever. But when I scroll down to the video options, the game just crashes. Yay.

Just reported this on the "contact" link in the game website, by the way. Even though I'm sure many did that already.

Edit: I discovered a workaround to this bug.
    1. On steam, go to properties and select the beta branch.
    2. Use -szy and -szx to set your window width and height(1024,768), respectively. (set these parameters on the General tab)
    3. Create a new game, don't press Esc too fast or you'll spawn outside your room's walls (this was reported on twitter by another person(can't find it) and experienced by me)
    4. Press E, go into the Options(joystick) tab and scroll down to graphics options
    5. Go on zoom and get it to 75% or whatever works for you
    6. Click on change window type, click fullscreen, it'll change to windowed, double click on the window to make it maximize and choose fullscreen again
    7. Don't switch to windowed ever again
    8. repeat steps 4 and 6 every time you launch the game, because it won't save your video options and WILL put you into windowed borderless every time
    By the way, the game doesn't load any resolutions for me to change to. That's probably what is causing crashes on the non-beta game.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    • jpinard

jpinard Space Hobo

I don't understand why there's no option to save your preferences. That's insane.

Is the beta you're playing available to everyone? Are there notes on it? Thanks!

• Edge!

Yes, every owner of the game on steam may access the beta by going into the game properties, clicking in the beta tab and selecting a branch.
        Apparently the game saves all settings on day change, but it still doesn't save the window mode option and reverts back to windowed borderless every time :/

The beta is currently version 1.05, which concernedape pushed but reverted back to 1.04 because of bugs with sound. I didn't find any yet, though.

• BlueLeafeon

BlueLeafeon Cosmic Narwhal

I have suffered incredibly from this problem, but have found a different workaround than you. I'm so glad I'm not the only person who still uses a 4 : 3 resolution--I've been told by other people (mostly outside this forum) that I should just get a new monitor if it can't display widescreen, because "nobody uses 4 : 3 anymore."

I have ended up going to the next resolution up from 1024x768 (1154x864) and have used a combination of my Xbox Controller and window manipulating to get past the dumb cursor issue. Moving the window around will alter where the cursor stops, so you can move it so that the entire left side is sticking off screen, position the mouse so that the in-game cursor is over whatever you're trying to hit, and then press whatever button you need to on the XBox controller. (This sadly does not work without an alternative means to press buttons, because the in-game cursor and the computer's actual cursor will be in COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLACES when you do this, which is dumb.)

Really sucks that the devs refuse to comment on this issue. I really hope they'll add a 4 : 3 compatibility function sooner or later.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
          • fantastrick

fantastrick Space Hobo

I just got stardew valley and i can't enter to beta branch..

• Edge!

You probably don't need to anymore. The zoom feature is already on the stable branch, so you can do the steps mentioned above without going to beta.
              Sadly, as my graphics card is dead, I can't enter the game to see if it still works.

• fantastrick

fantastrick Space Hobo

when i go fullscreen, the game stay on 800 x 600. I can't see see for example full text from letters :/