Modding Discussion More NPC Dialogue During the Day. How difficult would that be to change?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Gwenhwyfar, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Gwenhwyfar

Gwenhwyfar Subatomic Cosmonaut

I find it a bit annoying that there's only a set amount of interactions you can have, per a day, talking to NPCs.

In Harvest Moon, you can talk to the NPC over and over, even though they're just repeating themselves, but at least they'll occasionally say something different depending on the location. It also makes them seem more social.

With NPCs in Stardew Valley, however, their dialogue is usually set to only one dialogue per a day. Once you talk to them, that's it, you can't talk to them anymore and hear more dialogue for that day. I believe that's even the case if the dialogue changes depending on their scheduled location, but correct me if I'm wrong.

It makes sense that people wouldn't repeat themselves over and over throughout the day, but I think it's a little absurd and unrealistic that people would only have one thing to say to you per a day and then refuse to interact with you for the rest of the day. That would make them seem a bit anti-social, wouldn't it?

How hard do you guys think it would be to modify and add more interactions and dialogue per a day with the characters?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Pretty easy actually if you use SMAPI, just check during the 10min update if the NPC still has dialogue, and if not, give them some new stuff.

Gwenhwyfar likes this.
      • Davrial

Davrial Big Damn Hero

Probably would be fairly easy. All the documents containing the dialogue is fairly easily organized: It's sorted by character, then by season, then by day of the week, then by how many hearts they have with you. You would simply need to add new dialogue options for the different heart stages where they dont have anything specified.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

That would only add more dialogue options, not more dialogue per day like @Gwenhwyfar asked.

Gwenhwyfar likes this.
          • Mr.Mudkipss

Mr.Mudkipss Big Damn Hero

Well, in their schedules, you can make them say stuff when they're at a certain place (Doctor's appointment, for example. They say something along the lines of 'Gotta visit the Doctor today!' when they're at home, 'the doctor will see me soon' when at the office, 'Doctor, check blah blah blah' when they're actually IN the doctor, and 'I finished my appointment' when back at home). This stuff is repeated over and over until their schedules dictates them to go somewhere else.

You can also make them say certain dialogue when they're doing an animation in animationDescriptions (Such as when Sam and Sebastian are playing Pool).

• Davrial

Davrial Big Damn Hero

See that's something I was wondering about. If you inserted multiple dialogue options for the exact same parameters, what would happen? Would it just use the first listed? Would it use both one after the other? Would it randomly choose one? I find the last the least likely, but it's possible. Probably wouldnt be too difficult to add/create a random selection code/mod.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

It'd fail to be parsed and crash the game.
                The data is stored as `Dictionary<string,string>` and the Dictionary<TKey,TValue> generic does not allow for duplicate keys.

• Gwenhwyfar

Gwenhwyfar Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thanks for the input, guys! This is, perhaps, something I'll do in the future.

I'm not sure what you mean by the 10 min update, Entoarox. And does that mean every 10 in-game minutes?

Are you saying that I should invoke the in-game time and tell the game to check for new dialogue somehow?

delsei and lannihamm like this.
                  • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Yeah, time in the game increments by 10 minutes at a time, and when this happens is when the game checks for changes in the schedule, so doing the "extra dialogue" handling after this is the best time.