1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Monsters 'popping' when you get too close

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by mbrady_777, Feb 5, 2017.

1. mbrady_777

mbrady_777 Intergalactic Tourist

Hi,

I'm trying to play Starbound with my brother - he bought his version of SB on GOG, I got mine from Steam.

When we try to play together, monsters 'pop' before we can get close to them, and NPCs tend to beam up before we can interact.

Could this be caused by the Steam/GOG mismatch?

Has anyone had this problem, and is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Bumping this one - does anyone have any clue why the above may happen?

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2017
  2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please provide your starbound.log file.

~ Iris ~

3. mbrady_777

4. Iris Blanche

Since you're playing on a server i'll need the starbound_server.log file.
    Also update your client.

~ Iris ~

5. mbrady_777

Ah OK. It's my brother's server - will ask and come back to you soon.

Thanks!

6. Told Lengthways

Told Lengthways Intergalactic Tourist

Hi. The server is on a remote computer running Ubuntu Server 16.04, and I'm connecting from a client running on 16.04 (gog.com version). mbrady_777 is connecting from a Windows Steam copy of the game client.

The monster deaths often happen off-screen, or whilst trying to fight a player- even if the player never tries to hit them. For what it's worth, these deaths seem to cause/coincide with errors thrown from monster.lua e.g. at line 3412 in this log.

Log file: http://pastebin.com/Uq2wH43Q

This doesn't happen in single player. It also doesn't seem to happen if I run the server on the same machine as my client (the Ubuntu 16.04 desktop).

Thanks.

7. Iris Blanche

Try upadting to 1.2.3b (latest stable) and see if the issue persists.

~ Iris ~

8. Told Lengthways

Hi Iris, thanks but currently I'm running the most recent version available to me- for GOG/Linux this still seems to be 1.2.2 (GOG-12).

I re-downloaded the files a couple of days ago in case they were just mislabeled, but they do still seem to be 1.2.2 e.g. in-game menu still shows that

9. mbrady_777

Bumping for any more ideas? Thanks for your help so far Iris.

10. Iris Blanche

I'll take a look onto it tomorrow. I've got too much on my mind atm so i won't be any help now. Sorry.

~ Iris ~

11. Iris Blanche

:nurunaughty: naughty nep does a shameless doublepost

Did you had any mods installed before that altered the behaviour or movement of monsters? Maybe new monsters in general or new monster parts? How high is the load on the server?

~ Iris ~

12. Told Lengthways

It's just the vanilla game, files downloaded fresh from GOG. The server uses about 20% of the CPU runtime and 20-40% of the memory with just me logged on, so not looking crazy excessive. There's not much else happening on the server, the overall load is only a couple of percentage points higher.