Modding Discussion Mod Library

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Bandus, Dec 8, 2013.

1. SuperMandrew

SuperMandrew Cosmic Narwhal

2. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

Won't this just overwrite the file over and over? Like, you have 3 different mods all with different player.configs, won't the first mod overwrite it, then the second mod will overwrite that one, and so on? Wouldn't help an awful lot.

But that's exactly what they're doing. And I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow play with planet generation as well. Either the planet itself or the star system, which would break mods as well. I'm not saying it WILL happen, just saying it's very likely it will happen.

3. epidemnic

epidemnic Void-Bound Voyager

From my understanding, they're doing exactly that.

4. Iamgoofball

Iamgoofball Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You could bypass the need to do player.config modifications via the stone furnace blueprint on pickup method.

5. RockyTV

RockyTV Big Damn Hero

It works like this:

Bootstrap.cfg file has the line to specify which folders will be loaded. Always let the assets first. Then you add folder A and B, both with different player.cfg files. What it does? It loads the default player.cfg, then loads the A player.cfg then the B.cfg. now, if that works, idk, gotta do some testing.

6. RockyTV

RockyTV Big Damn Hero

Yes. That is the perfect way to avoid issues. I always use it in my mods.

7. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

Wouldn't that just switching the issue over from the player.config file to the stone furnace file though? Or can you explain what you mean exactly?

8. RockyTV

RockyTV Big Damn Hero

I just hope that they don't change like the variable names. If they don't, well, the weapon mods gotta readapt to the new system

9. sjheiss

sjheiss Tentacle Wrangler

I wouldn't put the race cinematics under GUI, since they have nothing to do with the interface as far as I am aware, unlike the other two in the category.

10. RockyTV

RockyTV Big Damn Hero

He meant that instead of adding blueprints to the player.cfg file, it adds to a specified item.

But again, requires testing to see if Starbound merges all the changes or if it just loads the last one.

11. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

So yes, it does just switch the problem over to a different file instead of the player.config. What's the point in that? It still doesn't guarantuee mod compatibility if others use the same item pickup for learning blueprints. If what you say about putting the player.config file in your own mod folder, effectively loading several of them at the same time though, the problem would be pretty much fixed. Could you run some tests if you have the time?

12. RockyTV

RockyTV Big Damn Hero

Yes, tomorrow I test it since I should be sleeping now.

13. Iamgoofball

Well, how I do it is use custom items and furnace recipes.

Make a new custom item with the blueprint on pickup code,
    Make a furnace recipe for smelting glass/dirt/somerandomvanillaitem to make the item since that doesn't require player.config modification,
    Bam, the player has the blueprints when they smelt the item.

14. RockyTV

RockyTV Big Damn Hero

Yes but it has the same issue as modifying the player.cfg file.

15. Iamgoofball

How so? All the files are custom and the only possible overlap issue is if they both have the same recipe for an item, since furnace recipes can be in a separate file.

16. RockyTV

RockyTV Big Damn Hero

The issue is that if 2 mods alter the same file, one mod may load and the other may not. That's why I am going to test it.

17. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

Aaaah, alright, I did not know (well, didn't even think about it) that furnace recipes can still be a seperate file. This does actually make it more appealing right now. As you said though, it's still going to conflict if a mod uses the same recipe. Also, I feel like this is still a cheesy fix. I just hope there's going to be an option of adding your crafting recipes without editing any core files straight off the bat soon.

EDIT: We're really hi-jacking this thread and going way off topic. Let's end this discussion for now or continue it somewhere else.

18. Iamgoofball

Really, having to "learn" blueprints is an annoying feature that's holding back modders.

All it does it unclutter the crafting menu, which definately doesn't outweigh the costs of having to jump through hoops with "learning" blueprints during modding.
    EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to derail.

19. Synopis

Synopis Aquatic Astronaut

Would it be possible to change the font color to something else other than dark blue? I can barely read it without having to mouse drag over everything.

20. H1N1theI

H1N1theI Subatomic Cosmonaut

Just wondering, will there be a generals/partial/total conversion mod section perhaps in the future?