Mining help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kozalaq, Jun 23, 2016.

1. kozalaq

kozalaq Tentacle Wrangler

Hi guys it's the newbie again.
    So i am in mid summer and just started to mine.
    Problem is, monsters are actually quite difficult and hit hard esp slimes. I brought algae and seaweed from my fishing sessions, but each only recover 5 hp which is very little.
    Any tips you can share so I can progress better and get better juice quicker?

Thank you.

Gabaw likes this.
    • bozirra

bozirra Aquatic Astronaut

Don't worry about being a newb dude, we all started somewhere, and have all asked many questions on this forum!

As for the mines, hit up the adventurers hut east of the mine and perhaps invest in a new sword if you are having difficulties with the mobs with your current weapon.

On a side note some enemy's have patterns on how they attack, if you can learn and anticipate these you'll have an easier time of it (also with slimes if you get them against a surface, like a wall or a rock etc, you can spam click attack and they rarely get a chance to retaliate)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagicallyClueless and Gabaw like this.
      • mrobake

mrobake Zero Gravity Genie

Bring Salmonberry and Blackberry. You can forage lots of salmonberry during Spring and blacberry during Fall. Keep a lookout on your TV for the announcement.

Field Snack is my second favorite. You can craft them by having all 3 normal tree seeds.

Carry hoe during spelunking, and hit those soft earth inside. Sometimes you will get cave carrot, which you can either eat or save it for later dishes and recipes.

Aurrelia and Gabaw like this.
        • kozalaq

Thanks for the tips guys. Is it worth buying weapon from him?
          I just got a new weapon, a knife when i reached level 10. Havent tried it tho.
          As for food.. i dont have kitchen yet.

Gabaw likes this.
          • bozirra

bozirra Aquatic Astronaut

If you have the spare income I say upgrade your weapons as and when needed, you do get loot drops occasionally but they're not always worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabaw likes this.
            • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I find knives pretty useless. They only target what is directly in front of you, where swords have a 360 arc effect.

Whether to purchase an item or not should depend on how much cash you're bringing in. If you've reached Farming 4, made some preserve jars and are filling them with blueberries (summer), you should be able to build up enough cash to buy a decent weapon without bankrupting yourself. But with field snacks, you should be able to handle going down far enough to get a better weapon in the mines. Up to you.

Gabaw likes this.
              • NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

Keep your eye out for Forage Items like Blackberry and Salmonberry. When you have a chance on Friday and Sunday, check out the Traveling Cart. It is a long shot, but sometimes the Traveling Cart woman has some random food. Also, the Saloon in town has food too, kind of expensive though. I didn't mine much until the Winter, when there is nothing else to do. When you are able to make food in your kitchen, lots more options open up but for now you don't have a kitchen

Next to the mines is the Adventure's Guild where you can buy swords if you have the money. You can also use your scythe or ax, which doesn't do much but is better than nothing.

If you can, try to dodge enemies and keep going down in the mine. There are items as you go further down, I think there is a Sword at Floor 20 and once you reach Floor 20 the Adventurer's Guild will offer a new sword or dagger or club, and the further you go down the more swords become available in the Guild

The more monsters you kill the more Combat Experience you get, and you get +5 HP every time you get a Level Up in Combat, so it might be worth it to try to learn the patterns of the monsters and kill them.

Gabaw likes this.
                • Jaed

Jaed Industrial Terraformer

Bring foraged fruits, also make the food from seeds and sap. I use that pretty exclusively until my house is upgraded and has a kitchen. Then I make eggplant parmesan for buff food and keep a short stack of sashimi around.

Gabaw likes this.
                  • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Do the mines in short trips of no more than five levels to start-- all you're trying to do at first is unlock the elevator system so you can go back at your leisure and comb through the levels. If you don't find a staircase quickly enough, make one, all you need is 100 stone and you can just skip that entire level if it's too crowded/infested for you. Every trip to the mines at first should be in five-level increments so as to unlock that next elevator stop as you go. Then in later visits you'll be able to use that elevator to go straight to where you want to be. Forage-- fruits, field snacks, anything you can get your hands on-- will make it safer.

Gabaw and Jaed like this.
                    • quark12000

quark12000 Space Penguin Leader

And don't neglect those crates and barrels you see in the mine levels. I found some nice weapons smashing them open.

Gabaw likes this.
                      • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

And watch your time in the mines. It's easy to get so caught up without realizing how quickly time is passing. Being down in the mines around 1 AM or later is just inviting falling unconscious and losing money.

Gabaw likes this.
                        • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

If all else fails, when you find a prismatic shard take it to the three pillars in the desert as soon as you're able. You can get the best sword in the game and then the mines are a piece of cake. That's what happened to me...went from having the crappiest sword to the best. Made a huge difference. lol

MrToni300 and Gabaw like this.
                          • Hitgirl911

Hitgirl911 Pangalactic Porcupine

Since LutheinNightwolf mentioned the prismatic shard, I have a tip on getting one! If you have tons of money, on Wednesdays go to the dessert and buy all the omni geodes that you can, break them all open until you get the shard.

Also the roots platter boosts combat so getting that could help (granted your combat is level 3)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jaed likes this.
                            • kozalaq

I dont have that much money. Havent even unlocked desert.
                              I tried to fish for it, but so far no luck for me. Best i ve found in a chest is 5 gold ores.

Jaed likes this.
                              • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

While the Roots Platter is tasty and heals you pretty well, it doesn't actually boost your combat skill. There's some kind of a glitch in the game where foods with combat buffs (Fried Mushroom and Roots Platter) don't actually seem to give you any kind of a buff at all. They still mention it in their description, so that might be fixed (hopefully) when 1.1 is released...

Jaed likes this.
                                • Aurrelia

Aurrelia Aquatic Astronaut

Field snacks got me through the pre-kitchen days. Foraging was my next best help, And i didn't but if you fish I'm sure they'd help too.

Jaed and MrToni300 like this.
                                  • kozalaq

Whats a good food to cook post kitchen? Those with easier to obtain materials.

• mrobake

mrobake Zero Gravity Genie

Sashimi imo. Any fish work.

Jaed likes this.
                                      • Jaed

Jaed Industrial Terraformer

Well Sashimi is a friendship recipe, from Linus at 3 Hearts. It's worth cultivating him though because that's a good recipe and very, very cheap to make if you do any fishing or use crab pots. As an alternative, if you have mushrooms in your cave, you can make Life Elixir. But if you are raising animals, just make a Cheese Press and eat Cheese.

Aurrelia likes this.
                                        • quark12000

quark12000 Space Penguin Leader

Is the 'Miner's Treat' worth making?