Race Meet the Monophytes

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Suika Ibuki, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patchouli

Patchouli Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Or perhaps, their eyes aren't quite so squishy like ours. Maybe punching them in the eye hurt your hand more then their eyeball >.>

Atlus likes this.
  2. Poe Salesman

Poe Salesman Void-Bound Voyager

You actually made a pretty good point, you know. Trilobites actually had hard, mineralized or even crystallized eyes made from calcite.

3. Silverduke1

Silverduke1 Giant Laser Beams

well with a diamond tipped drill we could drill right through their brain...... that sounds painful

4. The Almighty 404

The Almighty 404 Subatomic Cosmonaut

You know what their technology needs ? Tron lines. Lines of light glowing in the otherwise transparent walls, lines of light on their powered armors, lines of light on the beam gloves. They are a race based on light and high-tech-disguised-as-magic, and what better way to make the technlogy seem magical than to make it glow ?

5. Xail Jaderune

Xail Jaderune Void-Bound Voyager

Dear lord. You really put well thought out concepts together Suika. If you do go the route of the weilders of their technology being a cultural cast of tech magi. (Reminds me of the tech mages from babylon 5 who used the word magic to describe their godly technology, and wouldn't share it with anyone. ) I believe that you should use magic runes in their culture.

I do tire of the typical sci fi humanoids... but you have really broken the mold with this one, between these demonoid "magic" weilders and steampunk cats you have my full undying support.

6. Silverduke1

i concur

7. Daj

Daj Big Damn Hero

Have you tried Kerrigan spine-hair?

Probably wouldn't look too great, but worth a shot.
    Heck, I doubt it'd be distinguishable from normal hair when reduced to sprite resolution.

8. Atlus

Atlus Big Damn Hero

How in the world are werewolves getting more attention than a unique race such as this?

Oy vey.:gooby:

I love em.

Their eyes could have a thin hardened lense of tissue akin to a "scale"... But then that'd bring up the question how it heals or mends. With snakes, that lense just sheds off with the rest of their scales.

9. Silverduke1

the werewolves are getting more attention then alot of really good and unique races just because of the big werewolf thing in the culture

10. Atlus

Atlus Big Damn Hero

It's disheartening. I want mystically rooted cyclopeans. There's yet to be an organic race in not founded on any existing Earth creature.

11. Xelot

Xelot Phantasmal Quasar

It's too good, I dont know express my astonishment, you'll have to make do with a million of these :up:

12. Khilandros

Khilandros Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well thought out and an amazing job, it would be great to see this in game. :)

13. If you're talking about Lycans, they don't get as much attention as this race. There are just a few people who post frequently in that thread, and it's also been around longer.

Patchouli likes this.
  14. Moctor

Moctor Title Not Found

I just wanted to give some constructive criticism. Don't get me wrong, I love the race idea as a whole and actually hope they get implemented. The only thing that concerns me is probably the main aspect of this race people will recognise them for: Their eye (their face one, that is)
    On their art it's fine, but on their sprite it seems a little... unnoticable, or something like that, I'm almost definitely explaining it wrong. I'll just show you what I mean:

[​IMG]
    I fiddled around with them to see what I could come up with. Personally I think the first version looks like what the concept art is showing, but hey, I'm no professional, I just wanted to see what others thought of it.

15. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

Aesthetically and personally I prefer Suika's sprite because of the color variation, it makes the eye look more appealing and somewhat closer to the art because they do have that large black pupil that is kind of what makes them fun to look at, but I see your concern and it does look somewhat off since you don't see much of the iris, but you kind of have to make due with what you have when it comes to pixel art.

I am by no means speaking for Suika, I'm just stating my personal opinion.

16. Moctor

Moctor Title Not Found

Yeah, I would've liked to show more too, it's tricky to show subtle details with tiny sprites. (like the "!" symbol in their pupil)

What I thougt at first is the sprites eye compared to the arts eye is pretty damn small, I just felt that the thing that stood out most for me on the art was their huge eye.
    perhaps if I had made the pupil a darker red it would seem a little more faithful to the original...
    What do you think of this?
    [​IMG]

17. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

I don't know, this one looks worse in my opinion. I'm not a pixel artist so I can't offer anything that might help, but as someone who would like to play this race I'd like them to retain some of their personality, which comes from their eye. Most of te races have one or two pixels for their eyes, with the exception of the glitch who have varying types of head mods and Novakid who have a bran or no eye at all, to me they seem to lose a bit of their uniqueness when their eye ends up look a bit more similar to the other races. But all of this is just my opinion please take it with a grain of salt and please dont take it personally.

DrMcDave likes this.
  18. Moctor

Moctor Title Not Found

No worries, I see where you're coming from.

Any feedback is good feedback!
    [​IMG]

19. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

Awww yeah praise the sun! \o/

20. Arkax

Arkax Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm really enjoying what i'm seeing
    this race is the best one i saw in many time
    10/10 would use

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.