Race Meet the Monophytes

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Suika Ibuki, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patchouli

Patchouli Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think I much prefer the version with hair. They look a bit...strange without it. Plus you'd get a bit less variety in looks without it too, unless the horns would be customizable as well.

I'd still prefer them with hair even if that was the case, since you could still make a bald hair option anyways.

2. Silverduke1

Silverduke1 Giant Laser Beams

too bad mods wot be addable right of the bat of ithe games release but i would love if its implemented that would definetly solve the problem

3. Dizzard

Dizzard Scruffy Nerf-Herder

These guys sound very interesting. I prefer them with hair too...although bald should be an option too.

4. Garen

Garen Orbital Explorer

Yes, bald for the looks people will be giving you as you walk by :p

5. Silverduke1

i thinkn people would be giving strange looks to these guys with or without hair

6. Poe Salesman

Poe Salesman Void-Bound Voyager

I went through the entire forum and I gotta say, these guys are the most interesting out of all of the fan-made races. It'd be great if they were included or modded in at some point. I really prefer their look with hair, too.

7. Silverduke1

so the conclusion is people prefer this race with hair?

8. So far I've already made it solid that they'd have hair. My only problem is that it shouldn't be hair, rather something more unique than just hair. I was thinking dead tough shed skin; It would be tough enough to keep itself from dropping off, but flexible enough so that it can flow like hair.

9. Silverduke1

that would also be alittle scary but would it be something similar to how snake skins shed and are really flexible except it does fall off?

10. Garen

Garen Orbital Explorer

Oh, so, kind of like a.. flimsy shell excreting from their scalp? Or more like a hard, but flexible piece of exoskeleton?

11. Poe Salesman

Both hair and the epidermis are largely made up of keratin, so the material is there as long as the 'skin' becomes filamentous. IE, splitting up into smaller strands to allow it that flow, flexibility, and hair-like appearance.

12. Silverduke1

yay science to get away with this

13. Poe Salesman

Yep! It's always fun to use science to come up with solutions and help people out. In a game like this it's not exactly needed, but I think it's more interesting when you can explain some of this stuff.

14. Silverduke1

its better for races to have at least somewhat of a scientific explanation for stuff i think though it may just be my opinion

15. Poe Salesman

I agree completely, but in a game like this I feel it's alright to cut a few corners, so to speak, or allow things that are internally consistent but wouldn't work in reality (FTL, psionic powers, to the best of our knowledge anyway). Explain stuff when it's needed and where you can, and have a little fun outside of reality's strict rules. If you're not worried about going hard sci-fi at any rate. This is a fun discussion to have, but I'd hate to derail the topic with it, so lets not go completely off the tracks here.

16. Zareth

Zareth Orbital Explorer

They look great!

Those glove-type weapons are actually what I had in mind when I was designing my avatar's weapon arm.

17. Silverduke1

true though ftl travel is possible theoretically atleast the giant eye on the creature does worry me as it seems like it could be very vunerable

18. Poe Salesman

There are a lot of theories about FTL and how it would be accomplished, but unfortunately they can't be tested in the foreseeable future. Such is the way of theoretical physics. It would be sensitive, but plenty of animals have evolved huge, bulging, vulnerable eyes before. Their vision probably makes up for it enough that it was selected for.

19. Silverduke1

oh well long as you think hitting them in the eye wont be fatal im fine

20. Poe Salesman

Depends, really. The force and type of damage matter, of course, and how their eyes are set up in the first place. For humans, the eye is actually extremely good at recovering and regenerating from wounds, and we're not exactly the most regenerative species even on this planet. It's pretty feasible for an alien species to be able to regrow their eyes just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.