May 29th - Shields

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, May 29, 2014.

1. FearlessDave

FearlessDave Space Spelunker

Sures hopin for a passive shield, even if its a mad expensive generator itsm

2. Unclever title

Unclever title Cosmic Narwhal

Hmm, this is going to make Avian Temple Guards a little bit more challenging, I could no longer just stand there and block damage forever.

Not that that's a bad thing by any means.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  3. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

N-no one? No one got my reference? Well... alright then.

4. OneOnlyDan

OneOnlyDan Cosmic Narwhal

Progress is always welcomed by me! :>

5. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

I really like the new shield stuff. Now i dont feel like im cheating when i get a powerful shield that doesnt let damage sink past.

@OmnipotentEntity
    'Its just a jump to the left, and then a step to the right.' -shakes finger at- shame on you.

6. Shock

Shock Spaceman Spiff

I prefer these shield mechanics than the mechanics. Thanks for the video Omni, I appreciate it, as do the others. Awesome job, Chucklefishes!

7. Blue

Blue Former Staff

This makes more sense than the energy way... but can we have the break bar up near the health and energy, or down near the temp? It's very annoying to have floating bars above heads in a platformer. They usually feel more at place in a top down rpg.

On another note about shields, I'm hoping they finally get Tooltips so we know which one is better than which. :p

8. Eonwe

Eonwe Macho Man

If you can't make posts with more effort than 1 or 2 words, try to avoid posting.

Kuddlefish likes this.
  9. Honestly, I didn't read every post so I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but what happens if someone keeps like 6 shields on their bar and just switches to the next every time one breaks. Wouldn't that be kinda overpowered?

10. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Well yeah but then you wouldn't be killing the monster any faster either

11. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

I think there are always ways to break the game. Starbound seems pretty open about a lot of things regarding gameplay, so that means there will be combinations and setups that the devs hadn't thought of until they show up in FAQs and youtube videos. If you had a 1h weapon in the R hotkey and had 10 shields on 1-10, then you'd pretty much have the current situation (shields have infinite hp). I'm pretty sure even an underpowered 1h can kill enemies before 10 shields break.

That being said, I'm one of those people who try to find the obscure-but-strangely-powerful combinations of items, techs, and playstyle, and I enjoy that Starbound doesn't try to stop me too much!

To combat this, and maybe implement more suggestions, CF could have the weapon hotkeys allow two hands worth of equipment to be placed, so that placing a single shield in the #1 slot would cause you to be armed with a fist (or nothing) and a shield. This way, you would need ten 1h weapons and ten shields, instead of a single 1h weapon and ten shields.

12. Kuddlefish

Kuddlefish Tentacle Wrangler

Aw, I feel like I got it. Does feeling count? Probably not. Feelz party? :party:

Anywho, I think I like the change to shields...but I felt that actually supporting the gun/shield combo in mechanics would be an imbalance. I definitely support the interaction between shields and armor, but I liked that you had to be more melee-based to really make good use of a shield, or at least switch off between melee and ranged (isn't hard to do).

Overall, though, I like the change and it looks like it could make combat even better.

On the note of combat and how it fits into games like Starbound, I'm very much in favor of a deeper combat system rather than the ones I've experienced in Terraria and Minecraft. That is, pretty awful combat in those two games. Starbound is also its own game, and having complex combat would let it stand out from the pack. More interesting combat also encourages PvP and multiplayer, which would help improve the community behind Starbound. Who knows, with the proper mods like XS Corp's mechs, maybe we could see combat-focused maps and tournaments (setting the bar pretty high I know :rainbowbarf:).

I don't see how improving combat somehow detracts from building either. They aren't mutually exclusive, and in fact players could develop "siege mode" maps specifically designed around building and battle. And for players who would rather not take part in combat, there's a lot of ways to build and customize/decorate, and I'm sure Chucklefish won't just ignore new assets for builders.

13. Minecraftcake11

Minecraftcake11 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I see the development of the new combat system in this video! I'm glad that at least the monsters now have an attack animation than touch damaging and trying to occupy your space. The shield system looks fantastic, but a few sound effect changes would suffice. Also, it would be great to make shields directional to make blocking just as flexible as attacking. I see great progress, and I hope to enjoy these features very soon.

14. RatixFarrence

RatixFarrence Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes I tend to dislike the survival genre where the game throws everything at the player. That said, I'm relieved to be seeing more on the focus of a metroidvania-style sandbox. With the right kind of tools added, maybe one day we will be given the ability to make our own metroidvanias in Starbound, be it through mods or otherwise. some of this kinda reminds me of Zelda II Adventure of Link, which IMHO, has metroidvania elements. Fighting the Iron Knucles (The knights with the shields) in that game reminds me of the similarities of Omni's progress update. I sure hope dungeon enemies and maybe some monsters will have a shield or a form of a shield or another.

15. SpikeX

SpikeX Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oooh just cant wait till the next big update.. one thing tho.. is ice wind supposed to make a 'TONK' sound when it hits metal?? xp

16. Disco2

Disco2 Existential Complex

Interesting combat. :D

17. Gantros

Gantros Pangalactic Porcupine

two things:
    1.) I thought the new shields were going to be more energy shield like, and the unraised shield in the video was a cardboard box energy shield, lol
    2.) I see that the projectile attacks from the bird got reflected, any chance that those reflected attacks can do damage to mobs if angled? I see potential for auto turrets being turned against their owners this way in dungeons.