May 29th - Shields

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, May 29, 2014.

1. Aggravated

Aggravated Aquatic Astronaut

I'm still disappointed that its just Secrets of Grindea's blocking mechanic. Shield health bar and all. (I know, not all mechanics are 100% original.)
    Oh well =/

Not to go full meta discussion, but that seems a little ridiclious. People can't complain they don't like an update, or anything to that effect?

Piccolo likes this.
  2. Sledra

Sledra Slotherator 2.0

Edited my post to be clearer, 'lack of updates'. As Omni mentioned above constructive criticism and suggestions related to development are always welcome. Just complaining for the sake of complaining will get stamped on.

3. Artem

Artem Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Great, but that's a shame that you can't move your shield like weapons (so you can block attacks above).

4. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Yet! :p I hope they do. I really hope that's eventually the case.

5. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Proper sword and shield gladiator fights are now possible.

Now all we need are lions.

6. Piccolo

Piccolo Guest

Well, that doesn't seem like a great solution to the problem. The people that are disgruntled will only feel worse, no? And what about people with legitimate concerns and complaints?
    Side note: do the forum rules reflect this change and any of the other little amendments that have been made lately? It seems like something people new to the forums should know, as they may not see this post or any of the others telling found goers what they can and can't talk about.

vanella and Madzai like this.
  7. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I want to see one of those huge batons/cotton swabs as a weapon.

oh wait, wrong gladiator. still!

8. MakeMeMad

MakeMeMad Void-Bound Voyager

So, when is the new monster stuff gonna get pushed through, anyhow? I'd spend a lot more time messing around with the game if I could have a fight like that instead of just jumping around while everything in the game acts like a rabid grasshopper and chases me across the planet hopping like mad.
    I'm pretty confident that the game will get a heck of a lot more fun once these new monster things actually happen. Looking forward to it!

Also, I'm hoping that all of this shield stuff, monster stuff, new systems and all aren't in one huge update... I have a really slow internet connection. Painfully slow! If it's more than 100 Mb I pretty much have to leave it on overnight.

Piccolo likes this.
  9. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I kinda doubt they will be, but I also doubt that things that change the game this much will be tiny. Regardless, we'll know in plenty of time due to the unstable branch.

10. Sledra

Sledra Slotherator 2.0

Darklight likes this.
  11. IvoryOwl

IvoryOwl Pangalactic Porcupine

Even though I'm not a shield person, I like to see them in in-game, however, the way they work irks me a bit. I suggest a re-naming of its mechanics - how does a shield "break" and then regens it self back to fighting conditions? Are we talking about an enchanted shield, a higher tier one made from a very rare ore, or an organic one? It would make more sense if instead of shield health, we had a stamina bar that would be indicative of how many attacks the character can block in a succession before getting tired. Initially, low level shields should drain a lot of stamina per each block (probably also because the character is not used to them?), making it so that only a few attacks are successfully mitigated (2-3 maybe) before getting tired and having to rely on run-and-fight mechanics - that way it can teach new players to be mindful of this short but very useful defense.

Each successfully blocked attack should count, and reflecting a power-attack, as well as certain projectiles, might be more beneficial in a medium-long battle than just a normal one. However, if fighting with a shield is something the player really desires, then as the tiers go up, more and more benefits start stacking up for this playstyle - more stamina, maybe even a "boost" that increases the chances / timer we have to make a counter-attack, a chance to break the enemy's weapons, etc.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  12. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

aimed reflecting (projectiles) would be nice

13. Alec5h

Alec5h Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Omnis been working out look at his damn arm

14. IvoryOwl

IvoryOwl Pangalactic Porcupine

Quite so. I'm thinking about something along the lines of a plasma shield (a shield that makes a shield... --brain meltdown-- :lolwut:). Imagine that you're about to enter a fight where enemies are armed with bows or guns, you assume a defensive position where you slam the bottom of the shield on the floor and crouch behind it, this instantly activates some power generators it may have and starts reflecting any incoming projectiles, for a short moment, back at the source. The con of it is that you cannot move while in this stance and the plasma shield has a cresent moon shape, meaning that you still have your rear guard unprotected (can be upgraded in later tiers for full protection maybe?).

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  15. Sagarras

Sagarras Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Bar needs to look a little cooler. But still, good work!

Good idea

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014
  16. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Yeah, and at the end the combatants can try to survive the Hidden Temple.

17. TheÜberFrenchToast

TheÜberFrenchToast Scruffy Nerf-Herder

*Poke* :poke: Happy, you say? c:

18. TheSilverKnight

TheSilverKnight Phantasmal Quasar

Confused turtle has arrived. Bethesda has failed us but Chucklefish has delivered. Now I just need a way to shield bash or have techs related to shields that allow you to throw them or deflect projectiles with timed blocks.

___MeRliN___ likes this.
  19. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Hm would it be possible to get the shield "health bar" moved somewhere more visible? To the other bars on the top of the screen maybe? That would be really cool.

Oh look who came out of his hole, its Mewtwo...

20. Halon

Halon Phantasmal Quasar

Well, I am not sure about that, the shield may still block energy regen when in use.
    Don't hold this to me, it's just a guess.