May 29th - Shields

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, May 29, 2014.

1. Dosypoo

Dosypoo Starship Captain

I love how it's looking so far. I might just have to start using them more often once it gets implemented.

On that note, perhaps a way to change the appearance of Weapons/Shields could be in order. Because I tell you there are some pretty, well, pretty weapons in some of those tiers. Though thats a later-on thing of course.

2. Ceridran

Ceridran Big Damn Hero

SHIELDS? SHIELDS.
    SHIELDS, SHIELDS SHIELDS!

SSSSHHHHHIIIIIIEEEELLLLDDDSSSS AAAAANNNDDD GGGGUUUUUUUNNNSSSS

I need this now

Hey, I have to agree to some extent. While still keeping in regular shields, I don't see why we wouldn't have Barrier Bracelets. It sounds like a great addition.

3. Regalsoulslayer

Regalsoulslayer Void-Bound Voyager

When I read "shield" I really though it would be like a Halo thing. Not that there's anything wrong with this shield. I just though something else. Could be interesting.

Jafetgx likes this.
  4. Karoo

Karoo Big Damn Hero

will we be able to tilt shields up to defend air attacks? it looks like it is only left and right as it is now.
    also, it looked like the shield deflected the wave, so will some shields be able to reflect projectiles as a sort of counter?

5. Jaden850

Jaden850 Big Damn Hero

Is it just me or does it seem like Spray type attacks need to have a reduced shield damage.

Jafetgx likes this.
  6. Ninjasushi

Ninjasushi Void-Bound Voyager

Just make sure when this is released we have a "Shield Broken!" dialogue to show when our shield breaks. Otherwise looks pretty legit so far!

Jafetgx likes this.
  7. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

Could perhaps make it stop regenerating the shield bar when it is held up, so it would only regenerate when at rest.

It passed the shield and deflected from the ground though, I think that wave attack always passes through entities.

8. Well, it may seem that way at first, as spray attacks do a lot of damage overall. What balances it out however is that it has very short range, and is very predictable.
    So yes, it will do a lot of damage, but only if you get hit by it, and continue to stand in the spray.

9. Jafetgx

Jafetgx Phantasmal Quasar

^ This would be really nice, maybe as a tech? something that uses energy to absorb damage, in case you want to dual-wield or something :D

Alebrick likes this.
  10. Alebrick

Alebrick Void-Bound Voyager

I think it's an awesome idea, although from the looks of the video the shield health bars look and feel a little bit too intrusive. Maybe there too large? idk.

Jafetgx likes this.
  11. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Looks awesome! Apparently other combat revamp stuff is done too. :DD

The shield used as an example here is a large one, which always have been only able to defend left or right. I suppose the smaller shields can be still used 360°.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  12. RamsiC

RamsiC Pangalactic Porcupine

I hate to be that guy but I'd honestly enjoy it more if we could aim the shield instead of just being able to mass protect ourselves.

13. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

For everyone saying that it looks bad and that it needs work/features/notifications.

You're right. This is a first pass implementation with no assets. I did this completely asynchronously to any UI work. It's barebones impl only.

14. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Dual wielding shields diablo 2 style!

15. Xentor Antarix

Xentor Antarix Ketchup Robot

A thing I asked me ever here is:
    Why do we use in a Sci Fi Related Game, medival Knight shields?

Ok sure at low Tech Levels it is clear...
    But later.... . I mena I have Plasmaweapons, and Laser Weapons, but I have a damn shield from King Arthur?

16. resistentialist

resistentialist Pangalactic Porcupine

It looked like each shield had it's own bar. Will it be possible to swap to a new shield after the first breaks?

Piccolo likes this.
  17. JamesC

JamesC Astral Cartographer

Hm...(not sure if you're already considering this, but) would it be possible to add an animation for when an attack hits a shield instead of the player? In the video, once the shield was near breaking, I had difficulties telling when a barrage of attacks started hitting the character. It would be clarifying to have a little dust flying or spark or something when holding up a shield.

Piccolo likes this.
  18. Martan

Martan Void-Bound Voyager

Release the new update to experimental already :DD :lickitung:

19. Mippy

Mippy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

god damn when will you finally push a patch for aimable melee attacks?

20. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank