May 27th - Glowing Staff Fun

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, May 27, 2014.

1. DaMattGuy

DaMattGuy Space Spelunker

Don't ever play Phantasy Star. Seriously. Get out >:c

Kiajinn likes this.
  2. chubchubrecon

chubchubrecon Void-Bound Voyager

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

-Arthur C. Clarke

nozaj_darkcaster and Zurgh like this.
  3. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Well,if that is not the most overused sentence on this forum.

I still agree 100% with you,though.

Jonesy, Darthkitten and Zurgh like this.
  4. Timeheart

Timeheart Void-Bound Voyager

Go Sailor Afro! I mean... :mwahaha:

5. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

Trust me, it used to be so much worse : P

6. Flameofice

Flameofice Pangalactic Porcupine

Could you give the staff's animation a higher frame rate? I counted approximately 20 frames in that animation total, including ones that are repeated near the end. I shouldn't be able to do that.

7. Zurgh

Zurgh Void-Bound Voyager

Did this require a staff meeting?:facepalm:

Kawa likes this.
  8. Sap-Singer

Sap-Singer Orbital Explorer

I can't wait for stage 3 - Novakids :D

9. extremist

extremist Existential Complex

Animating a staff - a hour of work

rest of the day - complain about how hard life is

10. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

1) That's horrible.
    2) Omni is still just a senior engineer, it will be awhile before he becomes a senior staff engineer. At least until the next update.

katakis likes this.
  11. Volpe Nico

Volpe Nico Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Here's the thing about optimization at this stage; with all of the new content and changes being made to the game (i.e. the ship update), doing a huge push on optimization is redundant, because any time they add some new feature they have to re-tweak for performance anyway. So if they optimize the game now, that work would be undone every time they add something new, thereby pushing development back even further.

Darklight, katakis and Piccolo like this.
  12. Fiben Bolger

Fiben Bolger Pangalactic Porcupine

Anyone with hair like that would never activate the business end of a staff anywhere near their head.

Or maybe they would. Once.

13. Thetis101

Thetis101 Void-Bound Voyager

Oh god yes Technomancy!

14. SteelSoldier

SteelSoldier Existential Complex

I like the way they are incorporating magic in the game in a very technological way

Jonesy and Piccolo like this.
  15. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

Glowing.... staff.... fun...
    *my avatar is my face right now*

16. oceansRising

oceansRising Pangalactic Porcupine

Yay for gifs and awesome graphics! Keep up the good work, hey?

17. STRICKER_HERO

STRICKER_HERO Void-Bound Voyager

Nice but i want a glowing fire sword or glowing armors

18. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I'd certainly prefer that to "I can shoot fire out of my bare hands with the power of my mind!"

SteelSoldier likes this.
  19. Dyskord

Dyskord Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, i would think, without having too much detail knowledge of this stuff at all, that once you have the engine itself (graphics, for example) optimized, you wont need to do this every time you add something new, unless its new graphical effects that dont rely on any of the old functions etc.
    However, doing this would mess up the plans they had for making the game, and doing a bunch of things at once might result in getting nothing done at all.
    Besides, it was noted a bit before the beta started how its going to progress, and that there wont be optimizations at this stage, so for me everything is fine, even though the game runs bad in some scenarios (mainly prisons and underground bases, or other stuff with lots of moving things like background fans or these lightning things in apex tech-dungeons, forgot the name^^).
    Its not like my life depends on starbound getting its optimizations or feature xyz right now, as a matter of fact i play a bunch of other things and occasionally check if SB had any major upgrades. But i have a slight feeling, patience is rare these days ;D

20. SteelSoldier

SteelSoldier Existential Complex

I would love that, could be interesting if it was a weapon that would put some sort of thing in your head, then you can extend your and just fire a mind blast a certain direction with the ability to charge up for greater effect.