May 20th: Making the ships work.

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, May 20, 2014.

1. dkdeath

dkdeath Contact!

Thanks for the update, looking forward to seeing the ship upgrades in-game.

Can't speak for everyone but I am waiting for substantial releases while hibernating/lurking on the forum. The past couple of month the forums have become increasingly negative to have any meaningful discussion in many of the threads, so I was just waiting until both sides run out of arguments. I think the new daily communications are a huge step in the right direction.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  2. GorunNova

GorunNova Pangalactic Porcupine

"It operates in a fashion similar to our dungeon system."

I KNEW it. :rofl: Cool. ^^

3. draco1122

draco1122 Big Damn Hero

I have a question so I am using a mod to make custom ships what will happen to my ship in the next update will the items be lost? Should I move them to the ground? Not a big deal as I understand its beta but was wondering.

ThatMadCat likes this.
  4. TerraPixel

TerraPixel Void-Bound Voyager

awesome! imagine glich ships :heylisten: all geary and coggy with maybe a few pistons lying about!

5. EBannion

EBannion Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yesss! Floran wantsss to make her ssship have even more ssspace for gardensss.

Ssshe promisssesss ssshe will try not to fill it with sssewage thisss time!

Try...

ThatMadCat and TerraPixel like this.
  6. oceansRising

oceansRising Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh wow, that's amazing. I really dig it, keep up the good work!

7. TerraPixel

I hope that This new technology will be added asap to the game :viking:

8. Hazmat

Hazmat Weight of the Sky

Like this? (Starting at 5:15)

9. TerraPixel

You kinda spoiled that anime for me :V

On the other hand they are adding a companion / robot to accompany you on your... starboundness that was a bad joke

10. Psycho Hyena

Psycho Hyena Phantasmal Quasar

I think there's confusion on what is meant by "operates in a fashion similar to our dungeon system", what exactly did you mean by that Armagon?

11. Hazmat

Hazmat Weight of the Sky

The dungeon system operates with a similar basic design. There are prebuilt rooms, which are randomly added onto other rooms through checking whether doors line up and such using the ... redprint, let's call it that, that was posted showing the room structure of the ship.

12. theqmann

theqmann Master Chief

For the lining up issue mentioned, couldn't both images just be added as layers in photoshop (or equivalent), and make the art the back layer, and the block map the front layer and partially transparent?

13. Osoreshi

Osoreshi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A Flower Pot... A wild Link may appear soon
    [​IMG]
    Such a nice ship you have there...

SupertankerZambda likes this.
  14. Sadorath

Sadorath Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In theory, the method used could even allow procedural generated content, or allow placement of ship components, if the developers decided to go that route.

15. Hessmix

Hessmix Orbital Explorer

Awesome news!

16. Gekker

Gekker Void-Bound Voyager

Its probably a low priority. Especially for now but I have been thinking.

The ships feel kind dull overall. There are the rooms you can customize and around that are only thin details like thrusters, engines, guns and walls. It just doesn't feel very alive or satisfying to me.
    I was thinking about how some more animations with moving parts would make it look. For example if the thrusters had thrust vectoring where the thruster head would aim the flame when the ship turns. Or the gun would randomly rotate around while the ship is idle like its seeking for targets or maybe it could even retract into the safety of the ship hull when you are about to enter hyperdrive.

Just some more love to detail :)

17. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

These bi-daily updates are awesome. I love this.

Hawk Novablast likes this.
  18. Ipix

Ipix Void-Bound Voyager

I really like the neatness of leveraging the dungeon modules to define and manage ship segments.
    I'm hoping this evolves over time into a more dynamic system where different modules can be added from a module library.

One of my only gripes with the current ships is that there is no way to build a full-length window into space in the backdrop.
    I've always wanted to build an orbital concert hall like the one in The Fifth Element.

19. jayer31889

jayer31889 Void-Bound Voyager

so when do we get to start repairing and upgrading ships?????????? :p

20. MunkeyNorris123

MunkeyNorris123 Yeah, You!

sorry but i couldnt see it so i will give a good describtion. i think that they should match what your glich looks like but hallow and about 20 times bigger.with cannons on its hands, jets on its back(that look like jetpacks), and the cockpit is its head.