March 2nd - Developing the economy.

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Mar 2, 2015.

1. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Just to pint out a simple fact: after obtaining seeds for a crop there should be no further reason to spend any more money on additional seeds because you can(and should be able to) reap the fruits without losing the plant and getting more seeds from it at the same time. I also hope this goes hand-in-hand well with the explorer path meaning that the player should be able to brave the risks of going to find and get any seed and plant directly from where it grows if he/she so chooses. We should not be forced to spend pixels on seeds for any crop, buying seeds should only be an added option.

2. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

WHOOOO NO MORE GATE WALKING TEDIUM
    //:cry: of joy

... To those of you who are discussing the whole "buying seeds" mechanic...
    Yes, I agree that this is definitely unbalanced as it is.
    Perhaps they could make it so that you can only get seeds from wild plants by crafting one of the fruits?

TheGlitchKing likes this.
  3. TheGlitchKing

TheGlitchKing Subatomic Cosmonaut

All this looks great, and I'm really excited for it!
    There will be farming progression and farming quests riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?
    Also, maybe you could have fluctuating prices in a future update, so if you, say, sell them a ton of wheat, the wheat price goes down, as well as random fluctuations every now and again. This could also go with having a limit to how much of an item a merchant can sell before running out. Maybe in the future there could be other farming companies(far future, but it would be really cool).

4. Dromna

Dromna Aquatic Astronaut

Perhaps have the outpost teleported have it's own skin? And then a quest to reverse engineer one that you can build for your own usage with the original skin?

Krytikal likes this.
  5. teilnehmer

teilnehmer Existential Complex

I would love to have something like this server wide. If everyone's selling wheat like crazy, prices would go down, but when nobody does farming, it gets really valuable to do it.

6. Burnalot

Burnalot Void-Bound Voyager

one time long ago, I tried building an ecconomy system for a minecraft server...
    I only ended up with a bad case of headache and a barter system... :cry:

TheGlitchKing and LastDay like this.
  7. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

I like the crafting room and teleporter rooms. I was just thinking that if you're lazy and need a home, there should be some apartments in the Outpost. That way, nobody would ever be homeless.

Type1Ninja likes this.
  8. przemo1994_13

przemo1994_13 Void-Bound Voyager

I see that Starbound will change a lot before it comes out in normal version. I mean in good way ;D Starbound developers are the only one who cares about community opinion ;-)

9. DaedricShadow

DaedricShadow Pangalactic Porcupine

All good and useful features to come, I'm proud of you guys. I am very excited to see these being released on unstable so that I can finally sell all of my loot and even bookmark headquarters as you mentioned in previous updates. I'm glad that you're actually taking the time to come up with a formula for selling values instead of just picking random numbers as many games have done and then working from there. As soon as some of these amazing new things come out, I will completely forget about revision for maths tests and sleeping and will return to my midnight gaming schedule!
    ... says the guy looking for Starbound updates and mods in the middle of the night with both three exams and a birthday on the next day...

teilnehmer and Mackinz like this.
  10. sugarkitty

sugarkitty Space Hobo

I think that racial pets need to be added. It gives a further insight on races and their customs

11. overdragon3333

overdragon3333 Void-Bound Voyager

This is a questions for the producers

when/if will we have

1. have children in the games (in villages and other places)

2. Create your own colony

3 HYTHOL VILLAGES
    HYTHOL DUNGEONS
    NOVAKID ITEMS
    NOVAKID VILLAGERS
    NOVA KID DUNGEONS

and when will nova kids be able to glow in the dark

4 better teleporting (I saw the teleporter you guys were working on "nice work")

5 try making city planets (like in star wars)

6. could we have pet birds (I've noticed In the game I can't capture flying creatures)

TheGlitchKing likes this.
  12. Lyze

Lyze Subatomic Cosmonaut

Being able to sell things to vendor, yes, very good. I look forward to that.

Having a teleport inside to be able to directly teleport to the outpost? YES, thank you, that's a huge convenience.

13. facade11663

facade11663 Void-Bound Voyager

is it weird that the thing I am overjoyed to see in this screen shot is the 2x4 outpost shutter

14. desarial

desarial Void-Bound Voyager

That's disgusting. seriously, "Tiy's Creation"? Do you enjoy kissing that much tail? Could have said "the starbound universe" of even "the universe" since, you know, THAT'S WHAT IT IS. but no, we all have to hear the distant sound of you slurping away.

15. Elite Space Hobo

Elite Space Hobo Void-Bound Voyager

With this being the case, I think you should remove the outpost from every system and turn it into a non-removable bookmark.

I think that makes somewhat more sense than some unknown, ancient civilization building untold quadrillions of gates on the outskirts of every habitable system.

It's a minor thing, really, but it seems more logical that way and you have good reason to have something like that in your bookmarks... or maybe you even find the bookmark as part of the quests. That could be fun too, since you'd need to repair to travel there.

16. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Yes! This! It did seem a little silly that there would be an outpost in every system, even with the perfectly logical lore backdrop of "these people were everywhere..."

... It's a joke, mate. Cool down. You can laugh. :p

YOU, be silent. I answered you in the previous blog post. I'll report the next time you spam those questions. :wut:

17. SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

Please calm down. You can express your distaste for someone's comment in a much nicer/kinder way.

Burnalot and Type1Ninja like this.
  18. Spoon Boy

Spoon Boy Phantasmal Quasar

It seems that racial pets HAVE been added. I loaded a character of each race (two in some cases), and per race there was a unique pet on the ship. Instantly respawns if killed. Also, I'll note my Novakid no longer has a ship full of cats (they're just GONE, as are his other beasts I think, unless I picked them up at some point) and instead has the Novakid pet... Likewise, returning to the hidden spot the cat can be found on in the moon base yields nothing but a chest with a capture pod, but no cat present, so unless you're human... don't expect to get a cat at the moment.

19. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

I wonder how this economy will play out so that all levels of jobs in the economy is worth doing.
    Like, say the relationship between the miner and the blacksmith. The miner collect and sells raw ore to the blacksmith, and then the blacksmith smelt those raw ores and craft items. The miner should get appropriate reward for the effort of finding and mining those ores. And the blacksmith should also get appropriate reward for crafting those items. It has to be fair trade.

However, I think it might be a problem in Starbound to ensure fair trade, due to how easy the crafting process is. You don't actually need to have special skills to make item, nor invest massively in R&D then manufacture machines that are required to be used in creating valuable items.

Which mean in NPC economy there would be no point in selling raw ores, because crafting items is so easy and everyone can do it, and crafted item is likely to be more valuable. But in multiplayers economy, the raw ores would be worth much more because everyone can craft what they want easily, while getting the ingredient takes much more effort. It is only in the case of rare items which require blue prints that the crafter may make a profit.

Man, this is going to be a lot of headaches. Lots of jobs may be created or destroyed depending on how you guys do this. Good luck.

20. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

1. Although it might be tempting to assume that the whole is always greater than the sum of all of its parts, and therefore give things that are made from multiple things more value than the total value of its components, sometimes, in fact, the whole is actually less valuable than the individual components, especially if it serves an overly-specific and/or generally useless role. For example, say I crafted a spoon out of Impervium, who would honestly want to buy it at a greater price than the total market value of all of the Impervium Compounds that were used to create it? I do understand giving Refined Aegisalt, Rubium, and Violium a higher value than the ores that were used to create them, and the same could also be said for most food items, but they should probably reflect the amount of supply and demand for them in general.

Thus, when assigning prices, you may want to take into account just how useful, and how rare, they are to acquire, and not "necessarily" (sometimes, they should be, like, for example, turning ore into bars or such) make them equal or greater in price to the value of their individual components.

2. I've heard requests about some sort of server-wide market economy system, where selling prices could fluctuate due to random events, as well as due to what players are selling. Although I'm also supportive of such a system, and although I wouldn't hold my breath for its addition, I'd also like an auction house of sorts (like in World of Warcraft), where players could sell some of their acquired equipment (like that lovely Bonehammer or that sweet Rocket Launcher that you don't seem to want anymore) to other players through a server-wide system. (Of course, it might require the incorporation of some sort of check to keep newer players from being able to use higher-tiered equipment without meeting some sort of requirement, like a leveling system for players, the requirement that players receive training in their use, which could cost them, and/or the completion of certain quests or missions.)

3. I wonder if we'll be able to somehow add more types of crafting stations to the Outpost as we progress in the game, like, say, Magnetic Crucibles or Replicators? I'd imagine that they could be placed down through scripts, but since the Outpost is like a hub world, maybe it shouldn't always be accessible to newer players, even when another player unlocks them...

4. With the ability to sell stuff to merchants, I'm starting to think that Refineries will become redundant. I'm sure that there are situations within the Starbound universe where even basic ores like Copper and Iron are more valuable than if they had been refined into Pixels, such as, say, building materials. (Why not? After all, iron is supposedly the 6th most abundant element in the universe, and the 4th most abundant element on Earth.)