Make Planets more...planety...

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Soupp, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Soupp

Soupp Space Spelunker

So my idea is pretty much this,
    planets as they are right now are just fly to said planet and beam down. your there. thats it. you explore a tiny looping area until you get bored and move on, BUT what if when you selected a planet on the galaxy map screen you get a pop up screen that shows you regions of the planet you can beam to. This could include citys, interesting anomalys, dungeons or just MORE of that planet to explore rather than just one tiny looping map with a prison and an avian temple now you have the entire planet to explore and do things with as well as having each big building related thing in its own separate map on that planet me know what you guys think!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. Joseph the wanderer

Joseph the wanderer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

that is a cool idea, but for 1 simple issue. The game is a side scroller. You kind of HAVE to make so you circle the planet, otherwise what would happen when you keep walking to the right in a section?

3. Soupp

Soupp Space Spelunker

it would still loop, the areas im talking about would be separate "maps" from one and other so think of a world map with location markers leading to different maps. You would beam to your ship and select the world map to go to a different world location.

Korano25 likes this.
  4. [curly] servo

[curly] servo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i like this idea mainly because it would let me find a planet with the settings i want for a colony without having to abandon it as often because it's already got a bunch of randomly generated villiages overlapping each other.

5. InsanityPie

InsanityPie Phantasmal Quasar

While I like this idea, I don't like the idea of seperate 'maps' since I like how you got a looping surface with everything present at once.

Then again seperate maps would work if 'sister dimensions' becomes a thing... doubt it though.

6. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

So isn't this suggestion, just asking that a single planet works like mulitple planets?

I mean from the sounds of it you'd have to beam back up to your ship and then back down if you wanted to access the different maps, or to make things more simple, just use a teleporter. A teleporter would also allow you to teleport between planets anyway. Overall I don't see much point in this kind of a sugestion. The universe is large enough anyway with a large enough variety of planets, why do we need a planet to now become two or more planets?

7. Korano25

Korano25 Space Hobo

It could have checkpoint places across the planet where it had civilization or other constructions; one which you could teleport from your ship without the need to place a real teleporter there.

If you're in a 6000 it would be at least boring to go around putting teleporters across the planet.

And I guess the idea is not only to places you went, but also to places that are big enough to be seen (or located somehow [perhaps some sensor that you could buy?] ) from the ship.

8. LulItsIan

LulItsIan Pangalactic Porcupine

This idea is strange to me, but at the same time it'd be cool if it applied to a sort of "mega planet" occasionally found in a solar system. I don't think its necessary for normal planets, but if there were super huge ones that could sustain multiple environments, it'd be pretty cool.

9. CondescendedWow

CondescendedWow Supernova

I was thinking there could at least be continents as you scroll through the map so a boat or something would be necessary for exploring the whole planet, seeming as how I think you couldn't have so much life on each and every planet if there's only a couple of puddles of water on the entire planet.

10. Lemony Shtickit

Lemony Shtickit Big Damn Hero

Sounds cool in theory, but the game is randomly generated. I think it could work if you could make it like that on a planet you've been to, like your HQ planet. Imagine on a server you got a pop up screen and such on the home planet with stuff like 'Mall' and 'Social Center'.

11. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I could see this idea if you make planets MUCH larger on average(which I support doing anyhow). Essentially you could beam to different parts of it, or you could beam down one part, and walk to another part. Probably let you beam down to places of interests - like large ruins, bases, villages.

The idea being that you would scan for such things. Perhaps that should come as a ship upgrade. First and upgrade allowing multiple beam down points, and a further upgrade that scans for interesting things to beam directly to.

Yeah we need to have ocean biomes within most planet types. For that matter even a forest planet would probably have some desert etc. Planets are too small, too uniform, and too quickly traveled. Having realistic continental shelves rather than "floating" islands would be nice too.