1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Ludicriously Low FPS - No Pausing in Single Player

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheHolyInvader, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Purzix

Purzix Void-Bound Voyager

Of course they are it's a pixelated 2D game just like terraria so it shouldn't even require a 500$ computer to run this game smoothly. I'ts just that i'm pretty sure that balancing the game + Bug fixes is their priority now.

2. RobinBanks

RobinBanks Orbital Explorer

i finaly found a fix guys, atleast for me.

the issue was that steam.exe was locked with compatibility mode greyed out while ON.
    so i followed this site: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/gaming/39417-fix-steam-thinks-its-running-compatibility-mode.html
    make sure to delete steam from both HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and check if steam.exe's compatibility mode is completely gone now
    1. Look for a entry with your path to steam.exe
    2. Delete that entry
    If you dont find it there try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
    This was the problem for me. Steam's fault. This fixed the frame loss and makes the game load faster, as it should. Thank you.

3. Vargon

Vargon Void-Bound Voyager

I'm unsure if this is common knowledge by now but I thought I'd share some insight into this. I first ran the game with an NVIDIA GeForce GT540M with absolutely abysmal performance but upon switching to the integrated Intel HD 3000 it ran much smoother. There was a noticeable difference when fighting and the FPS remained fairly stable.

Edit: Yup, it definitely has something to do with NVIDIA GPUs. Running Starbound on the Intel HD 3000 fixed the issue for me.

Edit 2: Well, it fixed it for a while. Switching processors only provided a brief respite. The game seems to randomly jump from okay performance to abysmal in the span of a few minutes.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  4. MillenniumDH

MillenniumDH Void-Bound Voyager

Which application do you change? launcher.exe or starbound.exe?

I' have a GT 550M and I don't see any difference in fps whether I run starbound.exe with intel hd or gt550. On 1920*1080 at 2x zoom, the fps changes around 25-55 in non-city areas, mostly stuck at 30 fps.

5. 5p1r17

5p1r17 Master Chief

Played for 24 hours without any crash. Now the game just dont want to open. Pressing "Play" in steam and nothing... at all... No running processes, no launcher, nothing. Tried to restart PC, reinstall game... Very strange.
    PC, Win7 x64, 16gb Ram, i7 2600

6. MillenniumDH

Have you tried verified the game integrity from steam?

7. GiantBanana

GiantBanana Void-Bound Voyager

well ive tried every every fix from 2 different forums, and i still get horrendous lag in any area where there is a structure or underground. Any new suggestions would be appreciated

8. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

I'm using a
    GTX 650 2 GB
    8 GB RAM
    FX6100 3.3 GHz

Nothing is overclocked, the game runs fairly well.
    When i see a village though, fps commits suicide.

9. Starfleet

Starfleet Intergalactic Tourist

Have you guys tried running it in Safe Mode? (OpenGL?)

10. Vargon

Vargon Void-Bound Voyager

I'll have to admit I may have jumped the gun a bit. It seemed as if switching to the HD had solved the issue but after further testing it's quite clear that the lag doesn't have much to do with the GPU. It seems to come in random intervals regardless of whether I'm using the dedicated or integrated cards.

11. Grayecastle

Grayecastle Big Damn Hero

All fixes posted have not worked for me at all. Have to come to the conclusion that either my hardware is not good enough to play it or the game has not been fitted for certain hardware "groups" I don't think it's steam because opening it independently without Steam has reaped the same results

12. MillenniumDH

I noticed that at 2x zoom level, even moving a few blocks up can change my fps from 25 to 55, and vice versa.

It's not like I can't ever see 60 fps in-game, I certainly do, but it fluctuates all the time, and the lowest fps I have gotten so far was around 20 (not considering villages or dungeons, never tested how much the fps drops there but it certainly feels like a slideshow in a crowded village).

13. 5p1r17

5p1r17 Master Chief

Yes. Tried everything. Waiting for a new update. Maybe it will be fixed, who knows...

14. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

So, in my regedit, it's now set to ~ RUNASADMIN, but now when i click LAUNCH, the game doesn't launch.
    any help?

15. Lente

Lente Aquatic Astronaut

Bulldozer FX 6300
    8gb RAM
    AMD Radeon HD 6850
    Windows 7 64 bit

Have tried all Fixes/Workarounds (opengl-version,Compatibility Mode,Run as Admin and so on...) in these Forum but nothing works for me. In the Mainmenu and on the Ship its all fine, but as soon as i get on the planet its really bad...

16. Aleryn

Aleryn Big Damn Hero

FPS seems to have improved since the latest patch. Using the OpenGL option in the new launcher, since the regular version of the game still runs badly.

17. Bloody<3

Bloody<3 Big Damn Hero

well the open gl version improved fps a bit but still no stable 60 fps on my system
    amd phenom 2 x4 3,4Ghz
    8Gb DDR3 ram
    GTX 560 TI OC

18. Grayecastle

Grayecastle Big Damn Hero

This last patch has not helped me :confused:

19. BeastofSpace

BeastofSpace Space Hobo

While on my hunt for a fps fix, I came across the config file for Starbound. It said "....
    "maxFrameskip" : 5,
    "maxPlayers" : 8,
    "maximized" : false,
    "maximizedResolution" : [ 1920, 1018 ],
    "musicVol" : 100,
    "passwordHash" : "",
    "pixelRatioIdx" : 3,
    "renderPreSleepRemainder" : 4,
    "renderPriority" : true,
    "renderSleep" : true,
    Press your attention to the underlined words. What if you changed the values? I'm not testing this because........because.

I did everything and nothing worked.
    But, it doesn't really matter, cuz my fps is LOCKED at 30. I have tried everything to make it go lower than 30.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  20. Subglaive

Subglaive Void-Bound Voyager

You sir, are amazing. The game works flawlessly for me now.