1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Ludicriously Low FPS - No Pausing in Single Player

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheHolyInvader, Dec 4, 2013.

1. MaximumRevolver

MaximumRevolver Space Spelunker

I'm hoping this is a bug and not just my laptop being a few years old...

2. crabby joe

crabby joe Space Hobo

When I enter built up areas is it's chop city,

my specs are intel core duo 3ghz
    4gb of ram
    and
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

is this enough?

3. Hoc45

Hoc45 Void-Bound Voyager

All those closed-beta streams looked pretty smooth to me. Therefore I blame Steam integration.

4. DingusKing

DingusKing Space Hobo

omfg dude i love you. this worked, my fps went from 15 to 60! finally, thanks man.

5. Bloody<3

Bloody<3 Big Damn Hero

just to tell it. i tried every possible fix when i had only 10-15 fps all the time no matter what zoom level or resolution. the registry thingy made it a bit better now i have an average of 40 fps but only if there are no big buildings like dungeons or cities and not too many light sources. the apex dungeon with the electrical fences killed it for me (15 fps again) and all that stuff happened on this rig AMD phenom 2 x4 3.4Ghz, GTX 560 TI OC and 8GB DDR3 ram

6. HeroicDoge

HeroicDoge Aquatic Astronaut

I believe it's just optimization, being that I can run BF4 on medium settings at 40-60 fps, but I run this at 25 fps.

I'll keep exploring ways to improve performance.

7. SeventhProtocol

SeventhProtocol Lucky Number 13

The Steam shortcut compatibility mode fix absolutely worked for me. I didn't realize it was in vista compatibility mode because that option was greyed out, but I clicked "Change options for all users" and that made it available to toggle. A slight framerate drop in dungeons but no longer the frustrating slideshow it was. Thanks you guys for figuring this out!

Specs:
    Intel Core i5-3470 CPU @3.20GHz
    GeForce GTX 660ti x2
    16.00 GB RAM

8. Aleryn

Aleryn Big Damn Hero

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I had framerate issues and what worked for me was the Open GL client. I will say that running the game as administrator helped slightly before I went with the openGL solution. My game didn't have any compatibility modes enabled.
    Like many, I suspect the game just isn't very well optimized yet.

Core2 Duo Quad 3.01ghz
    8gb RAM
    AMD Radeon HD 7800 with 2gb VRAM
    Windows 7 64 bit

9. Pogny

Pogny Space Spelunker

Hello,

tried the Steam shortcut compatibility mode fix, the launch in admin, the replace starbound.exe by opengl fi and it dont works.

Running smooth, but when I encounter dungeon or when I destroy sand or gravel structure the fps decrease to less than 15.

Im running on a windows 7 pro
    Intel core i7 860
    8G DDR3
    ATI HD6970 2Go

Since my pc have no issue at all on other games, I dont understand why I get fps droprate when im playing starbound (and Im playing in 1280*1024 zoom *3) the game isnt smooth in 1680*1050.

10. Zurka

Zurka Orbital Explorer

Just like Pogny.....
    I don't understand!! I try everything but 15fps max!
    window 7 64
    Amd Phenom 2 x4 965
    8G ddr3
    Nvidia gtx 660

11. Kiop

Kiop Orbital Explorer

How do I disable compatibility mode in steam?

12. Bloody<3

Bloody<3 Big Damn Hero

hmm maybe its our processor? i nearly have the same PC only using a 560 TI OC instead

13. Zurka

Zurka Orbital Explorer

Mmm no I don't think so.
    My girlfriend have a computer very cheap and she have no problem
    It's very annoyed!!

14. PS_ghost

PS_ghost Hey, You!

This is not related to anyones' particular hardware, like several other people I have a girlfriend playing the game across the room at perfect 60fps on a laptop far slower than my PC.

15. Catharsis

Catharsis Orbital Explorer

Finally the solution worked for me.
    For all those who are still stucked with this problem, you really have to pay attention to one detail :

The compatibility option for steam might be GRAYED !
    Which means, it is probably enabled but you need to go on "change option for all users" to modify it !

At first, i thought it was disabled because of this!

16. Klenne

Klenne Space Hobo

I've also got a similar problem and setup, I mostly run all my games in windowed mode, but I seem to only hover around 35-40FPS maximum with this game.

When in a settlement with other NPC's or digging through sand it rapidly drops to 15 FPS, I also can't seem to achieve a solid 60FPS outside of the main menu even when running in full screen mode.

Windows 7 64
    AMD Phenom II x4 965
    Nvidia GXT 560 TI x2
    8G DDR3

Apart from performance I'm not encountering any other issues at the moment.

17. Zurka

Zurka Orbital Explorer

It's worrrrrrrk!!! Yeeess!!! I don't know you but I LOVE YOU MAN!! ^^
    Mmmmphh seriously.... I HATE STEAM!!!
    Thanks I play with 60fps now! Ouf Merci beaucoup les amis! ;)

Catharsis likes this.
  18. PS_ghost

PS_ghost Hey, You!

This has nothing to do with Steam and was an issue caused by the starbound devs.

19. Softenik

Softenik Pangalactic Porcupine

What if i don't have Steam.exex in Local_machine and Local_user? :wut:

20. jhmemeandme

jhmemeandme Aquatic Astronaut

i am having the same thing happen to me. i will say i do not have the best graphics card but for a 2D game it takes up way to much CPU usage. is starbound going to fix this??? very big problem as most people do not have very good computers